WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Winter hat recommendation ...down??

Can't find a quality beanie that feels good and warm...have a patagonia fleece beanie I like but doesn't cover my ears. Any users of down beanies have feedback?? I thought that down beanies would be too hot to wear while hiking. Would like one to hike and sleep in when temps warrant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A down beanie would be fine for sleeping, but between the heat & sweat, you might just want a fleece beanie while walking. I got a light fleece been in, EMS brand, on sale for cheap. Has worked great down below zero, as long as you're moving.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

This is what I wear - hiking and sleeping. A USN wool watch cap. Even works when it gets wet, and cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Genuine.../dp/B000LK1VYS

I wouldn't wear down for hiking. For sleeping there are some that the folks over on hammockforums swear by. The name is escaping me at the moment. Wait, I think it is Black Rock. I have no experience with down hats. For camp in very cold weather my down jacket has a down hood.

Shoveling, hiking, and sleeping I like this hat made from windproof fabric:
    http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/ac...rek-hat-6.html
    Otherwise, a wool watch cap is perfect and cheap and usually stretchy!
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Poly or wool toboggan. Fits in pocket, can be pulled over ears or not, wicks away moisture, warm when wet,
    can be worn under hood of rain jacket, poncho, insulated jacket, or sleeping bag. Perfect.

Does your current hat have any kind of windblocker layer?

Also, if your head is cold while hiking you may need layers elsewhere. Neck gaiter might be helpful too, or a balaclava.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Can't find a quality beanie that feels good and warm...have a patagonia fleece beanie I like but doesn't cover my ears.

Consider wearing a stretch hat over a headband.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Any wool, fleece or even acrylic beanie should be fine. I personally don't like wind block garments of any sort, but that's just me. A wool watch cap like 10k uses is less than $10, the newer fleece version is also less than $10 and truck stops/gas stations/grocery stores also often sell acrylic hats for less than $10 as well this time of the year. (Probably not it in Fla though. )

If you really want full on weather protection, consider getting a polypro balaclava in addition to the beanie. Light, inexpensive and versatile. It is a piece of gear I use in all four seasons.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Classic wool balaclava. Used for serious winter weather for many decades.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Blackrock Gear makes a down beanie with silnylon on the inside.

My favorite was a Rayway bomber hat. I don't need it while hiking, but it'd get put on as soon as I stopped for any reason.

Go on Amazon and look up Turtle Fur. The hats are long enough to cover your ears. They are made of fleece

My suggestion would be wool.. Smart Wool cuffed beanie or Wigwam wool watch cap.. the smart wool is new school and streamline the wigwam is an old school army style hat but works. But are under $30

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

If it's cold we use icebreaker merino wool balaclavas for hiking, camping, or sleeping. End of problem.

Ear bands + wool/fleece cap. My ears are pretty sensitive and if it's windy, I really like extra coverage. You also have flexibility. For real cold you wear earband + cap, if you start to get warm (like on a climb), remove cap, but keep ear band. My favorite hat has windstopper built in. (wore it today while running around sunset, it was nippy around 28 deg and windy, but I felt fine)

Images

Mountain Hardware Dome Perignon windblock fleece. Carry during colder weather and year round above timberline.
    Also carry a very lightweight poly balaclava all the time that can be rolled up as a watch cap / sleeping cap in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    Go on Amazon and look up Turtle Fur. The hats are long enough to cover your ears. They are made of fleece
    My current tuque or toboggan of choice is a Turtle Fur hat and they make several sizes of fleece hats.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    If it's cold we use icebreaker merino wool balaclavas for hiking, camping, or sleeping. End of problem.
    Yup, my go-to balaclava for winter is the Icebreaker midweight although it fits a little snug.

I use a three hat system in the winter---the balaclava first, then the Turtle Fur on top, and in extreme conditions have a down hood to my parka which can be used unsnapped and used separately if things get strange.

Here's the Icebreaker balaclava in action---oh and it matches the Icebreaker tops.

Thx all just ordered turtle fur $16 free 2 day shipping...blaze orange...like the BRG down Bernie's but $85 too steep for me

I always carry a bandanna so I consider it as an additional option of I need to keep warm. But I usually use a Mont Bell balaclava, Mount Hardwear Micro Dome Fleece, and a Black Rock limited edition something with the silnylon inside. If I need more warmth I'll add my bandanna. Every minus the bandanna is under 3oz if I remember correctly. I will also some time carry my Mountain Hardwear Rappel if needed.

Tipi
    Used my new turtle fur on a run in 35 deg and strong wind tonight on a beach run...wow can't believe how worm and comfortable..thx for rec I see campmor has them for under $10 now...going to order a few more!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++