WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best single wall shelter that uses trekking poles?

Thinking of upgrading my tent. Currently have an Easton kilo 2 person that I like but looking to shave some weight and not fool w tent poles..needs to be fairly roomy as I usually hike with my lil jack Russell and plan to start taking my 7 year old son. I want a solid shelter that keeps elements out as well as bugs. I mostly hike the southern Appalachians but plan to hike the jmt later in year. Any reccs??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Section Hiker

I don't have one (yet) but a fellow hiker had a Tarp Tent Notch on a hike in the snow last month. I was really impressed with it.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Tarp Tent and LightHeart Gear are both recommended.

I had read about tarp tents leaking...can't remember model

Check out Zpacks that have some really light/roomy tents.

I've been digging my TT contrail. Quite roomy! Its only seen the backyard but I like the simplicity and weight of it. Pretty cheap too so if it ends up not working out it will be a great backup tent.
    But I researched for many hours to decide the contrail is what I wanted. Comes down to preference. You'll get a million different answers

Tarp Tent, Six Moon Designs, Zpacks, Mountain Laurel Design, and LightHeart Gear all get a lot of discussion around here. There are others too. On the continuous spectrum of tarp-tentness, some are more tarp-like and some are more tent-like. Some are heavier and some are lighter. Some are less expensive and some are more expensive. There are many variables and everyone's situation is different so there isn't such a thing as a "best" tent.

I spent a long time agonizing over this exact same issue, wanting to get the best option for me. I search every web site and read every review. Every time I decided on my choice, a few days later, I changed my mind and started the process over. Ultimately I realized that my quest for the best tent was causing me to not get any tent, which was ironically the worst possible outcome. I decided that getting info and reviews on-line can only go so far and the only way to know for sure is to get out there and backpack with it, and that I knew enough to get something that (if not "best") was certainly going to be good enough. So I got myself a SMD Skyscape Trekker, but won't been able to try it out until our three feet of snow melts.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelosborne View Post
    Salty, thanks again for the info on Roan.

I have to second the greatness of Zpack shelters. I used the solo during a 2 week section hike last year and then ended up selling it as it was a little tight for me. The Solo-plus looks about perfect. I actually have a solo-plus tarp on order which I plan on using for a GSMNP section in a month or two. I figure that being that I'll end up sheltering I'll only need a back up. The solo-plus is at around 6oz with stakes. Scary light.

If I like it and it seems the right size I may ask Joe to sew in a bug net or maybe just buy the bug shelter so I have flexibility in terms of capabilities and weight. Anyways, I can't say enough good things about Zpack gear.

I have the mountain laurel design patrol shelter which is much roomier than I expected and designed very well to give you the best chances against the elements and as for leaking, I have yet to try it in rain but I plan on seam sealing it over again and hoping I don't run into that problem
    Using Tapatalk

Either a Tarptent (I have a Scarp 1 and a Contrail) or for more room for your dog a MLD Duomid with inner net (either the solo inner net or the duo). I recently purchased a MLD Cricket and really looking forward to using it this Spring and Summer, going to use the Bear Paw solo inner net with it. The Cricket would be too small though I think for you and your dog.

Images

TT Contrail-1, 000 + miles and still going strong!!!!!!!

Im sure if you search the forums you will find what your looking for.

I've been digging my TT contrail. Quite roomy! Its only seen the backyard but I like the simplicity and weight of it. Pretty cheap too so if it ends up not working out it will be a great backup tent.
    But I researched for many hours to decide the contrail is what I wanted. Comes down to preference. You'll get a million different answers

Quote Originally Posted by poopsy View Post
    Tarp Tent and LightHeart Gear are both recommended.
    LightHeart tents aren't single-wall.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Let me be clearer... I'm not interested in the separate bug net idea.. Want a single shelter that breathes well...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by michaelosborne View Post
    Ditto.. I have ZPacks Solo Plus and love it.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Got a Contrail last month and have used it once. Sets up fast, roomy, only 4 stakes.

Even better, it only uses 1 trekking pole.

Images

With a dog I highly recommend that you stay away from net floors and cuben fiber. With a small child you need as much protection from wind and rain as possible.

With those two things in mind, I recommend either an HS Tarptent, or a Lightheart. I have both. I do have to say I am more partial to the Lightheart. It has a higher bathtub floor, better views in nice weather, and closes up better in bad weather.

My tarptent Rainshadow II is a virtual palace (size wise) and still weighs less than most two person tents. It sets up a little easier than the Lightheart, but it does not close up as tight in bad weather, so you need to be a little pickier about the direction of the weather when you set it up. The Lightheart is more symmetrical, so it's a little more forgiving in that respect.

I am not knocking the other recommendations, I just don't think they are ideal for your situation. Although most of the small cottage companies will probably do something custom for you, there are costs involved.

Good luck in your search.

Images

Friend of mine has used a tarp tent contrail for three years and over half the AT. Still uses it with no complaints
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Let me be clearer... I'm not interested in the separate bug net idea.. Want a single shelter that breathes well...

When you find that tent, patent it. You'll make a fortune.
    In the meantime, look at total protected real estate per pound. Space to weight ratio. For those times when you are weather bound and you need to keep you, the kid, the dog & your gear dry. Floors that taper in all directions aren't space efficient. Vestibules barely big enough to keep a pair of boots dry won't do.
    TarpTent StratoSpire 1 for you and the dog.
    TarpTent StratoSpire 2 for all 3 of you.
    Good luck!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++