WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    I purchased an HH Ultralite Asym for my thru. I love my RidgeRest and it fits my body perfectly stock. I'm considering not investing in an UQ and just using a 15* down bag with the RR and maybe an SPE. Is this doable with dying?

My plan is to use the RR in the shelters when extreme cold or precipitation appear to be an issue. I don't love shelters but I dont mind throwing a pad down going right to sleep either!

Unfortunately I'm in FL so actual cold weather gear testing is pretty difficult.
    I hear parts of FL are experiencing some actual winter weather, so maybe a road trip is in your future? Nothing like real-world testing!

But in actual answer to your question- it may work for fine you.
    Are you planning on using the pad in the hammock as well as in shelters? This may not be applicable to this area of the trail but it is worth thinking about.

Some people sleep comfortably with a pad in their hammock and a top quilt/sleeping bag into some pretty chilly weather. I personally found I need an UQ when hanging in the cold both because I sleep very cold and need the extra insulation, and because I squirm in my sleep and a pad ends up halfway out of the hammock quite quickly.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sparkygeek View Post
    I hear parts of FL are experiencing some actual winter weather, so maybe a road trip is in your future? Nothing like real-world testing!

But in actual answer to your question- it may work for fine you.
    Are you planning on using the pad in the hammock as well as in shelters? This may not be applicable to this area of the trail but it is worth thinking about.

Some people sleep comfortably with a pad in their hammock and a top quilt/sleeping bag into some pretty chilly weather. I personally found I need an UQ when hanging in the cold both because I sleep very cold and need the extra insulation, and because I squirm in my sleep and a pad ends up halfway out of the hammock quite quickly.
    Yes! Perhaps this weekend I will have some luck with things staying cold. I plan on using the RR pad in the shelters and in the hammock. My idea is to use a pad extender for the hammock so it doesn't slide around. UQ/TQ looks awesome but is a hefty investement I can't make right now. Something tells me I can get by without them.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Let me just say that I will dutifully follow all the park regulations when in the smokies. With a April 1 start date, i feel that there will be no trouble filling the shelters up and then legally hanging. I will carry a pad for for those times that i have to shelter. I do have a under quilt that I will use when hanging and I suppose I could use the pad under my legs and feet. I never intended to make it sound like I would deliberately break any laws.
    You didn't. Carry your pad in case you have to stay in a shelter. But, nothing wrong with hanging out to see if shelter fills up. No regulation states that you have to immediately occupy a shelter. I would, out of courtesy, try to get into the shelter, if vacancies exist, prior to everyone getting to sleep.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries

I read the regulations last night and it appears that if the shelter is full, thru hikers are required to give up their space to a section/weekend hiker who has a reservation at the shelter. So it would seem that the Park service does try to fill the shelter with section/weekend hikers and expects thru hikers fend for themselves. Works for me as I would rather hang than sleep with snoring, farting, smelly hikers and mice. that reminds me, I better add earplugs to my gear list. Happy Hiking to all.
    Blackheart

As a section hiker, I think I will avoid the GSMNP entirely. Sounds too restrictive to me.

all this belly aching and complaining across multiple threads... tell me, is there a thru hiker here who has actually been issued a ticket? seems to me to be a whole lot of moaning over a made up non-issue

but then again, shouldn't GSMNP defer all policies and procedures to the great and legendary thru hikers?

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    all this belly aching and complaining across multiple threads... tell me, is there a thru hiker here who has actually been issued a ticket? seems to me to be a whole lot of moaning over a made up non-issue
    I don't know, but I'd hate to be the one they decide to make an example out of. It's only 75 miles out of 2200, you can play by the rules for a couple of days.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    did you have a hammock with pad??
    Yes

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

i dont have a problem with the regulations, i'm not fond of shelters but i've slept in them, and in the smokes thats just the way it is. it certainly isn't the end of the world... it just seems like theres at least three threads going right now that basically boil down to how to game the system

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker170 View Post
    As a section hiker, I think I will avoid the GSMNP entirely. Sounds too restrictive to me.
    I felt that way too! Started backpacking again in 2003. I've been avoiding the Smokies for section hikes since then, but finally took the plunge last Labor Day weekend. I still have mixed feelings about the Smokies, but am excited to return to finish up the AT through the park this spring/summer.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I felt that way too! Started backpacking again in 2003. I've been avoiding the Smokies for section hikes since then, but finally took the plunge last Labor Day weekend. I still have mixed feelings about the Smokies, but am excited to return to finish up the AT through the park this spring/summer.
    Spring boarding off your post, a comment to all. I don't understand all the ha-doo about hiking through the smokies. Fond memories are formed by all the situations we encounter, whatever they may be, and what we encounter there just adds to our experiences.

I say just take whatever comes in the smokies (within our hiking experience and abilities) and don't force things to go a certain way. That usually results in a more pleasant hike.

My philosophical statement for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    This is pretty much how I felt and I skipped them when I got to Fontana and picked up at I-40 and went north. I Just dreaded the "must stay in shelters" syndrome. But I went thru there 3 weeks ago and had a couple of them all to myself so it wasn't that bad. Really enjoyed it as a matter of fact--bad weather and all.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post

but then again, shouldn't GSMNP defer all policies and procedures to the great and legendary thru hikers?
    the only time I saw a bunch of tickets issued was april of 78 - so much for the bad "new" rules

commonly it takes 2 things to get a ticket: blatant violation and get mouthy with the ranger

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker170 View Post
    Agreed.... There are plenty of other sections between springer and PA that don't require such nonsense. Instead of mailing equipment forward, I think I would shuttle MYSELF forward from fontana dam to I-40 and just keep walking.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I read the regulations last night and it appears that if the shelter is full, thru hikers are required to give up their space to a section/weekend hiker who has a reservation at the shelter. So it would seem that the Park service does try to fill the shelter with section/weekend hikers and expects thru hikers fend for themselves. Works for me as I would rather hang than sleep with snoring, farting, smelly hikers and mice. that reminds me, I better add earplugs to my gear list. Happy Hiking to all.
    From what I understood (at least of the old system), the park service kept a few spots in the shelter for thru hikers. So if the capacity of the shelter is 16, they may only make 12 available to those with general permits. But if 6 thru hikers showed up, and all 12 general permit holder showed up, 2 of the thru hikers are supposed to relinquish their spots to the general permit holders.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    From what I understood (at least of the old system), the park service kept a few spots in the shelter for thru hikers. So if the capacity of the shelter is 16, they may only make 12 available to those with general permits. But if 6 thru hikers showed up, and all 12 general permit holder showed up, 2 of the thru hikers are supposed to relinquish their spots to the general permit holders.
    Yep, that's how it works. I thru hiked the Smokies last year and my group of 5 were at a Spence Field shelter (capacity 12) and a group of 8 high school seniors with permit and 2 other thru hikers. 3 of my group camped outside the shelter. They preferred it anyway. Next morning, I was an early riser and took off before everyone. When my group caught back up, I found out the rangers had stopped by and interrogated the 3 camping about permits and why they were camping. The high school kids spoke up for them. All turned out well. So yeah, each shelter gets up to 4 thru's and everyone else with a permit stays in shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I went through the Smokies in early April and never saw a park ranger or ridge runner. Just sayin'.
    I went through the Smokies in April 2012 and out of 5 nights three times there were ridge runners present. Twice they stayed the night.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Journal Entries

The main reason I asked about this situation is being new to hammocks, I wanted to know what extra equipment I would need to carry to sleep in a shelter. I now know what is needed. While I would prefer to hang, I am going to follow the regulation set forth in the GSMNP.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Historically, either 3 or 4 spaces have been held for thru hikers, but only during prime thru hiker season. That practice was maintained in 2013, with 4 spaces being held out of those otherwise available for reservation. For this year, the hold-out appears to start on Feb 26.

All GRSM AT shelters have a capacity of 12, except Russell Field which is 14.

I have been told in the past that one could hike a mile or so down a side trail to backcountry sites without shelters. If this is still the case do you need reservations and permits for each such specific date overnight stay? Can you get these as you enter the park?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++