WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gaiters?

Gaiters for snow:
    http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/accessories/gaiters/mens-crocodiles-b76dbcdb50233a9ac2503749fd0037a5.html
    And I mean SNOW. Good for postholing in a little more than a foot of snow. The bad part is that they don't breathe well. I wear synthetics under them and am okay. I have worn jeans (an impromptu after-work romp) and the jeans were wet at the end - no surprise there. These gaiters cover my shoes almost completely.

I'm not sure how deep the snow on Roan is - I would guess these would be overkill. But hey, they rock!

If you are carrying snowshoes, gaiters are less of an issue. I find that since the snow is farther away from my foot, less of it gets into my shoes.

My addition to the thread probably didn't help much :P.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Would I be better off to make my own (friend gave me a pattern)? Or, should I just buy Dirty girls?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I always wear trail runners and never had a problem with stuff getting in my shoe.I've never hiked in much snow. Worth buying a pair? I've heard alot of positive reviews about dirty girl gaiters? Thoughts ... I'm planning to do a 30-40 section next week in roan mtn area. Worth the $26 and weight???
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wear gaiters...worth every penny.
    rocksNsocks

have a great hike

Never used gaiters, didn't have a problem even in light snow.

In an ideal winter backpacking world we would all carry microspikes and gaiters and maybe a snow shovel and possibly snowshoes but the OR gaiters are around 10ozs which doesn't sound like much until you factor in food weight, fuel weight, the geese and all the rest. So, sure I'll pack the microspikes but won't pack the gaiters. Ergo--at the end of the day my boot tops are packed with snow and my socks are a mess, and so gaiters would be a plus but not mandatory as I can live with the snow inside. Get to camp---remove boots---loosen laces down to the bottom for night time freezing---shake off the now-moist socks and hang---put on my always-dry camp/sleeping socks, and don't worry about gaiters.

If you do get the Dirty Girls one trick I have found to help is to super glue the velcro to the shoe. And then carry a little extra velcro anyway. As for hiking in the snow with trail runners I have been looking at a set of these: http://www.rbhdesigns.com/product/34...ated-socks.htm Heard good things about them.

--louis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++