WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Default Re-sizing your NeoAir... Not as daunting as it sounds!

Being a side/stomach sleeper, I like having a wide Neoair. But we all know the wide models are also very long, longer than I constructively need. I know this topic has been discussed here, but I just wanted to show some pictures and let you know that resizing is actually easy and dependable.

I followed this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kumSl-cbLlY

The only thing that makes you cringe a bit is when you make that very first cut into your pad. Everything else after is gravy. All it takes is some patience and care. It worked so well on my older model Neoair, that I immediately went and chopped my Xlite as well. What I now have is two pads that are about 5' long each inflated, 15 and 13oz respectively. My feet will be on top of the integrated sit pad in my pack. Several ounces lost from each, but absolutely no loss of comfort. Works for me.

20130324_103438.jpg

To prove to myself that this really works, I took the end pieces, sealed them up with some air inside, and stood on them:

20130324_103604.jpg

This was immediately after I got done with the sealing. My full 170# weight is on here. Hopefully this will help if you've been thinking of doing it. Now go cut with confidence. :-)
    We are all one big human family.

Good work! I think a 72"x25" would be my perfect sleeping pad. May have to get around to doing this one day.

Ryan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    Good work! I think a 72"x25" would be my perfect sleeping pad. May have to get around to doing this one day.

Ryan
    I had the same measures in my mi.nd. nade me think why Neoair does not include 72'' x 25 '' in their line of products.

Images

I can agree on 72" by 25" as well, when talking about a sleeping pad on a whole. Would be ideal for my height too. That was my first consideration when I was going to make the mods. However when I put more thought into it, I was able to take a bit more more off the whole equation, while being able to make use dual-use of my pack and the integrated pad. Something to consider.

Cool! Hard for me coming to the place where I can slice up a, ahem, $140 + pad though.

Wonder if we will see this.
    April 1 - for sale, slightly amended virtually new Neo Air
    April 15 - barely used CUSTOMIZED Neo Air, moving, must sell
    May 1 - cheap, DIY Neo Air, SOMEWHAT LIKE NEW, buying new Neo Air in quest for PERFECT sized Neo Air
    May 10 - yellow Neo Air material for sale, could be used to make hot air ballon or DIY PERFECT sized water bladder(here we go again)
    May 20 - anyone need a destroyed Neo Air? free
    June 1 - garbage trunk takes away yellow rubbery material to landfill
    June 2 - homeless man finds yellow rubbery material at landfill and has BRILLIANT idea to make sleeping pad out of it
    1 yr. later - previously homeless man moves into new home after launching successful UL cottage gear company specializing in selling lighter wt PERFECTLY sized sleeping pads
    Circle of life continues. Human beings evolve to the next level.
    Since I rather enjoy witnessing people improving their lives, by all means this sounds likes a wonderful DIY Neo Air project.

Could be a win win for some DIY types and some homeless folks, as well as, Cascade Designs too.

Images

I did this to my neoair over a year ago - it's fine. works great, I haven't had any problems with it - I too am a side sleeper and wanted the wider neoair, but not the length. Just cut off the length and iron it - the baffle material inside keeps the next area from sticking together - trim out what you need.

The NeoAir Trekker now comes in a 25"x47" model.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I did this to my neoair over a year ago - it's fine. works great, I haven't had any problems with it - I too am a side sleeper and wanted the wider neoair, but not the length. Just cut off the length and iron it - the baffle material inside keeps the next area from sticking together - trim out what you need.

Ditto.....
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Exped is now making in 25 x 72

I got the exped....waaaaaayyy to scared to cut it though.

I don't want to start a new thread for one item, but I just ran across this:

http://www.elementalhorizons.com/sta...eping-pad.aspx

I wonder if anyone on Whiteblaze has tried it yet.

Looks almost as comfortable as a hammock.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

As a 5ft. 3in. side sleeper I have shortened successfuly 3 Large Neo-Air models. All work just fine with plenty of nights and miles on them. Warrenty only matters if you would ever send them back! Test for a week before shortening, then go for it.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Can folks who have shortened a Long NeoAir provide me with the final size of their pad (L x W, with Height likely still 2.5") and weight?

I'd be very interested in customizing a Long version to create a wide (25") torso-length (45") pad, using my pack underneath my feet for all but sub-freezing camps.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Kerosene - I posted the length and weight of mine; I can tell you with certainty that with the length you're proposing, you'll likely be sub 10oz. Will obviously depend on whether you have older-style or Xlite.

Maybe this bump will get others to chime in.

Shortened my pad today. So easy. Final size is 68x25. I really want to trim it down to 48", but I'm afraid I won't like putting my feet and legs on my pack, and I won't be able to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynate View Post
    Shortened my pad today. So easy. Final size is 68x25. I really want to trim it down to 48", but I'm afraid I won't like putting my feet and legs on my pack, and I won't be able to go back.
    So, Nastynate, what is the final weight of your modified pad?

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    So, Nastynate, what is the final weight of your modified pad?
    I don't have a scale. It started at 16oz. So maybe 14 -14.5oz. I've always had 20x48 pads until I got the xlite large, so I probably ought to cut it further. But I'd only save maybe 4oz. I have plenty of other places to save weight right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Can folks who have shortened a Long NeoAir provide me with the final size of their pad (L x W, with Height likely still 2.5") and weight?

I'd be very interested in customizing a Long version to create a wide (25") torso-length (45") pad, using my pack underneath my feet for all but sub-freezing camps.
    I cut down a large Xlite NeoAir to approx. 50" long and used it on my thru hike in 2012. No issues with the pad, however I just purchased a new large Xlite NeoAir that I plan to cut long enough for my full length. Given the height of 2.5", I think it will be more comfortable.

Wow...some great ideas on here! I always have issues getting pads that are too long, but never wide enough. At 5-6, I have plenty of length, but it seems that I never have enough width. May try this idea out with one of my older pads first, before cutting up an Exped. Thanks folks!!

I just shortened my NeoAir following these instructions. I barely made it through without hyperventilating... but it worked! My previous large neoair has now been reduced from 77x25 to 64x25, my exact height. It only shaved 2 oz off the weight, but I was more interested in doing this to make it fit inside my Eureka Spitfire. The mattress was so long before, I would have to curl it up at the ends to make it fit the diamond shape of the tent.

Thanks for posting this article -- so helpful!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++