WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Appalachian Trail Crew - 2014 Season Trail Crew Schedule

While you're waiting for your year to thru hike, or, to give back after you've completed a thru or section hike, consider volunteering a week of your time on one of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's Trail Crews. You'll meet a diverse group of fun people and maybe get some ideas for your thru hike. Check out this link: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/crew...09-6ccdf2ca88-

I did 4 weeks of crew the year before I thru-hiked the AT and now have nearly a half year of crew weeks. I'll be returning this year and for as long as I'm able and the ATC will have me.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Thanks for the thread, handlebar. I've joined my local meet up group that goes out on the AT for trail maintenance projects. I haven't been able to sign up for one yet but I will.

THX Handlebar. It'll be interesting to see how many post to this thread.

Also remember the small local parks! They can often use help and are the only wilderness for a lot of people.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Our local AMC has a trail maintenance volunteer program (since there's no AT in RI). It's been our plan to do something with them at the culmination of our "adventure". My hope is that the trail world will be something that sticks with Snacktime and that he feels the desire/need to give back.

Personally, I would love to do a week with the ATC somewhere....lugging, loading, clearing, hauling, sweating, stinking, laughing and knowing I'm doing a good thing. What an experience that would be!
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 02-01-2014 at 12:09.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Hey Teacher and Snacktime,

If you'd like, you can join me and Kathy in the spring time when we go out to do our boundary monitoring. Not the same as trail crew work but you'll get to sleep in your own bed at night, or you could camp at Graymoor.

proud Konnarock Crew Alumni here--three years and counting! I applied for a ridge runner position this year too

Quote Originally Posted by SevenPines View Post
    proud Konnarock Crew Alumni here--three years and counting! I applied for a ridge runner position this year too
    Awesome SevenPines!!

++ New Posts ++