WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17

The people described here, however do not sound like ultralighter's (actually SUL).

I think they are "yogi-ing" the trail. That was a terminology for begging on the AT.

In my experience, SUL advocates can get in trouble: few can bring off a successful SUL hike.

Because there is so much lightweight gear available now, UL is available to everyone with reasonable care.

<double post>

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    The people described here, however do not sound like ultralighter's (actually SUL).

I think they are "yogi-ing" the trail. That was a terminology for begging on the AT.

In my experience, SUL advocates can get in trouble: few can bring off a successful SUL hike.

Because there is so much lightweight gear available now, UL is available to everyone with reasonable care.
    I can see going less than 5lbs for a weekend. Cause you don't need to carry things you would need if you were "living" out of backpack. On the long haul though, i'm taking more stuff to be comfortable. Sleeping on a 1/8" thick torso length ccf pad with no pillow and a backpack under your legs to save a few ounces sounds great on paper but in practice even people who do it know it's not comfortable. What good does that do for you?

Pack weight is subjective and a hot topic you should typically avoid talking about while hiking. I think it is however an important step to weigh ALL your equipment and compulsively nit-pick every item you bring, all the way down to the weight of the pencil your bringing. Trust me, there's a lighter alternative. It is how one develops a unique yet refined kit for themselves and evolves into a better, more efficient hiker. What works for one individual, may not work for another. People like tenting or hammocking, going no cook or cooking gourmet, some sleep hot while others sleep cold. You must find what works for you through experience.

So back to my post about 4 pages back. The #1 ultralight mistake is trying to go ultralight on paper without experience.

Pushing the limits is great, it's what drives the innovation of cottage industry and develops fantastic ultralight equipment. However, I think people forget that backpacking is suppose to be fun. The difference between 5 and 8lbs on my back does not ruin my hiking experience, however, it will have a negative impact on the other aspects of a my thru-hike. Like camping and well..relaxing.

If you can sleep under a tarp on a piece of plastic in a top quilt in your wet hiking clothes and have cold instant mashed potatoes for dinner with a smile on your face. You got me beat. If you try that all you do is complain about the skeeters all night and how you aren't sleeping cause your cold and hungry, I'm gonna go to bed with a grin on MY face.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Sleeping on a 1/8" thick torso length ccf pad with no pillow and a backpack under your legs to save a few ounces sounds great on paper but in practice even people who do it know it's not comfortable. What good does that do for you?
    i think a lot of it is what you're used to. i have a hard time sleeping on a bed after being out with my 1/8" CCF for a while.

and i think it does me a lot of good to do things that aren't comfortable all the time.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Gotta love all these comments about what I should and should not carry. After reading posts here for many years, I've simply decided to HMOH!! I truly believe that of all the 1000's of hikers/backpackers/Ul'ers out there on the trails, it is only a select group that comes to this site and posts. In a few years I will be back on the trails doing some long distance walking and I can't wait to meet the heavy pack hikers and the SUL hikers, both types may end up being a great source of humor.
    In the meantime, I will be the guy with the weight right in the middle. Why?! B/c I carry what I want to carry to be comfy, eat well and safe on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I can see going less than 5lbs for a weekend. Cause you don't need to carry things you would need if you were "living" out of backpack. On the long haul though, i'm taking more stuff to be comfortable. Sleeping on a 1/8" thick torso length ccf pad with no pillow and a backpack under your legs to save a few ounces sounds great on paper but in practice even people who do it know it's not comfortable. What good does that do for you?

Pack weight is subjective and a hot topic you should typically avoid talking about while hiking. I think it is however an important step to weigh ALL your equipment and compulsively nit-pick every item you bring, all the way down to the weight of the pencil your bringing. Trust me, there's a lighter alternative. It is how one develops a unique yet refined kit for themselves and evolves into a better, more efficient hiker. What works for one individual, may not work for another. People like tenting or hammocking, going no cook or cooking gourmet, some sleep hot while others sleep cold. You must find what works for you through experience.

So back to my post about 4 pages back. The #1 ultralight mistake is trying to go ultralight on paper without experience.

Pushing the limits is great, it's what drives the innovation of cottage industry and develops fantastic ultralight equipment. However, I think people forget that backpacking is suppose to be fun. The difference between 5 and 8lbs on my back does not ruin my hiking experience, however, it will have a negative impact on the other aspects of a my thru-hike. Like camping and well..relaxing.

If you can sleep under a tarp on a piece of plastic in a top quilt in your wet hiking clothes and have cold instant mashed potatoes for dinner with a smile on your face. You got me beat. If you try that all you do is complain about the skeeters all night and how you aren't sleeping cause your cold and hungry, I'm gonna go to bed with a grin on MY face.
    fastfoxengineering,

I for one have done thru-hiked the AT, PCT, LT and several other trails with less than a base-weight under 5 pounds. It just takes experience and looking at what you are throwing in your backpack. Sense this is a thread about common LW and UL mistakes, I think it is worth pointing out that UL backpacking under 5 pounds was done for over 20 years ago. Equipment has gotten a lot lighter, sense then. And yes, you can do it safely. I've been through a lot of storms. You just need to know how to use your doing.

Wolf

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17
++ New Posts ++