WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking with muscle disease. ( Inclusion Body Myositis )

Hi, basically I've been more of a day hiker over the years. I haven't been out last couple years. Slowly but surely my legs been developing weakness. Well I started seeing a neurologist & I've been diagnosed with IBM.( Inclusion Body Myositis). It's an inflammatory muscle disease. Mostly strikes males over 50 & has no cure! Walking never mind hiking has become a struggle. Does anyone know of someone in similar circumstances & have they been able to do any kind of hiking with this or a similar condition? Thanks!

Sounds kinda like MS , find the right Dr./ hike with a friend,/ a GPS,/ in case you have to be carried out. / Fight Score Win. live life well.

Images

There is some guy I read about in Backpacker Magazine that is bagging peaks in a wheel chair. When there is a will, there is a way.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

I was just diagnosed with Charcot-Marie-Tooth, which according to my doctor, means I will slowly loose function of my feet. I was advised against hiking because I will loose balance and will likely start falling. I'm not going to let it stop me. In fact, I'm planning on doing as much as I can as long as I can! But safely. More hikes with a partner and will start carrying a Spot. Otherwise, physical therapy, weight lifting to keep my legs strong, lots of calf raises, and keeping a close eye on my feet for signs of blisters or infections. Don't give up. Keep fighting. Don't let the doctors tell you otherwise. Oh, I was warned about over-exercising to the point of exhaustion and causing an inflammatory response, so maybe limit your days. Try to stay under thirty miles

Images

http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/artic...ra-5097220.php

I'm sorry to hear about your illness.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

++ New Posts ++