WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I use Microspikes routinely on most winter hikes in New England (finding snow and ice nearby this year is proving to be a challenge), their spikes are about the perfect size for most situations I run into. The Hillsounds have a much more aggressive spike that is slightly longer than the Microspikes, which I use when ice gets thick or more aggressive traction is necessary. Glad to have both in my kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder River View Post
    I tried microspikes for the first time and loved them. But be aware that Kahtoola very recently updated the design, and a lot of retailers are still selling the old version. The new version has 4 spikes in the back, the the rear spikes cover closer to the edge of the heel now. (better for going downhill) I used a rented pair of microspikes on a sheer ice trail and it was mind blowing. I have not purchased a pair yet, and am also considering the Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...181326.3688336 They are a new model for Hillsound and have more spikes (18) and a lightweight design. They also come with a carry bag and the Kahtoolas do not. The two are very close in weight.
    I realize this post is two years old, but wanted to clarify something - current Kahtoola Microspikes do come with a carry bag. I got a set at Christmas that came in a nice bag to protect whatever they're carried against.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    The Hillsounds have a much more aggressive spike that is slightly longer than the Microspikes, which I use when ice gets thick or more aggressive traction is necessary. Glad to have both in my kit.
    Hmm.

I'd think the Hillsounds would be kind of crowded out in the middle. I can hardly think of conditions where I'd not trust my Microspikes but not want my full crampons.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Hmm.

I'd think the Hillsounds would be kind of crowded out in the middle. I can hardly think of conditions where I'd not trust my Microspikes but not want my full crampons.

Sure you do, It's called hiking in the Hudson Valley in the winter. Hillsound is often recommended over microspikes in many hiking groups. On a icy day on Blackhead I had microspikes, my g/f had hillsound, big difference (advantage Hillsound), though perhaps if I sharpened the microspikes it would be different.

Full crampons are often overkill, microspikes better for having to traverse on rock to get to the ice, Hillsound hold better on ice, so that is a choice, and no need for both, but both are a reasonable choice. My next pair will be Hillsound.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Hmm.

I have found some conditions where Hillsounds perform better over microspikes, but to be fair since I am in the microspikes all the time they are dulled over time where the Hillsounds are used intermittently. These would be on hikes where one would not necessarily bring crampons along.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    http://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

Best thing since the invention of the shoelace. They seem to own the market among competing products on trails in the Whites.
    Sold me Ordering mine next week once I get paid again

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++