WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Blood Mountain Bears

Thoughts on bears stirring around on Blood Mountain in mid-March? I want to take a virgin hiker up for their birthday but I'm hesitant to scar them on their first hike with the presence of a bear like I ran into 3 years ago.

If Blood Mountain concerns you just do another hike. Do the approach trail for instance. So many other choices for you. As far as thoughts on bears on Blood Mountain, just hang on to your food!
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Are you talking about a day hike? I wouldn't spend one second worrying about it.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Are you planning a sacrifice?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    If Blood Mountain concerns you just do another hike. Do the approach trail for instance.
    I would be more leery of the Approach Trail critics than the Blood Mountain bears.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kmartin25 View Post
    Thoughts on bears stirring around on Blood Mountain in mid-March? I want to take a virgin hiker up for their birthday but I'm hesitant to scar them on their first hike with the presence of a bear like I ran into 3 years ago.
    never seen one on blood mtn but at hawk mt shelter and springer shelter!

Quote Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
    I would be more leery of the Approach Trail critics than the Blood Mountain bears.
    The Approach Trail and The Blood Mountain Bears are overrated. I would take a virgin hiker to the Smokies.

Journal Entries

One of the reasons some hike is to have a chance to observe wildlife.

Default Blood Mountain Bears

I love to observe wildlife as well. However, my wife's pack (being her pillow) getting mauled to shreds because she had a multivitamin in it is not something I want to introduce to a newbie. Like I said, it's been 3 years. Just wasn't sure if there's been anymore activity since then.

Yes --we have bears on Blood every year . If in fact you are talking a day hike ,no problem. If on the other hand the USFS has instituted a requirement of a bear can from Jarrard Gap to Neel Gap for a reason . To protect the bears -there were several incidents of bears walking into Blood and Woods Hole shelters with humans there and at some point a person would be hurt and that would necessitate eliminating a bear . Use judgement as to wither you have the skills to protect the bear population and remember it is a large fine to be caught camping on Blood w/o a can during march ,April ,and may.

i DONT THINK YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT GETTING MAULED BY A BLACK BEAR. sorry for caps no purpose for them. I have talked to many nobos and hate to say but myself as well that never hang food bags, and have never had an issue with it. I have a dog which I think helps, and as well if i have to go pee in the night I do it in my second vestibule so I know the urine smell detours them as well.

From when I have learned, in order to completely protect yourself you have to put everything up in the darn trees from your tooth paste to chapstick, to obviously candy bars. What if you leave a candy bar in your pack? Is the smell of the candy bar not going to permiate thru the wrapper and soak into the pack? I just never have had an issue with bears, knock on wood..
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Is the canister rule in effect for this year as well.
    I haven't been WB on much lately and may get a chance to get up that way for a few days soon.

Thanks

++ New Posts ++