WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Irreverent Observation

I chuckle to myself every time I see a post about infirmity and injury. It's no big revelation that a very large part, if not an actual majority, of AT hikers are of an age that aches and pains and the trials of aging are a very real factor in our lives. Some of us have had the wonderful opportunity of dealing with difficult, often quite debilitating diseases. Yet we hike on, or try to, each of us employing whatever means necessary to keep ourselves upright and on the trail. The wonders of modern medicine and hiker ingenuity.

Why is this in the humor section? Because I thought it would be funny to poke fun at the obstacles and pretend we're all budding mental cartoonists and visualize ways to deal with limitations.

Like this:

You know those mileage measuring wheels used to measure mileage (duh) on the AT? What if I had one of those I could prop up under my pack? It would alleviate the weight and trail nicely behind me. Carry 80lbs? No prob! I'll even survey the distance for you!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Wait, I had one, but now I can't remember it...

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Like this:

You know those mileage measuring wheels used to measure mileage (duh) on the AT? What if I had one of those I could prop up under my pack? It would alleviate the weight and trail nicely behind me. Carry 80lbs? No prob! I'll even survey the distance for you!
    As we get older, we forget that somebody already invented the wheel...
    http://dixonrollerpack.com/

Journal Entries
    Images

Not quite what I had in mind, too much bouncing behind me! I was thinking more of a shock-absorbing prop with the pack on my back...much more ridiculous.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    As we get older, we forget that somebody already invented the wheel...
    http://dixonrollerpack.com/
    Hey, if you could get her to hike with you, maybe she could drag yours and her packs.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Hey, if you could get her to hike with you, maybe she could drag yours and her packs.
    Ha Ha!! Funny Astro!

When my daughter and I were hiking together in the Smokies we can across a family that was headed for LeConte Lodge. (11 miles) We first came upon a slightly frail looking older woman resting on the rocks. She told us that her sons made a homemade chariot looking thing, for her, so they could carry her up the hills. They were ahead of her & she told us to check it out. She was a really sweet woman, just getting up there in age.

We didn't get to see her riding the homemade cart but we complimented her sons for thinking of their mom, like that, and the idea of building the cart just for her.

If two friends hiked side by side, each with a measuring stick would that be considered a cart? Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

-

there are a couple of real wheeled trail devices that I am aware of:

one is used by hunters for hauling deer out of the back country and resembles the folding metal 2 wheel carts that people commonly used in the 60's/ 70's to haul groceries home from the market - I followed a set of tracks from one of these on a steep partially snow covered trail for over a mile, was glad I was not pulling it

the other is a one wheel, wheelbarrow type stretcher, used to run altitude sick tourists back down the mountain on Kilimanjaro - reputed to be an effective system, getting you down quickly allows recovery and often another chance to summit

Journal Entries
    Images

Well this was just one scenario....any other infirmities that might be accommodated with ingenuity...and humor?

-

I occasionally suffer from low blood/ alcohol levels - does not take too much ingenuity to cure that

Journal Entries
    Images

May you never find a cure when I'm on the trail in your area....

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I occasionally suffer from low blood/ alcohol levels - does not take too much ingenuity to cure that
    http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscart...y-jwhn368l.jpg

Journal Entries
    Images

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about RS!!!

ah...great minds.

I like this thread, but as was already pointed out..."I'm drawing a blank" will return when the fog clears.

I got nothing and I'm confused... I don't think I have a great mind!

Images

or just to hike with the grand kids
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries
    Images

Might be a little bumpy on the trail for them!

Images

First thing I look forward to when waking up on the trail are the aches and pains... tells me I'm still alive!
    Simple is good.

++ New Posts ++