WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Charging electronics on the AT

How easy is it to charge electronics on the AT? Not expecting to be able to in shelter, but wondering how difficult it is to keep a device charged. I am bringing an IPhone to listen to books on occasion and make checkin calls/texts with. Does anyone have experience with solar chargers if power isn't readily accessible?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this.

Bear
    NOBO 2014 starting March 19th

I don't think you would have too much luck with a solar charger, rather look into an external charging device such as the NewTrent products. I use the iTorch and can get 2-3 full charges on my phone with that. You won't need to rely on that too much if you put your phone on airplane mode and turn the brightness down the battery should last until your next town stop.

You may find some outlets in the shelters.

And I second what's mentioned above. Airplane more and dim everything. Phone should easily last in between resupplies. Keep it warm at night. The cold drains them quickly. Solar charges probably don't help much on the AT. But I've noticed the big flat chargers work the best..YMMV....

I've been eyeing the new Brunton hydrogen reactor. A bit pricey but could be a great solution if someone at home can recharge and send them out to you. I've yet to inquire if the laded ones are USPS approved so YMMV.

Images

A cheaper device with approx the same capacity of the NewTrent options is the Kmashi 806. I've used both and both work well.

Journal Entries

How about leaving all that crap at home and learning from nature ; listen to the night and mornings around you. Talk with people and dogs; bring a book or poems; what a concept get off the damn grid.

Quote Originally Posted by CELTIC BUCK View Post
    How about leaving all that crap at home and learning from nature ; listen to the night and mornings around you. Talk with people and dogs; bring a book or poems; what a concept get off the damn grid.
    Or stay on it if you prefer.

DEFINITELY talk with the dogs

im bringing a small solar charger that i can just throw on the back of my pack and charge when i hike! its 1 of my 3 luxury weights, i got it on sale for 22$ so if craps out i can just toss it and charge every fews days in towns!

i brought my easyacc 12000 on a cabin trip last weekend. it kept my tablet charged the entire 4days there, the 16 hour round trip car ride and random people charging their phones.

One thing I definitely do not recommend is the Solio Bolt. You will never be able to charge the thing and with an I phone 5s I don't even get a full charge out of the internal battery.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

AMEN! I enjoy being off the grid. I only used the camera function of my iphone while on the AT, however while in resupply mode I used other functions. Hike your own hike, and if you choose to fill your mind with off trail stuff, it is not my concern.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

In my thru I had a 4S which I used as a music player for on average about 50 hours in between charging at hostels and hotels. Had it on airplane mode whenever I wasn't in town and I don't think it ever died on me when I was out. Having one of those external battery packs might be a good idea but I never needed it. From what I saw the solar chargers rarely worked. Also I never ran into a shelter with power, not once. I guess I was staying at the wrong ones.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc5294 View Post
    In my thru I had a 4S which I used as a music player for on average about 50 hours in between charging at hostels and hotels. Had it on airplane mode whenever I wasn't in town and I don't think it ever died on me when I was out. Having one of those external battery packs might be a good idea but I never needed it. From what I saw the solar chargers rarely worked. Also I never ran into a shelter with power, not once. I guess I was staying at the wrong ones.

What? No electric power at the shelters on the AT. Dang it. Guess I will thru the PCT and use those shelters.

I used a hand crank radio and light combo. It had a solar charger on it, but never had enough sunlight to get it to actually work. The crank worked well enough in between towns and hostels. It was a bit bulky for the pack, but I did enjoy having the radio and extra light at camp.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today" jimmy dean

I saw a few outlets in shelters. Some lights too. Some enterprising individual installed them. Of course, there was no power to them. It was amusing to watch people trying to make them work.

There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Check out Biolitestove.com. Cooking fire and charger.

I bit the bullet, sort of, and ordered the Brunton Hydrogen Reactor. I used Moosejaw rewards points so I didn't really bite any bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndCharter View Post
    I bit the bullet, sort of, and ordered the Brunton Hydrogen Reactor. I used Moosejaw rewards points so I didn't really bite any bullet.
    No you didn't...sounds like ole MooseJaw bit the bullet on this one...Score! enjoy your electrons

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++