WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I went to Wal-Mart during my lunch hour and bought two of these. They had one in navy and one in grey.

If I put a Patagonia or Mtn Hardware or TNF logo on the chest of these 95% of folks would be none the wiser. The elastic around the bottom is a little odd, but it's not horribly restrictive. I wore it while out and about and it was quite warm. There are pockets on both sides of the front and they both have zippers. There are pockets inside the jacket as well, but they are at the bottom, not up on your chest. They don't seem very functional, but maybe good for a map or something?

downjackets.JPG

If I had to guess where the drastic price difference comes from between these and a high end brand, I would say most of it is the high end brand logo. The rest is that the jacket is filled with duck down, not goose down and there's probably less of it than some other jackets.

Considering the price, this was a great buy. I'm pretty pumped about it and I'm thinking about sleeping outside tonight </sarcasm>.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Things like DWR coatings, calenderd fabric, quality of zippers, etc., do make a significant difference in the performance of the gear. It also effects price.
    MEC gear isn't exactly cheap, but they keep using cheap zippers in their down jackets even though customers have been complaining about it in reviews on their website for years.

Well, after wearing the Walmart jacket around the house for a couple of weeks I went back and bought another one today, I'm a sucker for a deal, don't ask me how I'm going to wear three down jackets, might give one away when I decide which color I like best.

Any chance I could get one of those from ya? I'm only messing around. You got a good deal. I'm happy for ya. Now you have one for yard work. One for changing the oil in the truck. One for hiking. I'm still working on my research.

I have checked both of my local Walmarts and nothing. You guys must have cleaned them out and they had to transfer them to the other stores. Darn.

I went online and couldnt find the jacket. Is this just an in-store thing?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I think it's a hit-or-miss thing. There are obviously clearance prices, and based on this discussion, when someone finds them, they usually don't find many.

I know the 1st walmart I looked did NOT have the jackets in stock, but the second one had three... only one of which was in my size.

Drove to Wisconsin last weekend, to explore the ice caves. Stopped at a W-mart in Des Moines and found about 6 of these jackets. I bought an XL although I'd rather have an XXL. Got back in the car just as the snow began. Drove in a blizzard, avoiding about 40 wrecks, for the next 7 hours.

Met a long-lost cousin at a rib joint in Superior for dinner. Consumed much beer over family history discussions. (Loved it!) After dinner, I missed the turn into my motel, but did a quick turn into the next empty lot where I got stuck in about 2' of snow.

I grabbed that new down jacket and spent the next hour digging out the car. The temp was 0. The wind was steady at about 15MPH.

Truth be told... I'm not sure if it was the exertion, the mass quantities of beer, or the new jacket that kept me warm. But I sure do like that $21 jacket!

PS. The ice caves were fantastic!
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Journal Entries

I too just bought one. They run a little small, so I bought the XXL. Provides decent warmth for it's weight. Can't go wrong for $21.

No luck finding any down here at multiple WMs. Bugger.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
    I went up to wally world and to check these out and here is what I saw. If you look at the pictures you may see the same thing. The ribs on the wal mat one were fake, there were no ribbed chambers, if you look on the inside you notice it is one solid sheet of material. Also on the ones I looked at they were not down or feathers, but pure poly fill. I do know different walmarts sell different stuff, these that I looked at were called faded glory. So the name is different than the picture. They were still nice jackets, I went to Kolhs and found the same thing done the same way only they were $50 marked down to $10. Still A nice jacket. I just would not compare to a na no puff. Not the same league.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Just got back from Walmart, bought a down jacket on sale for $21.00, looks about the same as the Marmot Zeus I was wearing at the time but lighter weight, Marmot weighs 16 oz, the Walmart jacket weighs 12 oz. The Marmot cost $200, the Walmart $21....not a bad deal.
    Well nice find Drybones. Honest I can't find what you are talking about. Understand there are different kinds of down

That's the short version. Enjoy the jacket.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

They are getting purged quickly. WM is now putting out summer stuff. When I visited my sister in a small town west of Nashville last month, they were opening up a new WM store. Figured I'd check them out and maybe get lucky finding this elusive jacket. No such luck. All their new stock was summer crap in January!

Check out walmart online- has Realtree camo down jacket $29

Journal Entries
    Images

• Filling material: 80 percent down, 20 percent feather

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Real...Specifications

NOW ITS $49 I would pass on this there is no mention of waterproofing or water resistance.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Chill out. No one was beating you up for your find. I'm happy for ya. However, don't go playing your Wally World deal off as the same as the Marmot Zeus which is exactly what you did. Seems like you don't like being called on this unfair comparison because that's exactly what it is because we do not have the details of your jacket. You've done this before when I asked for details on Wally World gear finds. Is it too much for wanting to know gear details to make fair comparisons if that's even possible? *Don't open up a thread where YOU start a comparison and not expect people to want the details to make a fair comparison.

Ha ! That's put the cat amongst the Pigeons !

I stumbled on these jackets the other night. Picked up two. Could not pass it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I put the infamous Walmart jacket to the test this week end. A group of us did an 8-mile night hike Friday, 14-mile Saturday, and finished up with 8 miles Sunday. It started raining Friday night, so in keeping with my usual ability to lose things I left my long sleeve wool 1/4 zip on the trail when I stopped to put on a rain jacket, didn't pay but $20 for the shirt but it was my favorite, all I had then was a tee shirt and the jacket. The low Friday was around 35 and Saturday 40, the jacket kept me warm with only a tee shirt under it and had to be unzipped if I moved around much. Attached is a photo of me with the WM jacket next to a friend with a Patagonia for comparison. Also attached is a photo with a lady wearing a purple jacket, I thought it was identcal to the Marmot my wife has...it was a $19 jacket she got at Academy, I mention this just to say you can get some pretty good gear on a limited budget.

2014_03030005.jpg2014_03030004.jpg

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Well, I put the infamous Walmart jacket to the test this week end. A group of us did an 8-mile night hike Friday, 14-mile Saturday, and finished up with 8 miles Sunday. It started raining Friday night, so in keeping with my usual ability to lose things I left my long sleeve wool 1/4 zip on the trail when I stopped to put on a rain jacket, didn't pay but $20 for the shirt but it was my favorite, all I had then was a tee shirt and the jacket. The low Friday was around 35 and Saturday 40, the jacket kept me warm with only a tee shirt under it and had to be unzipped if I moved around much. Attached is a photo of me with the WM jacket next to a friend with a Patagonia for comparison. Also attached is a photo with a lady wearing a purple jacket, I thought it was identcal to the Marmot my wife has...it was a $19 jacket she got at Academy, I mention this just to say you can get some pretty good gear on a limited budget.

2014_03030005.jpg2014_03030004.jpg
    Closely parallels my first use of the jacket this weekend.
    I don't know what the final temperatures were, but the forecast had called for lows near freezing. I was pretty comfortable in camp before going to sleep wearing a thin nylon t-shirt, shorts, rain pants, wool cap, and the $21 wal-mart jacket. The jacket basically replaced a heavier sweatshirt I would have otherwise carried with me. I was quite happy with the substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    That wasn't my wife's reaction. It looked a little closer to this:

(She'll be happy the first time I happen to pack it on a day hike and she gets cold when we stop for lunch though. )
    If you had bought one for her too you might have gotten a better reaction?

I didn't know they were available in black. May have to look around for another now.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++