WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bring back the wolves and mountain lions and that'll reduce the number of coyotes. This will also allow the fox to rebound. So say that lyme disease is so prevalent because of the lack of foxes with are more of a predator of the little rodents (especially mice) than the coyotes.

That's what the PBS Nature show was saying. There are eastern wolves(smaller than their western wolf kin), coyotes(both urban and rural and eastern as well as western), and hybrids of coyotes/wolves(coywolves). The show also said that sometimes we mistake eastern wolves as coyotes as they are sometimes about the same size. I thought it was a good show with some real life honest to goodness first hand scientific studies/info regarding coyotes and coywolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Bring back the wolves and mountain lions and that'll reduce the number of coyotes. This will also allow the fox to rebound. So say that lyme disease is so prevalent because of the lack of foxes with are more of a predator of the little rodents (especially mice) than the coyotes.
    I usually proof read my posts, but I'm too tired ... too much damn running this week

I have to respect any animal that's smart enough to survive us humans trying to wipe them out...even rats, which I don't especially like.

Images
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Please show me some credible proof coyotes are significantly preying upon agricultural livestock. !
    if you want proof come on out next fall and see it ( blood and feathers) - a big local turkey operation has peak losses of 4 per night

-

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    you should be aware that this is the exact same form of argument that PETA uses when they claim that killing a human is wrong, there killing a cow is wrong therefore killing a rat is wrong.
    from the entity that kills more furry critters than any other

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    if you want proof come on out next fall and see it ( blood and feathers) - a big local turkey operation has peak losses of 4 per night
    As I said, 'Please show me some credible proof coyotes are significantly preying upon agricultural livestock.'

This is typical of human hunter mentality. http://articles.philly.com/2014-01-2...ion-state-farm. It may be many of those coyote kills and poisonings occur at the hands of human hunters who kill coyotes out of protecting what they THINK SHOULD BE THERE RESOURCE ALONE - deer, elk, moose - their HUMAN DESIRE to hunt and kill species like deer and elk means they have to compete with coyotes or wolves AND THEY DO NOT LIKE HAVING TO COMPETE WITH A WILD ANIMAL FOR WHAT THEY ASSUME SHOULD BE ALL THEIRS FOR THE TAKING.

It happens with bears, elephants, leopards, tigers, sharks, alligators, great apes, mountain lions, etc. as well - basically any animal man has to compete with. It should be all ours!

-

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    In the human dominated world the yote has won the race for versatility - there is more to it than just "bringing back" wolf, lion etc, if they cannot win the adaptation race they will not stay around

to bring nature into sustainable equilibrium (until the sun runs out of fuel ) largely unaffected by humans would require an estimated reduction of people to 25 million - thats right, out of every 280 - 279 of us need to go ( a level that probably last occurred over 20,00 years ago), not too likely in the near future, instead population will likely peak out at around 25 billion, so think about 1.5 billion in the US - the nasty things presently done to enhance agricultural production are nothing compared to what is coming

-

As I said, 'Please show me some credible proof coyotes are significantly preying upon agricultural livestock.'

This is typical of human hunter mentality. http://articles.philly.com/2014-01-2...ion-state-farm. It may be many of those coyote kills and poisonings occur at the hands of human hunters who kill coyotes out of protecting what they THINK SHOULD BE THERE RESOURCE ALONE - deer, elk, moose - their HUMAN DESIRE to hunt and kill species like deer and elk means they have to compete with coyotes or wolves AND THEY DO NOT LIKE HAVING TO COMPETE WITH A WILD ANIMAL FOR WHAT THEY ASSUME SHOULD BE ALL THEIRS FOR THE TAKING.

It happens with bears, elephants, leopards, tigers, sharks, alligators, great apes, mountain lions, etc. as well - basically any animal man has to compete with. It should be all ours!

might need to go on decaf if your bold type is representing your feelings - refer to the above post for the ultimate solution - anyone remember Soylent green?

Well put!! Man needs to live with nature not against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

to bring nature into sustainable equilibrium (until the sun runs out of fuel ) largely unaffected by humans would require an estimated reduction of people to 25 million - thats right, out of every 280 - 279 of us need to go ( a level that probably last occurred over 20,00 years ago), not too likely in the near future, instead population will likely peak out at around 25 billion, so think about 1.5 billion in the US - the nasty things presently done to enhance agricultural production are nothing compared to what is coming
    I agree with your sentiment, but your numbers are crazy. The UN says that world population should top out at around 9 billion mid-century and then stay in that range for a while (barring crazy stuff like climate change messing with food, or whatever).

And the number of people that could be sustainably kept on the planet with a high standard of living is probably more like 1 billion--I've heard that from a few different sources.

So, yes, too many people and not enough coyotes and wolves. But it's not quite as bad as you make it out to be.

No George. Sorry about that - all the bold type. That was overkill. I wasn't trying to do all that bold type. I just couldn't find out how to change it to regular type. I tried too. My upper case was intentional though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Just about nobody hates people who kill predators more than me. Putting out poison is cowardly and pathetic.
    I probably hate them more than you.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

poisoning of predators is commonly associated with limiting agricultural losses - if you have problems with that then you should also object to eliminating rats - then killing insects - and how about bacteria, they may have feelings too - better give up the hand sanitizer
    Hahaha "limiting agricultural losses". What a load of crap. There are people out there that literally hate coyotes/wolves so much that there are fan pages on facebook for it with pictures of coyotes/wolves struggling to get out of traps, pictures of wolves that are decapitated, etc. Everyone knows the numbers of livestock loss from predators is negligible.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

-

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Hahaha "limiting agricultural losses". What a load of crap. There are people out there that literally hate coyotes/wolves so much that there are fan pages on facebook for it with pictures of coyotes/wolves struggling to get out of traps, pictures of wolves that are decapitated, etc. Everyone knows the numbers of livestock loss from predators is negligible.
    what is negligible to you may not be that to the owner of the livestock operating on thin margins - there are counties in this area that have reinstated bounties for coyotes as fur prices are so low that hunting/ trapping decreased and the populations are expanding

That's another fall back response I'm tired of hearing as an excuse for selfish ignorant wanton human destruction and indiscretions against Nature - money(neatly and conveniently repackaged into veiled softer more important sounding language - the economy - and often related to us in terms of jobs).

Paraphrasing Geneticist and Environmentalist David Suzuki, 'many problems stem from the belief that humanity is separated from Nature and the Natural World. This connection with Nature is often replaced by a connection to economy(money).' This belief in this separation makes it easier to justify, rationalize, and excuse man's destruction of Nature.

'We abuse land(and Nature) because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us(humanity). When we see land(and Nature) as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use use it with love and respect.' Aldo Leopold

This is the way many Native American Indian Cultures lived, in harmony in balance with nature with love and respect for the natural world. It is seen elsewhere in indigenous cultures such as Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, South and Central America, etc. White man has largely abandoned or ignored this connection. They march onward to their own destruction being in hostility with the natural world not understanding that it eventually leads to humanities destruction because we are not separate from Nature.

...as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use use it with love and respect.' Aldo Leopold

This is the way many Native American Indian Cultures lived, in harmony in balance with nature with love and respect for the natural world. It is seen elsewhere in indigenous cultures such as Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, South and Central America, etc. White man has largely abandoned or ignored this connection. They march onward to their own destruction being in hostility with the natural world not understanding that it eventually leads to humanities destruction because we are not separate from Nature.

That was the way Indigenous cultures were forced to live after they had driven most mega fauna into extinction. There is a clear pattern of human impact that occurred in all the the places you mentioned (besides Hawaii). When humans showed up, big animals started vanishing. To think that Indigenous cultures adopted some type of harmony or balance with nature, out of love and respect is, disingenuous. They were forced to live differently after they had exhausted the easy resources. So, they advanced their agricultural techniques, while still employing the skills their fore fathers developed to slaughter game. Here in the South, they were known to burn swaths of forest to hunt and organized mass fish kills with poison. If Natives had metal tools and domesticated animals prior to European contact, there is no reason to think that the Americas couldn't have been more "developed" than Eurasia. Remember, as soon as Europeans introduced guns, steel, and horses, they were adopted.

When Cortez stumbled upon Tenochtitlan, that city was thought to be one of the largest cities in the world. You can't sustain a quarter million people within 5 square miles and not lose your connection with nature, let alone start to create adverse environmental impacts. What about the folks living on Easter Island, didn't they completely deforest their spec of sand to raise statues? Does human sacrifice by the Mayans, or cannibalism by the Maori equate to love and respect?

Conservation and preservation may or may not be new ideas, but they aren't ignored or abandoned by your "white man" straw man. Nor, were they universally adopted by Indigenous people. The broad brush you're painting with has 2 sides.

People fail to understand that humans are a part of nature too. The world is a dynamic, changing world, always has been, always will be. Our role should not be to never affect the environment, but to manage it wisely.

6 If you come across a bird’s nest beside the road, either in a tree or on the ground, and the mother is sitting on the young or on the eggs, do not take the mother with the young. 7 You may take the young, but be sure to let the mother go, so that it may go well with you and you may have a long life.

Sorry, but I disagree. When you become an apex predator that can create and manipulate life, you have separated yourself from the natural order.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++