WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Old saying: advice is to be given, not taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Old saying: advice is to be given, not taken.
    Indeed, why do we even bother giving it?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Indeed, why do we even bother giving it?
    Because it would be irresponsible not to?

My list was a bare bones load out and I'll adjust from there using the input. Some may not appreciate y'alls advice, input, feedback, etc. but I am listening and I do appreciate it. I may have a strong outdoors background but you can't find better information than from those that have actually done it. Thank you all very much.

Images

I once met a hiker in Oct. who had 3 synthetic tee shirts on and was still cold @ 40*. Hypothermia does not discriminate. Sounds like you need some real hiking gear.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gus9890 View Post
    My list was a bare bones load out and I'll adjust from there using the input.
    Glad to hear that.

At the most basic level, you need to get a good night's sleep, and shivering all night doesn't help that....

Have a great hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

My best advice is to listen and heed the advice of those that have gone before us. I didn't very well and suffered the 230 miles that I did. This year is going to be a lot different......xfingers.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

My list was a bare bones load out and I'll adjust from there using the input. Some may not appreciate y'alls advice, input, feedback, etc. but I am listening and I do appreciate it. I may have a strong outdoors background but you can't find better information than from those that have actually done it. Thank you all very much.
    Good, so have you started to think about what you'll get for a new sleeping bag, tent and so on? There are hundreds of gear lists in the gear forum to browse through to give you an idea of what you really need.

You might have a strong outdoor background but how much of that is actual hiking/camping experiance for more then a weekend? And how long ago? If you've been living in Florida for any length of time, your body is no longer acclumented to cold weather.

Actual hiking/camping experience comes from going out hiking and camping all the time for 1-2 month straight periods, on the average, (deep in the woods, not at camp grounds) while hunting, fishing, or just doing it because I love to do it. I've been doing that for the last 16 years, and I also walk, hike, rock climb all the time. I don't know if it's due to a really high metabolism or what but weather acclimatization has never been a factor for me.

That's why I figured I'd start with a bare load out then get input, because I've seen a lot of different lists and I figure best info is finding out from those here that have done it. I'm not new to hiking at all, but I know each trail is different. I found out the hard way out west (hiking from El Paso in the Franklin Mountains up into NM) thinking that just because the area is desert that it would stay hot, ended up cold and wet in the higher elevations from low clouds.

Images

just read some trail journals for weather last year, but i think a few have already posted it. if you have done so much what's the question? if you used that gear in this kind of weather and you were ok, do it again.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    just read some trail journals for weather last year, but i think a few have already posted it. if you have done so much what's the question? if you used that gear in this kind of weather and you were ok, do it again.
    I guess I agree with KK, if you've been there done that, and it works for you, have at it. All we can do is pass on to you what we know works for us and others we hike with.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I tried sleeping in a fleece blanket in the mountains in Virginia once. I froze my butt off. In July.
    My coldest night ever was with a fleece blanket on Standing Indian Mountain in July!

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I'm augmenting what I know with others advice, tips, experience, etc. Thank you all again.

I don't understand some of the gear choices unless you're low on cash.

Fleece blanket: Why? Save weight? Size? I guarantee this will weigh more and be bulkier than a 32 degree down sleeping bag.
    PT Mat: Why? For $40 you can get a Thermarest z-lite which has an excellent R-value and will be far more comfortable.
    No Tent? Sure I saw plenty of these guys in GA and southern NC, never again after that.

I my advice, do what you want with food, hiking clothing, pack, whatever. Get a proper shelter, get a proper sleeping bag. You don't NEED to spend a ton of money on gear, but going out there without a last line of defense is foolish.

There are plenty of guys out there with bare bones ultra light gear, but every one of them has a proper shelter and a sleeping bag.

I googled "Army poncho/shelter half" to find out what it was. No floor, no bug netting, rubberised nylon for matterial for the one I saw for sale on ebay. No weight given, but it has to be heavy and bukly. Plus, you need two of these to make a pup tent, a small one at that.

You really need a proper tent.

Like I said, my list was very basic and I'm using the advice, tips, etc to build on that. I do have a sleeping bag and tent (I usually use a Master Sportsmen 20 deg. bag with Summit Reactor Thermolite Liner and Eureka! Solitaire, 3-Season Tent). The poncho/shelter half is ripstop polyester and really light, an be folded to fit into a cargo pocket. It can also be laid on the ground, no pad, (with half below a person and other half pulled over top of person) and used to keep someone warm that's wearing 3 layers of medium winter protection in 10 deg. weather. But I wouldn't use that as my only blanket, tent, etc.

I'm not low on cash, I've just always hiked/camped light during both short and long durations, and I said I wasn't counting batteries, food, etc. I got all that squared away. I believe my Eureka will hold up but I think I will pick up a better rated sleeping bag, judging by the storms everyone's been having.

Journal Entries
    Images

This is my first time on the AT. I plan on starting in March, doing a ultralight NOBO yo-yo with staying away from towns as much as possible. (Except for PA, I got family in York). I plan on doing it 4-5 weeks one way (I'm 6'7" and naturally hike at a quick pace). I grew up in the woods, I was in Scouts, and I'm military so I'm not worried about comfort and I know things don't always go according to plan. This is the basic load plan for my backpack I've put together (not counting batteries, water purification, food, etc). I'm looking for advice, tweaks, pointers, etc. because I know everyone loads out differently. Thank you very much.

In Back pack:
    Sportsmen 20 deg. bag with Summit Reactor Thermolite Liner and Eureka! Solitaire, 3-Season Tent
    -Army Boonie hat, Army Shemagh, Fleece PT/skull cap
    -Cold-Weather UnderArmor top, moisture wicking t-shirts (3)
    -Fleece top
    -Wool socks/moisture wicking socks (3 pr each)
    -Sneakers (1 pr)
    -Nylon Suplex/Polyester Wind top and pants
    -Polyvinyl/Polyester rain top and bottom
    -Camleback
    -Fleece blanket
    -Army poncho/shelter half (2)
    -PT/ground mat
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You need to get some proper equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    First, thank you for your service.
    But . . .
    With all due respect for your scouting and military background, perhaps mentally you can. But physiologically, whether you want to admit it or not - No, you simply can't. You may complain less and push on rather than give up when the going gets tough, but all the military training and toughness in the world doesn't alter the physics and physiology of heat loss. If you've studied military history, you'll know that the number of soldiers that die from hypothermia and freezing to death, rather than hostile fire, is pretty incredible. Factor in that you will be exerting tremendous energy hiking while operating on a net caloric deficit. Get wet and cold and you are in deep $#!^ - and even more so without a dry shelter, insulating ground pad, and dry sleeping bag rated for the temps you'll be experiencing. They are your last line of defense/safety.

+1, er +4. You need better/more insulation and protection from the elements. See Slo-go'en, bfayer, Damn Yankee 's posts.
    And have fun on your hike!
    HI Gus Interesting start - most of the gear kit you mentioned appears for group survival - keep you alive and not comfortable. Almost battle of the bulge stuff. The AT is a different set of techniques, light equipment, and going to work all day is walking 15-20 miles. Good sleep is very important for keeping it real. Your kit needs to as efficient as possible as well as your shoes and feet. The gear you mentioned is bomb proof and there is so much better stuff out there. You do not need to spend a lot. Just get a lot more picky, I would suggest the tent is way too much for the trail. I am not going to make any other suggestions other than reading a few more threads. - Good Luck!

Oh why did I multi-quote the above... ? They are on target!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Okay, I guess on the Army poncho/shelter half was just a missunderstanding of the terminology. Sounds like you have a basic coated nylon poncho.

Well, it won't take long for you to find out if you made wise gear choices for the AT, I wish you the best of luck.

Images

An Army poncho has snaps arranged so that two of them can be used to make a tiny two-person tent. An Army "shelter half" is a piece of shaped canvas with snaps arranged so that two of them make a tiny two-person tent. The shelter half is really heavy, not very water resistant, and a PITA to set up and use, and it doesn't work as a poncho.

The poncho is a multipurpose item that works for a lot of things but not particularly well for any of them
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++