Default Bear Can and Ice Axe for sale

Hi,

I have an unused Black Diamond Ice Axe and a Bear Vault BV500 for sale if anyone is interested. I bought both for my thru-hike last year. Not enough snow in the Sierra Range to warrant carrying the thing so it is unused. The bear can I carried from Red's Meadow to Bridgeport, it's in good shape too. If you're interested in one, or both make an offer. I hope to never carry that can again! Oh, and remember, you don't have to carry a bear can out of Kennedy Meadows. My brother and I only carried ours for about 100 miles, everyone else carried them for 300. And we did not break any National Park rules.

...everyone else carried them(bear canisters) for 300(miles).

That's not legally required. Everyone? 300 miles? You might be exaggerating a bit or you hiked with some mentally challenged PCTers.

What model BD Ice Axe?

Default Bear Can and Ice Axe for sale

How much for best vault?

I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm curious how you hiked all the way to Red's without a canister. Did you stick to the bear boxes in Kings Canyon and then time each day such that you were able to avoid required canister areas?

If I can send my canister to Red's or Mammoth rather than Kennedy Meadows and still be legal that could make possible an additional day of food carry at no additional net weight (since my canister is two pounds). Could make Kennedy Meadows to VVR more realistic for me without a stop in Lone Pine or sending a box to Onion Valley. Thanks.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

RN-PCT2015
    If you look in Yogi's notes she provides all the required bear can areas. Most of them from Kennedy to Red's aren't more than a few miles in length. I think there was one that was over 20 miles but there are plenty of bear boxes in that area. When I went through I didn't have to spend my evenings in a crowded campsite just because I didn't have a bear can. I did carry a bear bag in that area though.

Wecorey
    The Bear Vault 500 goes for about $60 new. I don't know how much shipping would cost but I'll let the can go for $40.

Dogwood
    Kennedy Meadow's is about mile 703 and Bridgeport, or Sonora pass, is about mile 1018. Most of the hikers had their bear cans shipped to Kennedy Meadow's and carried them until Sonora Pass, which is just over 300 miles. Red's Meadow is about mile 907, so I guess I carried my can for about 111 miles, if you want to be specific. As I said, carrying the can from Kennedy Meadow's is not necesarry but it seemed that the majority did it anyway. I think most of them carried their cans this long because people like Yogi suggest it in their notes. Alot of the other hiker's didn't know that they weren't required for the entire span of the section. Stop calling people mentally challenged. And the Ice Axe is a Raven 80cm.

++ New Posts ++