WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Food drops between Caledonia state park and Pine Grove Furnace State Park

I am planing a short hike in April from Caledonia State Park to Pine Grove Furnance State Park.
    I will be celebrating my 70th Birthday and intend to do approx. 70 miles.
    i thru hiked the trail in 2009 but looking at My old journal notes I don't recall any convenient places to leave a few food drops to make my hike a light weight and easier trek. I would like to carry about 20-22 lbs and was hoping to pick up a food drop every 2nd day. Any info. You can provide would be helpful.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There is nothing between these two points that I remember. I assume you're not considering Caledonia itself? The best I can figure is to see if Junker will accept a drop for you and then arrange to get it to you. PM me if you need his info.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

My error, I actually meant to say Garthland State Park near the Dahlgreen Campsite will be my starting point.
    I figure that will give me my 70 miles to Pine Grove Furnace..... ( Senior Moment?)

You could hitch or hike into Rouzerville or Waynesboro on Rte. 16 just a few miles into PA. There's a Food Lion (2.3 miles) and Walmart (2 mi from trail.) Waynesboro is 5 miles off trail and has a good grocery, restaurants, motels, etc. I don't know what is at Blue Ridge Summit, east of the trail, though the data book says there's a PO 1.6 from the trail. The Companion also says there's a good grocery in Cascade near Pen Mar about 1.5 from the trail.

The small grocery near the trail at Caledonia SP (Rte. 30) is out of business, though there's a Rutters minimart a mile or so farther where you could pick up enough for a couple of days.

You could also hitch a little further down 30 to Walmart....

You can send one to me. I live a 1000' from the trail half way between Calidonia and Pine Grove Furnace at the Shippensburg Rd trail head. I'll PM you with the mailing info. I guess Teacher forgot about that, but that does not surprise me.

You could use a bear canister and stash it in the woods.

Birchy, since you're only one day from the end of his hike, I assumed he was looking for something closer to the Penn/MD border.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    You can send one to me. I live a 1000' from the trail half way between Calidonia and Pine Grove Furnace at the Shippensburg Rd trail head. I'll PM you with the mailing info. I guess Teacher forgot about that, but that does not surprise me.
    Sorry Birchy...I did think of you actually, but I didn't know you were that close to the trail. All I knew was that you and your Mom maintained Birch Run Shelter. Thanks for the reminder that you offer drops, etc.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    You could hitch or hike into Rouzerville or Waynesboro on Rte. 16 just a few miles into PA. There's a Food Lion (2.3 miles) and Walmart (2 mi from trail.) Waynesboro is 5 miles off trail and has a good grocery, restaurants, motels, etc. I don't know what is at Blue Ridge Summit, east of the trail, though the data book says there's a PO 1.6 from the trail. The Companion also says there's a good grocery in Cascade near Pen Mar about 1.5 from the trail.

The small grocery near the trail at Caledonia SP (Rte. 30) is out of business, though there's a Rutters minimart a mile or so farther where you could pick up enough for a couple of days.
    I would hitch to the Walmart from Old Forge park, that's about half way into your trip.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate all of the input. Last year when I did Shenandoah Narional Park again, I left food drops at the campgrounds and lodges. My wife and I drove south and dropped off the food where they held it for me at their front desk or office. I'm hoping to do the same this time. We will drive up from Florida and then figure out just where to leave the food drops. Birchy, thank you for the offer. I wil contact you when I am ready to leave and then will touch base when we arrive. Again, thanks to all for the input. The hiking community is a great community. Remind me to tell the story about a tug of war with a small bear at the Dahlgreen campground during my thru hike in 2009!

Free State Hostel accepts maildrops for a $2 fee.

++ New Posts ++