WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Animal’s Unorthodox Journal

For my 2014 Trail Journal I decided to post the things I learned on my 2012 thru-hike. It’s kind of my version of a free book on preparing to hike the trail. I welcome comments, criticisms, and suggested subjects posted here on whiteblaze. Enjoy-
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=439808

Images

You should start a mental wager on how often the bucket will come up here in this thread.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

I just read the first few pages about food. Man, you make the AT seem way more complicated than it needs to be. Good luck to you.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

I think someone who hikes while carrying a bucket full of food in one hand is someone I wouldn't want to get advice from. Good luck but I've stopped reading.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I think someone who hikes while carrying a bucket full of food in one hand is someone I wouldn't want to get advice from. Good luck but I've stopped reading.
    Maybe you should read the advice and make criticisms about that, it’s more helpful to readers and me then being so judgmental about my hiking style. –or attacking my character. I’m not telling anyone to hike like me, just giving good ideas on preparations and the trail. You are not helping others.

I never attacked your character. I said I would never take hiking advice from someone who hikes carrying a bucket. And my opinion on that isn't gonna change.

The way people hike today you'd be better off with Nan's bucket.

-

new name ( and answer to the question): "bear hearts"

-

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I just read the first few pages about food. Man, you make the AT seem way more complicated than it needs to be. Good luck to you.
    next big thing is someone hiking with a tuba and a bucket

Images

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I guess you never met Tubaman.

I haven't read any of it yet but thanks for the link as I hope to copy it for my next backpacking trip. I'm always looking for trail journals which are a step beyond the usual and unique and different than the usual "crap" (sorry 'bout that) out there.

Images

Animal - I have not finished reading all your journal postings yet, but I appreciate your effort. While I will stick with my conventional equipment choices for myself, I admire the way you made your low low budget choices work for you. You certainly do think outside the pack, errr the box, whatever.

Your food rating system does seem to be more work than necessary, but hey, it works for you and that's great. Me, my stomach lets me know what I should carry, and my legs and back have been willing so far to accommodate my stomach. Luckily my brain and my wallet figured out how to put together a low weight base, so I can afford the extra weight of luxury items like fresh fruit or an adult beverage that my stomach demands. And I agree, having the ability to share is nice and has its own rewards.

Your extremely low budget, the extra weight you carry, and yes, your bucket would seem to give you extra obstacles to overcome on the trail. And yet you persevered and completed your hike! I think your journal should contain more information on the mental aspect of your hike and what it was that allowed you to succeed where many others do not.

Wish you the best in 2014.

Images

Hmm… a tuba and a bucket.
    TipiWalter, Much admiration and respect to you.
    Imscotty, Thank you, and good luck to you.

I've doing it with a Gun Safe . . . . Oh wait, it's a refrigerator balanced on a stick . . . .No! It's a pentagon filing cabinet . . . .

-

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I've doing it with a Gun Safe . . . . Oh wait, it's a refrigerator balanced on a stick . . . .No! It's a pentagon filing cabinet . . . .
    so many choices, so little time

-

I guess you never met Tubaman.
    he did not have a bucket, his stunt is soon to be outdone

-

after that it will be the bucket, tuba, and boat paddle ("Montana skateboarder style" for those who have not been around the boards for a while)

Images

PCT 2009 there was a girl with a hockey stick and CDT last year in NM a dude with a paddle. Is a paddle a thing us old guys don't "get"?

PCT 2009 there was a girl with a hockey stick and CDT last year in NM a dude with a paddle. Is a paddle a thing us old guys don't "get"?
    I hear there are even people with just butt packs running along the trail with a support vehicle close by and trying to set some sort of speed record. Talk about weird.

I hiked with a B-flat clarinet once. And a full watermelon. Here's a neat idea---roll an upright piano along the trail for 2,000 miles.

According to your Journal, you carried anywhere between 8-30#'s in a bucket the entire way. That's pretty good; I can really appreciate that because I do a lot of Farmer John workouts and it can really wear you out gripping something at the same time walking and this is just a little bit on flat ground).

Did you have a method to ensure each hand got "equal time" and did you use anything to wrap around the handle? Do you have a naturally strong grip or did you some how prepare for this?

I remember my feet hurting the worse from my hike, but I imagine if I carried a bucket that I would had also have to deal with some serious hand pains for quite some time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++