WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Great deal on a down jacket

Just got back from Walmart, bought a down jacket on sale for $21.00, looks about the same as the Marmot Zeus I was wearing at the time but lighter weight, Marmot weighs 16 oz, the Walmart jacket weighs 12 oz. The Marmot cost $200, the Walmart $21....not a bad deal.

This made me think of the youtube vid I watched recently about the guy that bought $600 of Patagonia clothing....
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I'm pretty sure this jacket has been talked about in a recent thread. Great find. My local Walmart had these jackets a few weeks ago, but not my size . Guess they are going on sale now that spring stuff is about to be stocked up.

I wont feel nearly nas bad the next time I'm sitting around the campfire and an ember burns a hole in my jacket. I started to buy two but decided otherwise.

Images

Details! Was this on the rack or in a bargin bin? Any way of identifying it (brand/model)?

Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    Details! Was this on the rack or in a bargin bin? Any way of identifying it (brand/model)?
    Just hanging on a rack. Original price was $42, which I would have gladly paid.

Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    2014_02070001.jpg
    2014_02070002.jpg

Just snagged one, thanks. Want to explain to my wife why I couldn't resist?

Images

Thanks DryBones.

I have to have more details than that to make a fair comparison. I'm not naive to think Wally World's down jacket listed here(Royal Falcon brand) is the same as the Marmot Zeus nor fairly compares. The decreased price difference between the two comes at costs were not aware of, NOT that a $21 down jacket shouldn't be defined as a great deal for ya DryBones. I can go look at Marmot Zeus Jacket reviews quite readily. What I can't do is easily get ANY comprehensive reviews for this Royal Falcon jacket. Personally, I would like to see some in depth professional outdoor reviews of this Wally World jacket. Until that time I'm approaching very skeptically.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I have to have more details than that to make a fair comparison. I'm not naive to think Wally World's down jacket listed here(Royal Falcon brand) is the same as the Marmot Zeus nor fairly compares. The decreased price difference between the two comes at costs were not aware of, NOT that a $21 down jacket shouldn't be defined as a great deal for ya DryBones. I can go look at Marmot Zeus Jacket reviews quite readily. What I can't do is easily get ANY comprehensive reviews for this Royal Falcon jacket. Personally, I would like to see some in depth professional outdoor reviews of this Wally World jacket. Until that time I'm approaching very skeptically.
    This was just a heads up for anyone interested, I'm not trying to sell them and dont give a squat if you're interested or not, I'm certainly not interested in providing you with in depth professional outdoor reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I got a JCPenny puffer jacket last year for $12 and it's been bombproof for the past year. It's warm (can be below freezing with just it and a t-shirt), light (around the same ten ounces), and hasn't fallen apart yet... What more do you need to know? It has saved my ass, as well as that of companions on my hikes, just about every time I've taken it out.

This Wally World one seems a bit warmer, and better made. At $20 it doesn't matter to me how close it is to a $200 jacket... The reality is I won't (can't) spend $200 on a jacket, but I will spend $20 on one.

Thanks DB!

Ok, just compared the two (JCP vs. WM) and the WM is definitely a bit better. It's got better material on the edges, has a tighter baffle pattern, and just generally seems more solid. It's hard to tell, but it does seem warmer. They both weigh 12 oz on my scale.

Images

I don't have one from Walmart but I did get a cheap one from Costco. Great jacket for the price but (and there is always a but), there is no DWR to speak of, it sucks up water in the lightest rain. This really limits its usefulness for hiking for me.

Does the Walmart jacket have any water resistance at all?

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    I don't have one from Walmart but I did get a cheap one from Costco. Great jacket for the price but (and there is always a but), there is no DWR to speak of, it sucks up water in the lightest rain. This really limits its usefulness for hiking for me.

Does the Walmart jacket have any water resistance at all?
    It says 'protects against light precipitation' but I doubt even that. For me the down jacket is in with my sleeping bag to stay dry for camp use only.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    It says 'protects against light precipitation' but I doubt even that. For me the down jacket is in with my sleeping bag to stay dry for camp use only.
    I hear you on the camp use. I go hiking with Scouts about every month, and we spend a lot more time in camp that if I am hiking alone or with my kids. So camp use stuff gets a lot more use.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Just snagged one, thanks. Want to explain to my wife why I couldn't resist?
    Atta boy!

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Atta boy!
    That wasn't my wife's reaction. It looked a little closer to this:

(She'll be happy the first time I happen to pack it on a day hike and she gets cold when we stop for lunch though. )

I have this jacket as well. Great for the price. The elastic band at the bottom drives me nuts, but that's my only complaint.

Score! Found this little gem after scouring three WMs today (was pretty awful). Seems like a legit jacket that has value for $21. However, I'm a hiking rookie and not versed well in the language of DOWN. But I do have thick northern blood and my internal furnace runs hot, this should serve its purpose.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++