WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Hey Skinny Rooster! The advice to get some hiking in is sage advice. The reason why although I travel with my job I tote my pack and the gear I've already gotten along with me, one of the reasons I got it so early on. will be looking to get some practice when I get up in NY, maybe some weekend trips. By the way, what's an e2e?
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Journal Entries

Mane, I am excited for you!! Will be sure to keep a look out for you. We can exchange stories about what lies ahead for us both :-)
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Journal Entries

Thanks Sidd, will let you know what I find and how it goes.

Hey, y'all! I'm counting down, too!!! It's going to be so exciting
    "In our best times, everything turns into religion, all the world seems a church and the mountains, altars." ~ John Muir

1 year and 34 days til my fiance and I set out on the trail. I can't wait and good luck to everyone else who is thru-hiking!

Journal Entries

In reply to the spreadsheet, you might want to try out greargrams.com. Online gear list program where you can enter all your gear and then create gear lists for different hikes and condition.

Journal Entries

2015 lady Thru Hiker

e2e = End to End or a thru hike
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

NCn8chrgrrl, hey. Nice of you to stop by. And you are right, it is very exciting!!! I just want to do a little happy dance every time someone else joins the ranks. I look forward to hearing more about you as you plan your hike.

Journal Entries

vagabondphotographer....give me a moment to figure out one of your two interest are What will you be carrying to snap shots with? I will likely be leaving my Canon 7D at home, so need to figure out what I will carry in it's stead. Any thoughts?

Journal Entries

Very nice Grampsb. I went to the site and opened an account. Looks very easy to use

Journal Entries

BuckeyeBill, uh, yeah, that makes total sense now that I think about it. No one could accuse me of being slow!

I also plan on doing the thru hike in 2015. I am looking for a hiking partner/s. Not saying we have to stick together 24/7, but someone that enjoys good company. If you have any interest in getting to know me, or would like to start the trail together, email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    Have you done a spreadsheet for weights?
    Okay, finally started a spreadsheet and so far I am at 12.5 lbs with my pack (4.5), my sleeping bag (2.1), my sleeping pad (1.4), my tent w/footprint (2.7) and a few smaller things - headlamp, poles, water filter. Big items still needed: stove, camera, clothes. How does it looks like I'm doing so far? Aiming for around 30 lbs.

30lbs is still kind of heavy. I would aim for 20-26lbs. You can look into a lighter pack. I have an Exos that weights 2.5lbs, my tent is a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 that comes in around 2lbs. Try to narrow it down to what you actually need, compared to luxury items.

Journal Entries

Hey Matt thanks for taking a look :-) I am aiming for a balance between weight and comfortable. I will on the slow boat for the journey and not looking to break any speed records. Looking to hit GA March 5th, stay for the ATKO then head for springer on the 9th. Main goal with regard to time is to hit Katahdin before the snow hits or they close it for the winter. So don't mind carrying a little extra weight for comfort. Just don't want to go overboard. Based on a couple of recommendations (yours included) I can going to relool at my pack. I ended up with that one for fitting purposes but will look again to see if I can find something that gives the fit but loses some ounces. I already know I can lose some weight changing my sleeping pad out for a shorter model. Tried the fly creek but didn't like the way it was constructed so ended up with the CSUL1.

Saw on another post that you are planning to head out around March as well. While it has always been my desire to solo, one of things I am most looking forward to is the people I'll meet along the way. At your age you will probably leave me in the dust but hope we'll get a chance to meet out there!

Well i am glad to see all people out there wanting to hike the AT. I have hiked the NJ part and came across some of the most amazing thru hikers all shapes, sizes, and genders! Some of the nicest people are on the trail. Although it is a year away, i am beyond excited for it! i constantly read about it and widen my knowledge of the AT. Once you have all your gear you should make a post. I will be making one in a few days. I also could cut some weight, but i feel that some luxury items, or items i can trim down are a must for me! its all about the hiker and what they feel comfortable with. I also hope to meet you ( and other hikers ive read about leaving around that time) out there! Nothings like a trail family! hope all is well. keep me posted.

Journal Entries

I too plan to do an ATTH beginning March 2015. I've been wanting to do this since I was a little kid and my mom would take us out on the Blue Ridge Parkway every summer. I would see the sign posts marking the Appalachian Trail entering and exiting on the side of the road. I would say to myself, I want to follow that trail someday. I grew up in Galax, Staunton, Waynesboro, and Roanoke. The scary part for me is that if I say I'm going to hike the trail beginning March 2015 it will jinx it somehow. I'm afraid I won't have the necessary time to save up enough for the trail and take care of my bills and responsibilities while I'm on the trail. But it's what the plan is right now. I've purchased my H2O bladders and my head lamp so far. That's all I've purchased so far. It will be interesting to meet everyone else. I plan to do the approach trail. For me, it's not about the race or the mileage, it's about the adventure along the way. I have to finish the trail and be back here in Terlingua, TX by September 1st. But again, it's about the adventure along the way. If I don't make it to Kitahdin by then, I will just have to finish it the next year.

Journal Entries

I too plan to do an ATTK beginning March 2015. I've been wanting to do this since I was a little kid and my mom would take us out on the Blue Ridge Parkway every summer. I would see the sign posts marking the Appalachian Trail entering and exiting on the side of the road. I would say to myself, I want to follow that trail someday. I grew up in Galax, Staunton, Waynesboro, and Roanoke. The scary part for me is that if I say I'm going to hike the trail beginning March 2015 it will jinx it somehow. I'm afraid I won't have the necessary time to save up enough for the trail and take care of my bills and responsibilities while I'm on the trail. But it's what the plan is right now. I've purchased my H2O bladders and my head lamp so far. That's all I've purchased so far. It will be interesting to meet everyone else. I plan to do the approach trail. For me, it's not about the race or the mileage, it's about the adventure along the way. I have to finish the trail and be back here in Terlingua, TX by September 1st. But again, it's about the adventure along the way. If I don't make it to Kitahdin by then, I will just have to finish it the next year.

Journal Entries

Siarl, thanks for stopping by. I really never gave the trail a thought until I started camping about 17 years ago. Been thinking about ever since. And, well, I'm not getting younger, so I need to get out there and do this thing! ( in the back of my head is a triple, but we'll see if the ole' body holds up for this one) like you it's about the adventure along the way. Not looking to break any speed record. For one of the first times in my life I doing something that is all for me and I intend to savor every moment :-)

take advantage of all the knowledge on here about gear and preparation. There are a lot of knowledgable people on here who are generous with their time and response to your questions and concerns. I feel I will be much better prepared when I get out there for having found this forum. Look forward to seeing you on the site while we prepare and hope to see you at Springer!

Journal Entries

Matt, I feel the same way. If all the people on the trail are anything like the people, here it's gonna be quite an adventure! I certainly share your excitement! The feelings I get every time I think about it, which is a thousand times a day, is indescribable. It's giddiness, happiness and overwhelming joy all rolled into one. Like you I read and research constantly. I have a 2013 AWOL and am planning when and where to stop, making notes about what there is to see. The one problem I have with it is I keep forgetting to plan town trips for resupply :-( Ifn I was ole Grizzly Adams that might be okay but I ain't, so into town I must go :-) I think that is the hardest part - plotting everything out. This year is gonna fly by!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++