Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
You got that right. I actually met a young man in the 100 mile wilderness who was carrying no food so he could finish faster. He would stop at camps and shelters and beg for food. Does that count as HYOH?
Certainly seems like the was hiking his own hike to me. Also seems like a really bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
Why is it that "hike your own hike" usually either precedes or follows a judgmental statement? It's kind of like knowing what follows when someone says "with all due respect".
I have been noticing the same thing, not just on this thread. HYOH seems to be used with benevolent intentions often, but it also gets put up like a shield (or sword) sometimes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
Thank you for pointing out my "mistakes", I carry everything but 2, 5 and 9 on your list.
You're welcome. If you haven't tried some of the alternatives you should give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
Kc,

You're most likely one of those ultra-lighters that insists on taking a crap before they start each day of hiking for fear of having to carry the **** in your ass for all those miles and you tank up before you start hiking b/c you won't carry anything since there is so many water sources along the way. You probably don't carry a towel either to clean your self every day, so remind me to sleep on the other side of the shelter if I know you'll be there.
I carry water between sources, tho I often check the distances to see if I will need 1 or 2 L. I take a dump whenever my bowel movement is necessary, holding feces in can lead to fecal impactions I wouldn't suggest anyone hold it in. I carry half a micro towel for various uses including washing up but I don't do that every day, it's unnecessary for me. A little Dr. B's under the arms and over the face is refreshing!

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
AMEN!!! Happened to me too many times that the so called gram weenies are happy to be carrying so little weight, but are the biggest whiners when it comes to needing something they decided wasn't important enough to carry, so they have to ask others to provide.
If people are cutting their weight so much that they're leaving behind necessary items that falls into irresponsible and dangerous hiking. Be it ultralight, weekender, or any other kind of backpacker. Leaving behind critical gear is just bad form, I'd be upset with them too.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
What can one say? I talked like that when I was 23, and both my kids did, I think it goes with the age.

Anyway, "mistakes" or carefully considered, weighed decisions? I think you (op) need to get a tad more experience before you call others' techniques "mistakes". For each of you list of 10 "mistakes", I could respond, but there would be no point in that, but I will mention a few.

TP: are you kidding? 1 tiny little ounce is a lot of TP and it lasts me a week. It doesn't take a whole lot of careful consideration to spend an ounce of weight to keep my fingers out of my bum.

Quilt: tried it, I really did try it, but it just doesn't work for my as I'm a side sleeper and flip-flopper. I borrowed my pal's 16 ounce quilt, didn't work, so I use my much warmer 22 ounce 30 degree sleeping bag. Yes, 6 extra ounce is very significant, but sleep is too important to cut that 6 ounces.

Canister stoves: At least you consider this, but I have to say one more time that if you are a big hot water user like myself (6-7 cups of hot water a day), the Jetboil Ti stove is far, far more efficient for 4+ days of un-resupplied hiking than alcohol. I've thoroughly experimented and run the numbers many times, I keep hoping I can save some weight, but it just doesn't work with alcohol.

Toothpaste: I carry about 1/3rd of an ounce of toothpaste that lasts a month. Again, I'll suck up 1/3rd of an ounce for this "luxury". Soap? I carry another 1/3rd of an ounce of a partial mini-bar. WHY do you do dishes???????????? Big "mistake". I have no dishes to do, just one UL coffee cup that I rinse after morning coffee and evening tea.

Underwear: Wow, given your take on TP I sure wouldn't want to see the inside of your shorts, buddy. Yikes!!!!!!!! I do choose to not wear underwear most of the time, but sure do like it at other times, 3 ounces of bliss when I want it.

Bottom line: grow up, get some real experience before you bash others.
You have some good material in this post in between your attacks on me.

Let's start with TP. I get my butt cleaned just as well without TP as I do with it. I have a lot of experience with this method and have had the pleasure of learning from other backpackers (many of whom carry a 40-50lb pack and still use this method). It's more LNT friendly which is important to some people. I have never once accidentally gotten a finger in my bum, but I guess that might be a problem for some people.

I too am a side sleeper when on the ground, I feel your pain there. I haven't had a problem yet with quits not working even when on my side but I can understand why you made the switch back to a bag.

I completely agree that a canister stove will be more efficient at 6-7 cups a day over 4+ days. You seem to be on the right track.

I don't do dishes because I freezer bag cook. However I spend most summers guiding backpacking trips professionally (yes, I'm implying it is my career) and dishes are a part of group backpacking trips. I also don't carry ultralight gear on guided trips, I carry my old Osprey Aether 60 and contribute to helping the group carry all of the gear. Which, by the way, often involves me stuffing a fry-bake into my bag or being responsible for the group med kit which often exceeds 4-5lbs of gear. I know how to pull my weight.

Also congratulations on not having to do dishes yourself, I hate doing dishes as I'm sure you do if you've tried it. It's annoying.

I won't ever show you the inside of my shorts, no worries.

I'm working on growing up, but you can't rush these things they say.