WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I hear ya, past few years I have been selling stuff and throwing junk away quite a bit. For being 24, I have amassed quite a lot of stuff... It's liberating. And I'm starting to get in shape now, so I won't be paying for it when I start the trail...

My wife and I will begin our thru-hike on December 31, 2014. We're expecting to see a few other brave souls out there, but not many. We're excited about getting started in the winter. There is nothing better than hiking on a crisp cold day!

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Wow!! You guys are surely ambitious. I certainly wish you well with that and will look forward to hear how you are getting along that early in the season. Do you have a lot of experience hiking in the cold and snow??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

I am only slightly nervous about going solo, but my family is freaking out! I know that I will not be alone. If I could find someone as dedicated to this adventure as I am then there wouldn't be a problem, but there isn't anyone that I know of that would be. I too like the fact that I can be able to recognize some familiar "faces" and stories. I cant wait to grow and prepare with this class as we all prepare for what is to come.

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    Wow!! You guys are surely ambitious. I certainly wish you well with that and will look forward to hear how you are getting along that early in the season. Do you have a lot of experience hiking in the cold and snow??

Yes we do! We're fairly aware of the task at hand by starting so early. We're going to enjoy the quietness of the trail, the views, the cold, and hopefully the SNOW! We're already section hiked a lot of the trail to Hot Springs, and know how hard the terrain can be with snow. We've spend the last 7 years backpacking for a week at a time around New Years. At times we're had 18" dropped on us, single digit temperatures, and even days that were in the 60's. We're coming prepared for the cold, and will be plenty warm at night. Once the weather starts to turn, we'll slowly send our cold weather gear home. Replacing it with warmer weather gear, and reducing some much needed weight.

Welcome to WB CaityJ. Glad your here. Maybe we will cross paths along the way. I'm starting from ATKO and leaving from there, assuming its on the same date that puts me on the trail March 8thish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahoyt View Post
    Welcome to WB CaityJ. Glad your here. Maybe we will cross paths along the way. I'm starting from ATKO and leaving from there, assuming its on the same date that puts me on the trail March 8thish.
    Hey! You're going to be a few weeks ahead of me. I have to finish my last classes of my MPA and then I will start. I wish I could hit the ground the day I finish, but if I wait my current job will pay me $2,568 back on my student loan and then I can put in my 2 week notice. I hate being politically correct!

So are you NOBO so you can end closer to home?

Quote Originally Posted by CaityJ View Post
    So are you NOBO so you can end closer to home?
    Starting this time of the year everyone is NOBO. Most SOBO hikers don't leave until June or even July due to snow up north.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    Starting this time of the year everyone is NOBO. Most SOBO hikers don't leave until June or even July due to snow up north.
    That wasn't my question to Dahoyt, but thanks! Just curious why he chose NOBO over SOBO being as he is in the north.

That wasn't my question to Dahoyt, but thanks! Just curious why he chose NOBO over SOBO being as he is in the north.
    I must have missed the part where you asked about being SOBO.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    I must have missed the part where you asked about being SOBO.
    Oh no I knew he was NOBO because of the thread he started about our ice breaker introduction stuff

Am planning to be a member of the class of 2015, as well. I am retired teacher and have wanted to do this for several years. Still in the planning stage, but have a friend that is planning on going with me. It has been a lot of fun thus far, just learning as much as I can. This thread has already been much help. Thanks.

Journal Entries

I am only slightly nervous about going solo, but my family is freaking out! I know that I will not be alone. If I could find someone as dedicated to this adventure as I am then there wouldn't be a problem, but there isn't anyone that I know of that would be. I too like the fact that I can be able to recognize some familiar "faces" and stories. I cant wait to grow and prepare with this class as we all prepare for what is to come.
    Welcome aboard CaityJ! It is so exciting each time a new name is added to our group. Like you going solo. And, like you, my family is way more nervous about than I am. Of course, they haven't the advantage of getting on here and "seeing" the community of people we will out there with. And I understand the problem of having someone within your own circle that is like-minded enough to want to do this. My kids are supportive but still think I'm "a lit' touched in the head" for wanting to do this. I do find comfort in knowing that everyone will not be total strangers out there! Happy hiking and I hope will we cross paths .

““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chathamrabbit View Post
    Am planning to be a member of the class of 2015, as well. I am retired teacher and have wanted to do this for several years. Still in the planning stage, but have a friend that is planning on going with me. It has been a lot of fun thus far, just learning as much as I can. This thread has already been much help. Thanks.
    Chathamrabbit! Hey! It's about time we started living our dream right ?? And the planning is a lot of fun. This place is such a valuable resource and I am learning so much. Look forward to hearing more about your plans as we wait through the upcoming year.

Journal Entries

Hey Lady, It's funny that you mentioned minimalizing. Since I committed to making this trip I've done the same. Being in construction I save so much stuff it's ridiculous. I recently took 3 truckloads of stuff to the dump and given away another two. I've been to 2 yard sale markets and sold a bunch, I mean who in their right mind has 14 hammers, for real! I've also packed up and labeled tons of things I was holding for my daughters.It is quite liberating! I still have a long way to go but at least my pack looks sorta ready. See ya soon.

Minimizing my regular life is just as exciting as getting new gear When I leave Little Rock in March 2015 I will be leaving my sleep number bed at my parents house and about 6 boxes. (I have been told that this is all the room I have in the garage). So I basically have a year to empty my 1 bedroom apartment, which is giving me the super fun opportunity to give things to people as I see their needs!

Journal Entries

Woohoo!! 11 months and a wake up to go!!

Journal Entries

Did about 12 miles last weekend hiking some of the trails around Lake Minnewaska in NY. This time I weighed my pack before hand and it came it at 34 pounds, plus I carried a canon 7D around my neck (the camera will not be making the trip, just wanted to be able to take some pictures and I am glad I had it with me. very pretty place) so add another 5 pounds with the lens. All in all I think it went pretty good. Hiked with fellow 2015er, Julio. He can set a pretty good pace. I think he calculated us doing a little more than 3 mph on a trail where the gain was about 300 feet in a mile. Not sure what percent an incline that is. I do know that we did a trail that was posted with a 32% incline over 0.9 miles. I actually did better with that one, which was a little more rocky and broken up then the one where it was straight path with an incline, so nothing to break up the stride. The pace on the straight path finally started working on my asthma and I struggled at maintaining my breathing so had to ask to slow down and sometimes even stop. Repeat hikes won't cure my breathing problem but they will help build up my endurance, so will keep working on it. Ended up with blisters on both feet this week (last week only on the right foot). The one of the right foot i understand because it is right on the ball of the foot but the one of the left has me stumped because it is also between 2 toes - strange. If anyone has any thoughts about it let me know. Definitely will be trying some wool socks because the cotton blends are doing it and see it that helps and need to start carrying moleskin. Physically though very little sorenes or stiffness in the days following.
    A little more concerned about weights now because while I had 2 liters of water and some food I did not have any clothing or miscellaneous items included in that 34 lbs Really didn't expect the pack to weigh as much as it did without any of that added. One thing I realized I keep forgetting to take with me is my epi-pens. It would really suck to get stung by a bee or ground wasp miles from help and not have it handy. Need to get a script for an extra one just to keep in my pack so I don't have to remember to transfer from handbag to backpack. Can't wait to get out and do it again.

Journal Entries

Well, did my first overnighter with the new tent. Found out its a whole lot harder to set up with a good breeze blowing so need to practice, practice, practice. Same thing with getting it down in the morning . A challenge with the wind. Overall like the tent - copper spur ul1. Seemed very small at first. But then I am used to sleeping in something 6X6 by myself so this was a change. But once I got everything situated it was fine. Was able to bring pack in and still have some room. With regard to set up was aiming for being able to keep footprint and rainfly together, lay it out, slid pole under rainfly and set it up while still keeping the "inside" dry in the event of setting up in the rain. Sounds good in theory and works great in the living room and with no wind but not as good as I hoped when there is wind. Any tips for making this work the way it does in my head?

Can you spread it out and peg down one (upwind?) side before you slide pole under fky?

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++