WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    For the sake of argument can we define Ultra Light? My dry weight (no fuel, food or water) is about 13 lbs.
    The long time standard for different baseweight classes of backpacking are:
    Lightweight is under 20lbs.
    Ultra-light is under 10lbs.
    Super Ultra-light is under 5lbs.

Going under 20lbs is easy. Going under 10lbs isn't difficult but usually takes $. Going under 5lbs is beyond most peoples ability, especially for a thru-hike. A few have done it, but most people wouldn't want to.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    For the sake of argument can we define Ultra Light? My dry weight (no fuel, food or water) is about 13 lbs.
    Got to get your baseweight to 10 pounds or lighter if you want to join the prestigious ultralight hiker's club, brah.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Don't remember who said it, but one of the wisest comments on this web site was "take what you need and it weighs what it weighs". Didn't think much of it at the time I read it, but that's pretty much what my thinking has become, the more I hike, the less interested I am in what my pack weighs, if it's comfortable, it's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Don't remember who said it, but one of the wisest comments on this web site was "take what you need and it weighs what it weighs". Didn't think much of it at the time I read it, but that's pretty much what my thinking has become, the more I hike, the less interested I am in what my pack weighs, if it's comfortable, it's okay.
    Of course I agree with this. In fact, I can say without reservation that the first step of a long backpacking trip is always the best even though my pack weighs more than 80 lbs. I have a map and a big block of time ahead of me to go pretty much anywhere I want to go and all the stuff I need to take me there so the feeling is one of release, freedom, excitement, effort and joy.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    LOL. Good post. I've seen it happen again and again and again...... Why are we so obsessed about what others carry as long as they take that crap back home with them and don't leave it on trail?

Not all of them do DS. I know what you mean though. Those damn ULers. Can I be your friend....when those iced brownies and pizza are finished being baked? I'll sit there letting you talk all about those damn ULers if you share some of those foods.
    If I've got company in the shelter or neighbors at a campsite, usually I'll share or possibly use my fresh baked goods to barter for something they have.

Images

Pardon me for asking this question, but since one of the big issues is the absence of TP, I was wondering: If there is no snow on the ground, no fallen leaves that wouldn't disintegrate in your hand after you've picked them up to wipe your arse, and no new leaves on branches within reach, what do you use to wipe your arse? You don't actually just use your hand,......do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc Fiedler View Post
    And to answer your question... I once slept outside for 3 nights. That's longer than the weekend, right?
    He asked if you've ever been out longer than a week, not a weekend. Are you telling me you posted this diatribe and the most you've ever been out is three nights? That takes some balls, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    He asked if you've ever been out longer than a week, not a weekend. Are you telling me you posted this diatribe and the most you've ever been out is three nights? That takes some balls, dude.
    1 Corinthians...when I was a child I spoke like a child. thought like a child. reasoned like a child. When I grew up, I became a man and put childish ways behind me.

I think of this verse oftentimes while reading this site.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    You don't actually just use your hand,......do you?
    This gentleman does:
    http://14ersthruhike.com/

As he pointed out, most of the world uses this method (use the left hand...eat with the right )
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

All this for an ounce of TP, don't eat that next donut and move on.........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    All this for an ounce of TP, don't eat that next donut and move on.........
    his base weight is 14.1 lbs. you expect him to carry 14.2 ???
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Talking about bringing and cooking tasty food on the trail, this from yesterday:
    "At the same time they have just eaten their 5th night of stoveless cold food and are eating 1/2 a pop tart b/c they have to save the other half for tomorrow night's dessert. "
    On so many of these things, intelligent and experienced people have different tastes, values, and experiences, and so come to different conclusions. While I love food more than ever when doing a long distance hike, my more experienced hiking partners went stoveless accompanying me when I started my A.T. thru. Now I'm accompanying a friend who will start his A.T. thru next month and I'll go stoveless. They just seemed to be having more fun than I was at mealtime; they were quite happy with their food and were done eating and just relaxing while I was still heating heating water. The A.T. has so very many places where you can stop for a restaurant or at least a "gas station mini-mart" meal along the way that on the A.T. in particular I don't feel deprived if I don't have maximally tasty meals every day.

As to T.P., I think that too is a HYOH thing, so long as your toilet paper isn't later littering campsites and you're not a disease vector as a result.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Pardon me for asking this question, but since one of the big issues is the absence of TP, I was wondering: If there is no snow on the ground, no fallen leaves that wouldn't disintegrate in your hand after you've picked them up to wipe your arse, and no new leaves on branches within reach, what do you use to wipe your arse? You don't actually just use your hand,......do you?
    Let me just copy and paste from the LNT.org website so that all of you who are mind boggled by leaving behind TP can hear this from a more reputable source then myself. I am a LNT Trainer and learned to be comfortable and sanitary without TP about two years ago, it took me a while to make the switch. I understand your revulsion to the idea, I had all the same misgivings originally as well.

LNT originated as the brainchild of NOLS to help minimize wilderness impacts by backcountry travelers. Now, LNT has branched off and is an independent non-profit properly called LNTCOE. LNT evolved based upon years of research and empirical evidence gleaned through leading thousands of people on thousands of miles worth of backcountry travel in various climates and geographies. NOLS keeps detailed statistics on every illness and injury that occurs in the field during their trips, you can even go to their site and find a lot of this data. That being said, a professional organization like NOLS would never develop a system (LNT) that condones the use of sub-hygienic practices. Here, below, you'll find the LNTCOE Principle #3 Dispose of Waste Properly as quoted on the use of toilet paper:

TOILET PAPER
    Use toilet paper sparingly and use only plain, white, non-perfumed brands. Toilet paper must be disposed of properly! It should either be thoroughly buried in a cathole or placed in plastic bags and packed out. Natural toilet paper has been used by many campers for years. When done correctly, this method is as sanitary as regular toilet paper, but without the impact problems. Popular types of natural toilet paper include stones, vegetation and snow. Obviously, some experimentation is necessary to make this practice work for you, but it is worth a try! Burning toilet paper in a cathole is not generally recommended.
    Toilet Paper in Arid Lands: Placing toilet paper in plastic bags and packing it out as trash is the best way to Leave No Trace in a desert environment. Toilet paper should not be burned. This practice can result in wild fires.
    - See more at: http://lnt.org/learn/principle-3#sthash.EqzLNVUo.dpuf

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    I must have misread the question. The answer is yes. I was hoping that my response to his question would be so obviously facetious that people would be able to discern the joke.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    Talking about bringing and cooking tasty food on the trail, this from yesterday:

On so many of these things, intelligent and experienced people have different tastes, values, and experiences, and so come to different conclusions. While I love food more than ever when doing a long distance hike, my more experienced hiking partners went stoveless accompanying me when I started my A.T. thru. Now I'm accompanying a friend who will start his A.T. thru next month and I'll go stoveless. They just seemed to be having more fun than I was at mealtime; they were quite happy with their food and were done eating and just relaxing while I was still heating heating water. The A.T. has so very many places where you can stop for a restaurant or at least a "gas station mini-mart" meal along the way that on the A.T. in particular I don't feel deprived if I don't have maximally tasty meals every day.

As to T.P., I think that too is a HYOH thing, so long as your toilet paper isn't later littering campsites and you're not a disease vector as a result.
    The idea of going stoveless really appeals to me. I think I might try it on an extended hike some time. I've done it on weekenders but figuring out how to hit a high caloric density without having to rehydrate things would be a challenge. I'll have to continue to look into it more.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

On the AT, with its abundant outhouses and biologically rich soil, TP is not as much an issue as on the Western trails.

TP and the improper disposal of it has become such an issue on the PCT, that the PCTA issued an article about it:
    http://www.pcta.org/2014/time-action...re-poop-16564/

I think Jerry Brown (Bear Creek) has noticed something similar on his many travels on the Colorado Trail.

The "backcountry bidet" could be a good alternative. If you do go with TP, dispose of properly. Sounds obvious, but apparently not.

re: No stove

Again, may be a good option west of the Mississippi this year depending upon wildfire danger. Early yet...but good to be wary.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-03-2014 at 13:11.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

BrianLe,

Okay, so let's say you go stoveless on a trail that you cannot resupply for days or doesn't have the convienence of a road crossing with a gas station mini mart every 3--4 days, what do you do then? Trails I am talking about? PCT, CDT, PNWT and others. You often go days with out crossing a road on those trails.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kc Fiedler View Post
    The idea of going stoveless really appeals to me. I think I might try it on an extended hike some time. I've done it on weekenders but figuring out how to hit a high caloric density without having to rehydrate things would be a challenge. I'll have to continue to look into it more.
    As much as I enjoy a hot "meal" in the evenings, I would go stoveless, especially in the summer, if it wasn't for my absolute addiction to hot coffee in the morning. You can get just as high, maybe higher on average, caloric density with non-cook foods. Dehydrated meals average maybe 120-130 calories per ounce. Fatty "snack" foods can do better than that, for example peanut butter, dried meats and such.

It's only the coffee that makes me bring a stove. I just enjoy it too much, my little comfort extravagance.

Images

Nobody yet has given an answer as to using your hand to wipe your arse when there is nothing else.

So I have another question: If you do use your hand, how the hell do you get it cleaned off well enough to use your hand again, especially during messy or soft dumps? And another thing, how the hell do you know you have wiped everything away when using your hand? Seems that the little stuff would blend in your your hand too well sometimes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    On the AT, with its abundant outhouses and biologically rich soil, TP is not as much an issue as on the Western trails.

TP and the improper disposal of it has become such an issue on the PCT, that the PCTA issued an article about it:
    http://www.pcta.org/2014/time-action...re-poop-16564/

I think Jerry Brown (Bear Creek) has noticed something similar on his many travels on the Colorado Trail.

The "backcountry bidet" could be a good alternative. If you do go with TP, dispose of properly. Sounds obvious, but apparently not.
    residing in the dry west, I always pack out my TP, and I've carried that over to the AT, but I'm thinking I'm going overboard and could responsibly bury it, but it really is so easy to just drop off in the next privy (sans baggie, of course) on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    As much as I enjoy a hot "meal" in the evenings, I would go stoveless, especially in the summer, if it wasn't for my absolute addiction to hot coffee in the morning. You can get just as high, maybe higher on average, caloric density with non-cook foods. Dehydrated meals average maybe 120-130 calories per ounce. Fatty "snack" foods can do better than that, for example peanut butter, dried meats and such.

It's only the coffee that makes me bring a stove. I just enjoy it too much, my little comfort extravagance.
    Sorry I should have quantified. I pack all my own meals, FBC style and every one of them is 150+ Cal/oz. I only hydrate one meal a day (dinner) the rest of the meals remain in the 150+ range but require no rehydrating so I suppose it wouldn't be a huge leap for me to go stoveless. I haven't picked up a store bought dehydrated meal in years.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++