WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Oh, yeah!!! Forgot those near Springer a couple of nights. Plus the machine gun fire, explosions, etc. Interesting attempt at sleeping THAT night !!
    reminded me of the rockaways after sandy

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Oh admit it...you're quaking in your hiking boots! I know I would be. But just imagine how you'll feel when the anxiety turns to full-blown excitement! Have fun....I'll just sit here and be envious......
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    reminded me of the rockaways after sandy

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor THAT day, I can tell you!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries
    Images

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor THAT day, I can tell you!
    Are you the Keymaster?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Oh, yeah!!! Forgot those near Springer a couple of nights. Plus the machine gun fire, explosions, etc. Interesting attempt at sleeping THAT night !!
    The clack of a 240 Bravo woke me up one night at Hawk Mtn.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Sleepy Time Tea w/ a shot of AppleJack might help.

Wait, wahatas tat. I tweard somthin.

Images

The only thing that makes me nervous in the woods is people, so the more isolated I am the better I sleep.

I think its common when alone once in awhile...you think...hmmm all that separates me from the outside is this thin material. Like a wrapper on a hamburger for a hungry bear, wolf, mountain lions, or gang of sasquatches.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    I think its common when alone once in awhile...you think...hmmm all that separates me from the outside is this thin material. Like a wrapper on a hamburger for a hungry bear, wolf, mountain lions, or gang of sasquatches.
    Sounds like someone has been watching too many Irreality made for TV by Bollywood for ratings TV shows. TV has gotten so over the top unreal, even the Weather Channel. A gang of sasquatches? C'mon. I suppose they're coming with the Gray aliens, zombies, and vampires to do sexual experiments, eat your warm brains, and drink your blood too? Where are Moulder, Mila Jovovich, Buffy, and the Van Helsings when you need them? Please Kate Beckinsale save me save me.

Images

Or you can sleep under the stars

sent from a samsung galaxy far far away

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh that's helpful! Now I KNOW Snacktime and I are sleeping in the car at SNP!!!!

When I first started backpacking, I always went out on nights of the full moon because I wanted to be able to see what was out there. I didn't realize that the light of a full moon was enough to keep me awake;-) I slept very little on those first few trips. On the AT it seemed like I was always so tired, insomnia really wasn't a problem. I stayed in shelters for the most part, so had to deal with the noise of snoring, mice, zippers, etc. but after hiking all day, I was tired enough I usually slept well.

Since then, I find the first night or two as my body adjusts to sleeping on the ground again difficult, but after a couple of days I'm asleep very quickly -- unless I'm in grizzly country. Then I tend to sleep very lightly.

I know the first night out on my first section hike, I was expecting all sorts of wild sounds, but it was so quite, I couldn't sleep...crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    The only thing that makes me nervous in the woods is people, so the more isolated I am the better I sleep.
    I can understand that. :>)

Oh man, you just read my mind! I've said this exact thing before. That's so funny!!

I'll never forget last May, on the AT, I had just finished eating my dinner on a rock. I turn around, in the pitch black darkness, of the night, to see 2 yellow or green (can't remember) eyes staring at me, not too far away. All I could see was the eyes, nothing else. No sound.

I proclaimed that TWO eyes were staring at me!! My daughter laughed & asked if I would have preferred just ONE.

Journal Entries
    Images

That Shelby! Don't you love the way our kids treat us like kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    That Shelby! Don't you love the way our kids treat us like kids?
    Yep... that girl! The only thing that upsets her on the trail is SPIDERS! She has a cow if she sees one crawling on the outside of her tent. I'm like, who cares & I'll brush it off with my bare hands.. Meanwhile, she's in her tent having a conniption fit. LOL!!

Images

During my first summer of backpacking, my wife sent me out Friday night. So off I went with Addis Gap my destination. I arrived at the trailhead around 11:00 and hiked North about an hour until I saw a campsite. Started putting up my tent an noticed paper in a hole in the ground. My thoughts were its "crap", until I realized yellow jackets were buzzing about. I killed the light and dragged my tent about 50 ft away. Switched on the light to make camp and got stung twice.

Shortly after getting in bed a blood curdling "Screeee"....followed by "Who, ho, ho". I imaged a rabbit became owl food.

Later, I was awakened by a loud "Sniff, sniff, sniff" by a large animal on the other side of the tent mesh. I wasn't sure what it was at the time, but saw bear tracks in the mud next morning.

I've never had a night like that since.

BTW, I was stung again the next morning
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++