WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Amtrak train DC to Lynchburg and then bus to Roanoke

Just bought a ticket for spring travel at a great price: $39.95. There's a 25% off sale right now if you book the Northeast Regional train 14 days in advance. And yes, it's a senior ticket; the adult fare is maybe $10 more. The Northeast Regional goes from Boston to central Virginia, btw, so this info may help other hikers.
    http://www.amtrak.com/northeast-regional-train

Journal Entries

mega bus non-stop, d.c. to christiansburg,va. can be a considerable amount less than $40(the sooner you book the less the fare). as a matter of fact--boston to d.c. to christiansburg could run you less than $40(book early)

Yes, you are right about the price being less, Don. Right now, for April 8 (the latest you can now book), a Megabus ticket from DC to Christiansburg goes for $15. But then you need to get yourself to the trail. I want to get to Roanoke because I have friends there and want to visit first before I hike.

If they're friends they shouldn't mind driving 30 minutes up the road to pick you up, right?
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Just bought a ticket for spring travel at a great price: $39.95. There's a 25% off sale right now if you book the Northeast Regional train 14 days in advance. And yes, it's a senior ticket; the adult fare is maybe $10 more. The Northeast Regional goes from Boston to central Virginia, btw, so this info may help other hikers.
    http://www.amtrak.com/northeast-regional-train
    Looks like a great deal. Traveling by train is fun. Thanks for the tip.

They are friends, but they aren't young, and I don't want to inconvenience them. Traveling by train is fun, yes, but I've had interesting conversations on both trains and buses. You never know who your seatmate is going to be. It's a lot like the shelter encounters. They always remind me of short stories in the making: you know, the ones where random people find themselves snowed in in a remote cabin, or on an ocean voyage. People thrown together by chance who have to make do.

The Smart Bus goes from Christiansburg to Roanoke. It's a $4 trip and stops at the same park and ride as the MegaBus.
    http://www.smartwaybus.com/routeinfo.htm

++ New Posts ++