WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

"If you're going ultralight you might save ounces by modifying these factors:

1. Toilet paper on your packing list
    2. Carrying a filter on the AT (not really necessary)
    3. Underwear in your pack list
    4. Deodorant is in your pack list
    5. All your gear is from one manufacturer
    6. You're carrying a canister or white gas stove (though I recognize both of these stove types have their advantages in certain situations, I concede that)
    7. Toothpaste in your pack list (Dr. Bronners works for hand soap, dish soap, and toothpaste)
    8. Carrying a water bladder system (arguably worth their weight when carrying huge quantities of water over long distances I.E. desert southwest, I concede)
    9. Carrying a dedicated pillow
    10. Using a sleeping bag instead of a quilt"

This thread is getting a lot of reactions. I like to keep my packweight light. My 'Light' might be someone else's 'heavy.' Or, it might be someone else's 'Uber-light.' I don't care about labels for the most part.

1. With 20 years of backpacking & thousands of miles hiking (including four other countries outside the US), I prefer to take TP. I'm sure I could do without... but why? I've tried the paper towel route. Didn't care for it. I'll use natural resources if & when I ever run out of TP. Using one's hand to wipe is what many 3rd world countries do. Just never shake their left hand (dung hand). Any surprise at their death rates to disease?

2. I prefer Aquamira on the AT. As long as it doesn't get REALLY COLD. It will freeze. Some filters (Sawyer Squeeze) will freeze as well.

3. I don't use underwear. I use running shorts w/ a liner brief. Been doing that for 20 yrs. Compression shorts look like it would work for a lot of people. It is a minor weight penalty to those who wish to wear/carry underwear.

4. Deodorant isn't on my pack list. I'm sure I've met a few people on the trail that wish it was. A little Dr. Bonners soap & a sponge bath keeps the funk to a (usually) tolerable level.

5. Don't understand this one. If all my equipment is from ZPacks, I'm not a lightweight backpacker?

6. Canisters & white gas stoves = too much weight? As Tipi pointed out, a lot depends on the expected temperature range. At the base level, solid fuel (Espit) stoves would be the lightest (tried it; didn't care for it). Next is alcohol stoves (although some set-ups can be quite heavy). Over the long haul, I've read some studies that indicate that a canister stove setup would weigh only slightly more when factoring the weight of the fuel on long hikes. http://thru-hiker.com/articles/stove...ime_28days.php I used an alcohol stove on my thru-hike. I'd seriously consider a canister stove if I were to do it again (I'm planning to use a canister stove on the Colorado Trl this summer; don't want to burn down the state; in drought situations, alcohol stoves are often banned).

7. I usually use tooth powder to brush my teeth. Lighter (no water weight). Don't care for Dr. Bonner in my mouth. If I'm in a hurry or there is a water shortage, I'll brush my teeth w/o anything other than the toothbrush.

8. When I hear 'Water Bladder,' I think of a Camelbak system. Those can be heavy. The Platypus bladder system is a lot lighter. You can save weight using a water bottle (i.e. a Smart Water bottle or two) & a Platypus 2L water container for extra capacity and/or camp water. This is the system I use.

9. Dedicated pillow? A luxury that I will carry for the 2 oz penalty. That's why I carry an 18 oz tent.

10. Within given temperature parameters & sleeping style, a quilt will undoubtedly save you some weight. I currently own 5 sleeping bags (temp range = 5 to 40 degrees). The Boss has told me no more unless I get rid of one. Oh well....

All that being said, I've seen people with the latest, greatest, & lightest gear who couldn't finish a thru-hike. I've also seen people with heavier, hand-me-down gear that were able to complete a thru-hike. As they say, HYOH.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Tipi is MANY TIME involved with lightweight threads, this being a prime example. I think, JMHO, that he will never be satisfied until the rest of us are as miserable as he is carrying car camping gear on his "hikes" (AKA camping trips).
    Man, you are late to the fray and missed the first part. Originally this Thread was put in the General Forum as I said on my first post---

"Wow, where to start. (And yes, I can reply since this is in the General Forum and not the Ultralighter Forum)."

Please see post #11.

So Colorado rob, getting reactionary won't really work on this one as it DID NOT START in the Ultralight forum. Someone moved it along with all the posts. And I rarely get involved in the UL Forum here on Whiteblaze.

And you didn't make a single dang point on my recommendations for underwear, paper towels instead of TP (or none), using a water filter, and the bag vs quilt debate. Just a knee-jerk response.

henry
    Journal Entries

think about cleanliness,,take paper, tp or towels ,,it's good germ control....wash your hands

. The real mind blower was when I learned that people wipe their ass with their hands. I just had to try it. Do the deed, wipe with a stick, then a little water on the hand, wipe and clean. Wash up with water and Dr. Bronners. It's really quite the experience I must say. I still prefer a good straight stick and maybe a leaf. It's better LNT anyways.

Haaa.. Remind me not to shake your hand!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Tipi doesn't seem miserable to me(at least not because of his kit). He has found what works for him. And, isn't that really what happily hiking HYOH is about? He does carry a load though but who am I to judge what works for him.
    If I was man enough I'd carry that kind of load to...have bacon and eggs every morning and ribeye steaks at night...just dont have enough horsepower to do though.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
    Common Lightweight or "Ultralight" Mistakes" I meet them every year, obsessed about your choices not theirs. Then comes the nagging, hey I got a blister anyone got a pin? I need a band aid anybody got one? I am a little short on food anybody got any extra? I got stung by a bee any one got any Benadryl? Hey I got a hangnail can I use "your" clippers? I got something in my eye, anyone got a mirror. Most folks will bend over backwards to help those in need, but remember after several hundred miles of the constant bragging of how light they are. My answer is yes I have what you need but I brought it for me, I carried it for me and you need to carry your 10 lb pack to the nearest town and buy your own, after all you are "only" 15 miles from the nearest road. I sure hope you never get the runs in the snow! and by the way have you ever done a "long distance" hike, not just out for the week?
    Thank you!! Another great response to this goof. I can't wait to do another thru hike on the AT and actually meet these so called SUL people b/c the UL'ers that I have met on other trails do brag about how little they are carrying. Then they get that look on their face when they inhale the aroma of my freshly baked on a white gas Whisperlite stove brownies that are dripping with warm frosting and I've just finished eating my stove prepared chicken and cheese pizza. At the same time they have just eaten their 5th night of stoveless cold food and are eating 1/2 a pop tart b/c they have to save the other half for tomorrow night's dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Thank you!! Another great response to this goof. I can't wait to do another thru hike on the AT and actually meet these so called SUL people b/c the UL'ers that I have met on other trails do brag about how little they are carrying. Then they get that look on their face when they inhale the aroma of my freshly baked on a white gas Whisperlite stove brownies that are dripping with warm frosting and I've just finished eating my stove prepared chicken and cheese pizza. At the same time they have just eaten their 5th night of stoveless cold food and are eating 1/2 a pop tart b/c they have to save the other half for tomorrow night's dessert.
    Damn DS, your getting my spit glands going.

Images

My total carry weight rarely changes. To me the point of getting lighter gear is to carry more food. If I switch to Zpacks maybe I can add a six pack.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    My total carry weight rarely changes. To me the point of getting lighter gear is to carry more food. If I switch to Zpacks maybe I can add a six pack.
    I predict the Zpack will make the hike more enjoyable....if Zpack=6pack.

Common Lightweight or "Ultralight" Mistakes" I meet them every year, obsessed about your choices not theirs. Then comes the nagging, hey I got a blister anyone got a pin? I need a band aid anybody got one? I am a little short on food anybody got any extra? I got stung by a bee any one got any Benadryl? Hey I got a hangnail can I use "your" clippers? I got something in my eye, anyone got a mirror. Most folks will bend over backwards to help those in need, but remember after several hundred miles of the constant bragging of how light they are. My answer is yes I have what you need but I brought it for me, I carried it for me and you need to carry your 10 lb pack to the nearest town and buy your own, after all you are "only" 15 miles from the nearest road. I sure hope you never get the runs in the snow! and by the way have you ever done a "long distance" hike, not just out for the week?
    LOL. Good post. I've seen it happen again and again and again...... Why are we so obsessed about what others carry as long as they take that crap back home with them and don't leave it on trail?

I can't wait to do another thru hike on the AT and actually meet these so called SUL people b/c the UL'ers that I have met on other trails do brag about how little they are carrying. Then they get that look on their face when they inhale the aroma of my freshly baked on a white gas Whisperlite stove brownies that are dripping with warm frosting and I've just finished eating my stove prepared chicken and cheese pizza. At the same time they have just eaten their 5th night of stoveless cold food and are eating 1/2 a pop tart b/c they have to save the other half for tomorrow night's dessert.
    Not all of them do DS. I know what you mean though. Those damn ULers. Can I be your friend....when those iced brownies and pizza are finished being baked? I'll sit there letting you talk all about those damn ULers if you share some of those foods.

I violated some of your list and still have no problem going under 10lbs. I'll stick with my TP, travel size toothpaste, and water bladder with the few ounce penalty.

When I first saw the thread title I thought we would be talking about some of the common lightweight or UL mistakes which are usually doing ultra-light the wrong way. Such as mailing stuff ahead or just not carrying it. You know, the typical:
    1) Carrying no shelter since I can always squeeze in an AT shelter
    2) Trying to save weight by not carrying enough food for the section since I can beg other hikers for their extras or just binge in town
    3) Swapping out heavier gear too early in a trip and freezing around a fire at night later.
    3) Mailing home the sleeping bag to for a sheet instead of going with a lighter bag. It may work in some areas for some, but I've seen it not work.
    4) Not carrying rain gear

You know, the usual horror stories you hear in threads here when ultralight is brought up even though it has nothing to do with going ultralight and just being stupid light.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    I violated some of your list and still have no problem going under 10lbs. I'll stick with my TP, travel size toothpaste, and water bladder with the few ounce penalty.

When I first saw the thread title I thought we would be talking about some of the common lightweight or UL mistakes which are usually doing ultra-light the wrong way. Such as mailing stuff ahead or just not carrying it. You know, the typical:
    1) Carrying no shelter since I can always squeeze in an AT shelter
    2) Trying to save weight by not carrying enough food for the section since I can beg other hikers for their extras or just binge in town
    3) Swapping out heavier gear too early in a trip and freezing around a fire at night later.
    3) Mailing home the sleeping bag to for a sheet instead of going with a lighter bag. It may work in some areas for some, but I've seen it not work.
    4) Not carrying rain gear

You know, the usual horror stories you hear in threads here when ultralight is brought up even though it has nothing to do with going ultralight and just being stupid light.
    Miner I like these additional "mistakes", stupid light is unfortunately a problem sometimes.

1234, I'm sorry you've had so many negative encounters with unprepared hikers. I have had the runs in the snow, runs = not fun. Wiping with snow = pleasant. Silver lining, I suppose. And to answer your question... I once slept outside for 3 nights. That's longer than the weekend, right?

Images

My baseweight is always under 9 pounds but I'll never use a stick or leaf to wipe my ass unless I run out of TP. People who use their hand should be forced to wear some kind of scarlet letter as a warning to other hikers.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    My baseweight is always under 9 pounds but I'll never use a stick or leaf to wipe my ass unless I run out of TP. People who use their hand should be forced to wear some kind of scarlet letter as a warning to other hikers.
    This is why we shake hands with the right hand. Some cultures use their left hand to wipe their arse.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    This is why we shake hands with the right hand. Some cultures use their left hand to wipe their arse.
    That's actually a really cool insight. I had no idea that this practice was common or that the right hand shake is a by-product of this cultural occurrence.

Images
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

-

I had the opposite experience food-wise when I did a month in new england during the summer, so my gear was light - I would leave town with salad, fresh bread, wine, whole pies - made for some sluggish hiking as I was continuously stuffing myself

I guess I better use more hand sanitizer while around SUL hikers!! Pls keep those ****ty hands away from the water sources! Dumb asses bitching about a dogs drinking out of water sources...haa I'll take a dog any day over a ****ty hand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GA-ME 2011
    Images

For the sake of argument can we define Ultra Light? My dry weight (no fuel, food or water) is about 13 lbs.

Toilet paper on your packing list Yep, how much does a small roll weigh. Staying clean keeps you healthy. I carry a pack of Wet Ones too.
    Carrying a filter on the AT (not really necessary) I always treat water, usually with Aqua Mira.
    Underwear in your pack list Ever had chaffing? I wear one pr. and carry one pr. of compression briefs. My thighs thank me!
    Deodorant is in your pack list When I thued I carried a small deodorant for town, none when I section hike.
    All your gear is from one manufacturer Nope, nobody that I know of makes everything you need.
    You're carrying a canister or white gas stove (though I recognize both of these stove types have their advantages in certain situations, I concede that) When I thrued I used a MSR Pocket Rocket for the convenience. When I section I use an alcohol stove but I'm considering going stove less.
    Toothpaste in your pack list (Dr. Bronners works for hand soap, dish soap, and toothpaste) I carry a small eye drop bottle (1 oz) with tooth gel. I usually don't carry soap, just hand sanitizer.
    Carrying a water bladder system (arguably worth their weight when carrying huge quantities of water over long distances I.E. desert southwest, I concede. I carry 2 Platy 2L bladders, one hooked up to a hose. I like the convenience of it. The second one is for dry sections or camp water.
    Carrying a dedicated pillow Nope, use my clothes bag
    Using a sleeping bag instead of a quilt" Bag for me.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++