WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Trader Joe's

Images

Default Trader Joe's

There is a Trader Joe's in Wilmington, Delaware across the street from a new supplier I got for work. What do they sell things that you think are good to take on hiking or camping trips? Other then Cliff bars

TY
    KK
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    There is a Trader Joe's in Wilmington, Delaware across the street from a new supplier I got for work. What do they sell things that you think are good to take on hiking or camping trips? Other then Cliff bars

TY
    KK
    We love their trail mixes and the Just Mango and Pineapple slices. The organic chocolate is pretty darn yummy too.

Images

Trader Joes really only sells trail food. we call it the snack store.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

All varieties of nuts, granola based cereal, and the cheese and pesto tortellini are my favorite TJ items for backpacking. The tortellini does require multiple reheats and waiting time in pot cozy but I really like it compared to always eating mac & cheese or ramen.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    Trader Joes really only sells trail food. we call it the snack store.
    I second that. Best meals ever have been when I did my shopping at Trader Joes before a hike.

Also instant mashed potatoes - 2 individual bags in a box, couscous, and various quick cooking rices.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

The mango comes in smaller packages at less cost. I usually get the flattened banana about $2.

Trader Joe's is awesome... the hubby just picked up a bunch of trail food snacks for us when we hike in May.. .love it! He was in Raleigh, NC.
    Roanoke is supposed to be getting a Trader Joe's in a couple of years. (rumor has it) If we do, I'll shuttle all my hiker friends there for a resupply when you come through Daleville. Good stuff!!

Guess I am not the only one who likes their dried mango snacks. Good stuff. I prefer the trail mix from Whole Paycheck, er, Whole Foods.

--louis

TJ's loose trail bars(singles) aren't all that hard to find elsewhere anyway although occasionally they have sales on them. If you dig Cliff Bars wally World and Target sell them SOMETIMES for 89 cts each and sometimes 3 for $2. But you'd be bettere off buying a bozx of 6 which comes out cheaper per bar.

Check out TJ's organic hot cocoa mix and all in one coffee w/ creamer w/ sugar singles packets. They might appeal to ya. TJ's also sells Edward and Sons dried Miso Soup packages and Seaweed Snacks.

http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-f...article_id=927

http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-In.../dp/B0078OYZWK and
    http://m.traderjoes.com/fearless-fly...article_id=474

http://thehungryartist.wordpress.com...and-miso-soup/

Images

I sure do wish you could order online from TJ's. The nearest store is 3 hours away in Portland.

+1 on TJ's mashed potatoes too. I'm having a harder and harder time getting single serving mashed potatoes for trail use that DO NOT contain hydrogenated oils and taste as palatable as shredded cardboard. Butter Buds dried sprinkles(available at TJs), some dried chives, and a chopped piece of fresh garlic goes a long way for me in unflavored mashed tatters. Sometimes, when having a hard time locating the Butter Buds I add EVOO an Italian herbs to the mashed tatters.

Hey ya know... we should suggest, to that guy that wants to start a rolling resupply shuttle service, to stock his ride with all things Trader Joe's. Whatta you think DW, great idea?
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 01-28-2014 at 13:45.

They have some trail mixes that are good. Pretty sure one that I liked a lot was a "tropical" trail mix.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

There's a trader Joes in Marlton(near the REI) I sometimes hit up before a hike. Marlton draws me in like a hoity toity yuppie New Ager - REI, EMS, Starbucks, TJs, and Whole Foods.

Quote Originally Posted by ocasey3 View Post
    I sure do wish you could order online from TJ's. The nearest store is 3 hours away in Portland.

I can't vouch for the prices compared to the bricks-and-mortar stores, but you can get many Trader Joe items HERE

Bulky packaging but almost weightless is a package of their dried seaweed snack sheets. Good for getting some sea veggies and minerals into your diet. I crumble them into a small ziplock and shake a little into my dinners.

Best price I can find for Raw Almonds around my local.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pipsissewa View Post
    I can't vouch for the prices compared to the bricks-and-mortar stores, but you can get many Trader Joe items HERE
    I have seen their stuff on Amazon but the prices are much higher because they are not being sold by Trader Joe's. I have been tempted but I'll probably just have to deal with my withdrawal symptoms until we can get back to the store and stock up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++