Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rainbow Gathering Ocala 2014

http://flrainbow.org/Ocala/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Gathering

I've never been to one of these Rainbow Gatherings so this year I'm going to check it out for myself. Anybody been to one? Your thoughts?

Regional Rainbows are so much better than Nationals, although this may have changed since my last National was in '87 and my last regionals were in the mid 80's at Shining Rock in NC. Wait, I did a South Carolina Regional in '92.

Most here will probably chime in about trash and stink and hippies and all the rest---but the whole point of the thing is our right to gather. Who knows, maybe this February gathering in Florida will get snow and stay at 20F.

I've been to two.
    One in Alabama: Lots of police prescence and a bit scary for that reason.
    One in CA: Much cooler scene with skinny dipping, sharing of just about anything and everything and cool people.

Alabama was on my way to start the CDT in '98.
    CA was in the middle of my PCT hike in '96.
    So, yeah, it's been a while for me too.
    But, I would definitely go check it out if I was anywhere near there.
    Bring stuff to trade. (artsy stuff, even an old cook kit, things that you can use there but are different than the norm)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Gathering

I've never been to one of these Rainbow Gatherings so this year I'm going to check it out for myself. Anybody been to one? Your thoughts?
    The FL link would not open for me...do you know the date, I may be hiking that area in a couple of weeks.

Same here! It would be good to know those dates . I will also be hiking ONF mid Feb. ! I thought I read somewhere that they would not be gathering in that area this year! I may be wrong!

Images

I have hiked when they were in the area they seem harmless but def a strange experience lots of dope smoking that's for sure it was everywhere. Read they could not get a permit this year, but some we're saying going anyway in protest.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

Evidently they are gathering this year here are the details

they don't want to get a permit, they reject any sort of hierarchy within their lack of organization, i've been to both nationals and regionals. sometimes things can get out of hand in alarming ways. either from the leo's or from elements within. they have some interesting ways, and what they do they do well through years of trial and error. not quite the radical self reliance of burning man, more an attempt at a temporary utopian society. its been a very long time for me since i hung with them, i would check http://www.welcomehome.org/

I did a hike thru Ocala NF last Feb, they were at Hopkins Prairie in Ocala NF last February, their camp sat directly on the orange blaze FT route in Hopkins Prairie. It is perfectly safe to hike thru that area while they are there, nobody will bother you. They met in a "Trading Circle" in the middle of the prairie most every afternoon where they barter for goods, food, services ... .they told me this all takes place without money. There were several hundred of them there when I went through, all ages including parents with young kids and babies. There are what I would call subgroups within the gathering. Some of the subgroups are more mellowed out, others can get more rowdy. There's usually a "non-achohol" zone, and an "alchohol zone". I'm not sure how well the Forest Service folks like all this, but these folks exercise their right to gather in the woods. It's a shame some of these folks also leave their garbage out in the woods and don't clean up after themselves. Of course this can happen at any public place. Overall a very interesting experience. Not sure I would camp there overnight, the feeling was like falling asleep in a Greyhound bus station, not sure what of my stuff would still be there.

The links opens for me.
    I can only go by what I've read. The Ocala event has been a controversial one for the last several years. Marion County residents, who consider many of the attendees to be undesirables, has recently passed a no panhandling law so you can expect the sheriff dept to be cracking down.
    Some say the event isn't what it's suppose to be - a place where artist and musicians gather to enjoy themselves in the woods - but it's become a place where the 20 year olds come to have a beer party in the woods. Anyway, I'll see for myself. Here's a google link of past images.

I learned about libertarians taking liberties with their liberty at the library. While liking libertarians, I love librarians.

I've not actually been to an event, but have read about them. Here is my understanding.

The theory: a utopian cashless society and gathering of artists akin to Woodstock.
    The Reality: lots of trash left behind, local businesses will experience a rash of shoplifting.

I suppose the theory could make for an interesting weekend, but the reality has me shying away.
    I understand the freeloaders of the original concept are called Drainbows. Like others have indicated, I wouldn't bring anything valuable or leave anything unsecured.

as far as the trash left behind, i'd like to call foul on that, there are groups that remain after all rainbow events to clean up and do remediation of the site. if anyone is interested i'll find references to past events that back this up. the rainbows usually leave the area in better shape than when they arrived, and studies of nationals sites over the years have shown the environment recovers and prospers. they are not just talk, they walk the walk as well

stay away from drunk camp, unless thats your thing. avoid the drainbows. like any community (ahem ahem) there are elements that bring a bad name to larger community

its been years, but im still a proud member of granola funk camp, best soup in town while it lasts

please don't jump to any conclusions, they mean no harm to people or place

Ocala has had it's issues the last few years, but there are ALWAYS people who stay behind and do clean up, like Hill Ape said. I think part of the reason Ocala sometimes attracts more of a party atmosphere is timing. It's the first big, open gathering/event after/during the winter, and a lot of people attend with a lot of cabin fever o burn off.

It's a different experience to be certain, but IMHO a great one. If you go in with an open mind, and take the time to learn how things run, and actively engage in taking part, not just sitting back and watching, it's a great thing, very eye opening. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing time in the woods, while Rainbow Gatherings are relaxing in their own ways, look elsewhere.

Also, pretty sure dates are Feb 1st through the 14th or 16th.

I've run into gatherings stuff left out in Hopkins Prairie before. Pretty sad. As with any large group there will be bad apples, I just wish they would not haul their stuff down the trail.

Like most anything else, Americans have a tendency to ruin a good thing. In the old days I favored the National gatherings and thought nothing about them or the crowds they gathered. Now I have changed my perspective and do not believe a large group of humans should gather in any of our woods or forests, for obvious reasons. It's all part of my Leave No Trace ethics and mindset.

As usual, the local chapter of the Florida Trail Association will be at the Lake Mary site a week afterward to clean up the aftermath. I wish the Rainbowers would simply use Leave No Trace practices, that way there would be little to clean up. Instead it seems like they trash the site and try to clean up after, not LNT at all. I'm sure some try to follow LNT, but a large majority simply do not care. We find nails driven into trees, cans and trash half buried or buried in pits, tons of toilet paper and wipes laying on the ground. Dozens of fire pits scattered throughout the area along with abandoned and broken tents.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...writethru.html

http://helenair.com/news/local/state...9bb2963f4.html

http://mtpr.org/post/breaking-down-c...mily-gathering

regionals are not nationals, not even the same folk, much like the hippy kids that follow phish are not the dead heads of old. its a shame so many regional gatherings have given a bad name to the nationals

Images

They name their camps and hang handwritten signs asking for food, soap, cookware, etc some of the list were quite long and pretty specific. They art not allowed to camp on the trail have to be so many feet from the FT. Last year was a heavy presence of officers driving around and also parking and hiking sections to keep order. When you past them they say Welcome Home to you and dress like I guess you can say in a hippie fashion but most of them were pretty dirty LOL not clean hippies. We saw a huge massage table approx 5 miles from the nearest exit can't imagine hauling that thing way out there. Also more kids than I expected sad really. As I said before lots of drugs smoking openly everywhere we saw. I never felt fear but have to say did not let myself get comfortable and made sure we were clear,of,them before camping.

Registered User michael rowlands's Avatar
    Images

Default rainbows

Quote Originally Posted by Ladytrekker View Post
    They name their camps and hang handwritten signs asking for food, soap, cookware, etc some of the list were quite long and pretty specific. They art not allowed to camp on the trail have to be so many feet from the FT. Last year was a heavy presence of officers driving around and also parking and hiking sections to keep order. When you past them they say Welcome Home to you and dress like I guess you can say in a hippie fashion but most of them were pretty dirty LOL not clean hippies. We saw a huge massage table approx 5 miles from the nearest exit can't imagine hauling that thing way out there. Also more kids than I expected sad really. As I said before lots of drugs smoking openly everywhere we saw. I never felt fear but have to say did not let myself get comfortable and made sure we were clear,of,them before camping.
    I live in the area in Hopkins in Florida where the fire issue was last year. The rainbows had a large fire in the middle of a grassy field and was burning trash in 35 mph winds. I am a 4000 miler of the A.T. and am hiker friendly and camping friendly. I however with the rainbows would wish they just go away. Too much scumbags tailing with the good ones. Enforcement of laws should just be enforced and the problem childs would be in jail.. There is much drug use . They were camping illegally here in the forest this year during the GENERAL gun. Forestry would not enforce this simple safety rule . My house last year came within minutes of burning down. God help them if my house is at risk again. Michael Rowlands, Ft, McCoy florida

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++