Default advice please re: sleeping bags for women....

the zipper on my wife's bag broke. I want to get her a new one for a Valentine's day present. needs to be warm (maybe 10-20* true rating, she is a cold sleeper and we do hike in those temps. any colder than that and she's not going) and compressible to a small size to fit in her pack. of course I am thinking down but would consider synthetic if it meets the criteria. I like the Marmot bags a lot.

my question is - do you find the women's bags to fit better/be more comfortable? or do you just go with a men's bag in regular size. Does that make a difference? she is maybe 5'6" and 115?120? lbs. do you have any recommendations. I appreciate any responses or feedback. thanks.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have used a unisex bag for many years now. No issue. A better quality bag will be better on the temp rating. I loved my Montbell but just recently dug deep in the pockets for a Western mountaineering. Superb bag.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have a women's Kelty Cosmic Down 20* which I'm quite happy with. I was told the difference between the men's and women's bags was a greater girth measurement, shorter height and increased warmth. Who knows. But I'm a cold sleeper (apparently true to form) and have no complaints. I use a very thin fleece liner as an outer blanket in 2 times I've been in really cold temps.....like below 30*, and I can't complain.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

i'm hoping to sell this one... here's a link to my post.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...a-sleeping-bag

I'm your wife's height and also sleep cold (though I have more body fat than your wife). I currently have a Montbell UL Super Spiral rated to 15, but if I were really camping in ten degree weather, I'd probably pair it with a fleece or down jacket, wool long johns, and a hat or hood to stay comfortably warm. It's perfect for me at 20-25 degrees, though, as long as I keep the hood on.

I tried both unisex and women's bags when I bought this one. I found some of the narrow men's/unisex bags uncomfortable in the hip area (western mountaineering was like this for me), but at her weight, I'm guessing that your wife doesn't have large hips/butt that would make those bags uncomfortable. The other difference was in the shoulders. I have narrow shoulders and felt like some men's bags were way too wide in that area for me. Women's bags sometimes have more insulation around the feet, but it's not worth buying a different bag just because of that if you are comfortable sleeping in a pair of warm socks.

Ultimately, I bought a unisex/men's bag that was 6' or so long. I bunch up the extra length around my feet for extra insulation there, and when it's cold, I tuck the extra width at the shoulder area tightly around/under my shoulders.

I hope that information helps you make your decision!

Quote Originally Posted by atbackpacker View Post
    i'm hoping to sell this one... here's a link to my post.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...a-sleeping-bag
    thanks.sent you a pm.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

my wife is 5'2". yours is only a few inches taller, so this would probably work for her too: we have found that a good quality youth or childrens bag works just as well or better since when she is inside there is less dead air space at the foot compared to mens bags. they are usually cheaper and lighter as well.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBager View Post

I tried both unisex and women's bags when I bought this one. I found some of the narrow men's/unisex bags uncomfortable in the hip area (western mountaineering was like this for me), but at her weight, I'm guessing that your wife doesn't have large hips/butt that would make those bags uncomfortable. The other difference was in the shoulders. I have narrow shoulders and felt like some men's bags were way too wide in that area for me. Women's bags sometimes have more insulation around the feet, but it's not worth buying a different bag just because of that if you are comfortable sleeping in a pair of warm socks.

Ultimately, I bought a unisex/men's bag that was 6' or so long. I bunch up the extra length around my feet for extra insulation there, and when it's cold, I tuck the extra width at the shoulder area tightly around/under my shoulders.

I hope that information helps you make your decision!
    Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends offer at least 3 different girth measurements in their bag lineups. It isn't fair to blame them if you bought the wrong size. Western Mountaineering is also one of the few companies left that will sell either left or right zipper placement on all of their bags. That matters to me as I have a decidedly right handed tent.
    The hood, neck collar and foot of a Western Mountaineering bag (all of their 20°F and below bags are so equipped) is worth the price of admission.
    Good luck!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Montbell super spiral down hugger zero!

I combine a go lite quilt with a women's pro lite thermarests, add in a silk liner or fleece one if very cold, a hot water platypus, and a fleece hoody - perfect, never slept cold any where...

++ New Posts ++