WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AT- Va 603 & AT Va 11 trailhead security?

We are about to do a very short section and wondered about an update on the parking (security) at the respective trailhead lots. Specifically Va 603 has a parking lot; Va 11 is near the I-81 exchange. I know there are a couple gas stations & a restaurant ( The Barn).

Anyone been there? Parked there? Concerns or vandalism issues? Thank you.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Where is 603? In Daleville (either cut your hike a little short or go just a little bit farther) I would leave my car at the Kroger parking lot, in front of the outfitter, Outdoor Trails, but at the end of the parking lot. It's just 1/4 mile north of the trail crossing on 220.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...&sectionID=171

Here's a link I found for VA 603

Hikerhead is correct about the option of leaving your car in Daleville. If you wanted to park your car at VA 11 there is a small parking lot, right there, where the trail crosses Rt. 11 not far from I-81 interchange. I know that your car would be fine there.

Images

I think the OP means US 11, at the Groseclose/Atkins exit on I-81.

You can park at The Barn if you go inside and ask permission. You can park at the little motel for a small daily fee. Either one should be fine.

VA 603 is the Fox creek trailhead. There is a parking area, and a popular horse camp across the street. There have been some issues over the years, similar to a lot of other remote parking areas. I've parked there many times with no bad outcomes, but that's no guarantee.

Nice sexton for a hike. Hope you enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

These lots are used regularly and I have not heard of any problems with them.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I think the OP means US 11, at the Groseclose/Atkins exit on I-81.

You can park at The Barn if you go inside and ask permission. You can park at the little motel for a small daily fee. Either one should be fine.

VA 603 is the Fox creek trailhead. There is a parking area, and a popular horse camp across the street. There have been some issues over the years, similar to a lot of other remote parking areas. I've parked there many times with no bad outcomes, but that's no guarantee.

Nice sexton for a hike. Hope you enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Oh yes, You are right, bigcranky!! Thanks!

Sorry for the confusion, Golfhiker. I think the Barn would allow you to park there. Have a great time!

Thanks to all. This is just what I was hoping to learn. We head out in two weeks. Hoping for decent weather!
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

++ New Posts ++