WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default CURRENT trail conditions in Georgia

In the next 7-10 days I'll be hiking GA from Dicks Creek Gap to Springer. Can anyone give me CURRENT trail conditions over this section, especially at the higher elevations. Is there current snow/ice depths at elevation?
    Rebel

I haven't been able to leave my subdivision for a couple days, so I only know what I read on the internet. Here is a picture posted on Tuesday by Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap:

But based on the current forecast it should be all gone when you hike.

I live in Tiger, Ga near Dicks Creek crossing. About 3-4 inches of snow here(2400 ft)with everything frozen. Higher elevations, like the trail, will have more. No melting right now. Temp has gotten above freezing and I don't hold much hope for it getting above freezing. Was cutting wood Tuesday just below the gap and the mountains were already white. Weather is supposed to be warmer as we get closer to the weekend. Snow heavier to the south.

Whoops, should proof read better. Meant to say that temps have not gotten above freezing.

I wonder how many still want to start thier thru in Febuary ?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

plenty of snow on the ground in ellijay, its been damn cold, supposed to warm this weekend though... roads were crippled for a variety of reasons over the last few days, gov deal really fell down on the job, gave a hilariously scary press conference. kids on buses upwards of 7 hours, diverted to the nearest school. they slept at the schools, many parents are only just now able to locate their children

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    plenty of snow on the ground in ellijay, its been damn cold, supposed to warm this weekend though... roads were crippled for a variety of reasons over the last few days, gov deal really fell down on the job, gave a hilariously scary press conference. kids on buses upwards of 7 hours, diverted to the nearest school. they slept at the schools, many parents are only just now able to locate their children
    My son is current in Mountain Phase of Ranger School in N. Ga. They were supposed to be doing the mountaineering work this week but I suspect that got delayed. Maybe they got to sleep in and eat lots of hot food in the barracks but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I wonder how many still want to start thier thru in Febuary ?
    The word out on the FB 2014 hiking pages is that some are planning to change their start date in Feb. and some are not! I just shake my head & wish them the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    Advice to Atlanta; DO NOT send Schools, Government & private business all home at the same time. Maybe send a couple trucks out on the major hwys and pre-treat. Just a thought.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    My son is current in Mountain Phase of Ranger School in N. Ga. They were supposed to be doing the mountaineering work this week but I suspect that got delayed. Maybe they got to sleep in and eat lots of hot food in the barracks but I doubt it.
    Yeah, doubt that. Hope he's warm though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

lol, doubt they slept in, your son is having a great time in the snow, with no delay, on belay down my yonah, this is outstanding training weather... wish him luck

Rangers Lead The Way.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Rangers Lead The Way.

........behind MARINES!
    Enough is OK, too much is just right.

++ New Posts ++