WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I research and research just hoping that the next day i wake up its Feb 28 2015 and ill be leaving the next day!. Until then, planning will just have to do!

Just made a gear list, take a look and hopefully the comments will help us both out! Happy planning! hope everything works out.

I'm building up for my hike as we speak. Gym time, sectional hikes. gear etc.... im planning on starting in MAine july 2015 and hiking south. Best of luck to you and like myself i hope you achieve your dream.
    ScubaScout

Awesome! The time will fly by! You'll be on the trail before you know it. What an awesome adventure to be anticipating

Sent from somewhere in the woods ......

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Hey Scuba, you'll be doing an SOBO with Mane. It will be fun keeping at eye out for you coming the other way! Like I told Mane, we can give each other a heads up about what lies down the trail. Thank you for the good wishes. It's nice to know there are other out there routing for us. 366 days and counting :-)
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Journal Entries

Thanks Gone! The waiting part sucks but I know all the preparation will add to the overall success of my hike, so I'll wait and plan and learn....

Can't wait til I'm somewhere in the woods too "sigh"
    Take Care out there!
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Journal Entries

I've taken the advice of Lady Thru-Hiker and jumped on this band wagon. I love to hear the enthusiasm of all who are planning this 2015 trip. Me, I'm like a little kid. The last time as this excited was when I was18 and back-paced Europe for 3 months. Can't wait o meet all you folks. But fr the meantime it should be fun chatting and sharing info and help.

"Doubt has killed more dreams than failure ever will."

class of 2015 seems like a bunch of trail junkies like myself! we are going to have one hell of a class! I cannot wait, and reading everyones posts who has the same "itch" as me is just making it worse! Dont you wish you could wake up and it is the end of Feb already, your boarding a plane, and headed down to GA! man i cant wait!! Lady Thru-Hiker, i just made a gear list, and some of the peoples comments are very helpful. If you are also looking for a lightweight reliable stove, look at minibulldesigns.com I havent posted the weight of every item in my bag, but i should be around 12-15lbs without food and water. Water weighs 2lbs per liter, so just keep that in mind. As for food, you can always carry just enough to get you to the next town so you aren't killing yourself carrying unneeded food. hoped that helped! .... i feel like the time March 2015 actually gets here our class is already going to know each other so well! Pleasant planning to everyone!

It's awesome to see so many people already getting in touch and making plans for next year! Building off of what matt9817 said above, that 10-16 lbs weight before food/water seems to be what people strive for. I will be on the AT in GSMNP for a week soon and I look hope to run into some thru hikers that I can chat with and see what's been working for them. I know they'll hate all the gear questions but I'm a bit of a gear junkie. I am constantly trying to upgrade. If anyone is looking for a pre-owned item...odds are, I have one or two extra. It's mostly gear I've moved on from so it may not be the newest stuff but it's worked for me.

Also, just out of curiosity... how many people are not planning their resupplies ahead of time and buying their food along the way when they run out? I know towns are relatively close...so I hadn't originally planned on scheduling resupplies until day-to-day on the trail...

Journal Entries

Matt I saw your gear list thread. It looks like you are getting some great feedback. As for myself I am going to be rethinking some of the gear I have already purchased and more carefully considering the items I still need to purchase.

And, if this were March 2015 I would be laying my head down tonight at the lodge after having spent the day walking through the arch and up those stairs. Makes me feel all giddy thinking about it.

Journal Entries

Welcome aboard Juilo! Looking to the next 12 months learning from each other and wishing they would pass sooner.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

The planning is fun. It had better be because it is very important--weigh this, weigh that, including as was said, which is dominant, the walk all day or the camping at night. The weight in my pack is not for the walk, that's for sure, but I do want to be able to sleep comfortably and well without hard shivering to stay alive. Weighing the need for things to keep me warm, I have concluded that I can hike lighter leaving after April 1. It is a sort of compromise. The savings in costs for motels when the weather becomes impossible and the tad fewer ounces of one more layer for warmth that won't be necessary to buy and carry are helping me weigh those factors.

Another point is my body weight. Every ounce that is not helping is probably going to be hurting, so some hard choices are ahead for that too.

I love to hike south from NOC for the beginning. There are many reasons for that, and I find that it works. When I get to Springer, I can hike DOWN the Approach Trail to my ride back up to NOC, from which I will begin north.

I love being out there. When I am, I have the feeling that God intended that we live like that, which is a very good feeling. Yes, if I have the legs for it, I'll be out there with the rest of the "Class" of 2015.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Journal Entries

SawnieRobertson, it sounds like you have a well thought-out plan with an excellent rational for the choices you are making. I know exactly how you feel about being out there. There is a curve on the road that I hit when going to the mountains that I involuntarily sigh and a sense of peace settles upon me. When life really starts getting to me that's where I want to run to and find a place to get lost. And it is where I feel closest to God. And, yes, living like He intended. Hope I have the pleasure of meeting you :-)

Journal Entries

Should I wait and purchase the At Trail Guide or whatever it's called, when the version for 2015 comes out or purchase it now and plan the hike using the 2014 edition? What have others done regarding this?

Quote Originally Posted by Siarl View Post
    Should I wait and purchase the At Trail Guide or whatever it's called, when the version for 2015 comes out or purchase it now and plan the hike using the 2014 edition? What have others done regarding this?
    I've been reading through the 2013 version and will purchase this year's to see if there are any major changes and will buy the 2015 one as soon as I can to use on the trail... it may be overkill but if others say there's no need to get the most updated, then I probably won't.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wtrenda View Post
    I've been reading through the 2013 version and will purchase this year's to see if there are any major changes and will buy the 2015 one as soon as I can to use on the trail... it may be overkill but if others say there's no need to get the most updated, then I probably won't.
    Gotcha. Good advice.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wtrenda View Post
    I've doing the same thing. Using the 2013 version to make a preliminary plan of what shelters/where to stop, noting water sources., shelters etc. A former thru-hiker, Serial, has written a couple of great articles covering points of interests, places to see and stay. Going to include notes from his article as well. Happy planning :-)

Dahoyt here... I am joining the Class of 2015. Was planning on going SOBO this June but decided to stick to going NOBO like I have always wanted to. I have tons of experience, live only a few miles from the LT / AT in Vermont. Been hiking for almost 11 years. Another upswing to waiting and going NOBO next spring ( I plan on being on the trail by mid to late February), is I get to take more time to get better gear, and save more money. I wanna have 6,000 for the trail and 2,000 to live off of when I get home. Bummed I have to wait longer but know it will be well worth it in the end. I wanna take my time, have ample money to enjoy myself, and have the adventure of a lifetime..

Quote Originally Posted by Siarl View Post
    Wait to purchase the 2015 edition. At most, all the planning you really need to do is to download, and read, Mr. Tarlin's re-supply articles.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries

Hey Dahoyt, you are the brave, ambitious one starting in February! Will be keeping my fingers crossed for a milder winter for you. Although being from Vermont it might not matter to you as much as it would me. Sounds like you've got your financial game plan all worked. Like you I had originally planned to head out this year but needed to tend to some other things first. I didn't want to be on the trail wondering what about this and what about that. So, getting this and that all tied up in preparation for what I hope is the beginning of some new adventures. Will be looking for your entries in the registers :-)

by the by, thanks for starting the intro thread !! Great idea!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++