WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

That what I was trying to do. Staked out the four corners first (once I figured that the wind wasn't going to leave it lying down long enough to get the pole under. Didn't know if possible to stake out vestibule / side of tent too or if that is too much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

I'll just go ahead and make the wait even harder!

It's going to be better than you think! I covered 300 miles in '11 before aborting due to a death in the family. I got a taste of everything.....snow, sunburn, rain, missed water holes and cant wait to go back.

I'll offer one piece of advice . Go read a TrailJournal I can say that my planning was fun but LARGELY pointless. Be ready to adjust on the fly. Just tons of little stuff. You will send stuff home and you will forget something. I passed off my sunscreen to a kid from Minnesota who was sunburned ON DAY 3. None of this means you did anything wrong. You'll be fine because we're in this together.

Journal Entries

Thanks for the encouragement lamarr. I know it gets often but one of the things I looking forward to the most is the people I'm going to meet. Right now just focused on sorting out what I can to increase my chances to get from point S to point K knowing adjustments will have to be made along the way. Never hurts to hear it said though.

““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

I hope everything is going well. I'm headed out to Trail Days to really get my fire stoked up! I even put the tent up in the living room today just for old times sake! I'm really enjoying the feeling of everyone getting ready. EVEN BETTER THAN YOU THINK!

Journal Entries

If I had known I would be laid up with a broke wrist I might have made plans to go Enjoy!!

Journal Entries

Seeing pictures on FB lamarr. Jealous beyond words !!

Journal Entries

Plop! Another one in the pool.
    I started walking a year ago to lose weight. I was at 240 and now around 200. Still want to lose about 15 more. So I have walked around 2,800,000 steps so far. Admittedly I have not been completely dedicated to daily walking.
    I decided to do the AT because I lived by part of the trail in NJ and always was intrigued by the mystique. I also want to do it in memory of my beautiful wife who was so active and full of life until MS took it away. She was a singer, actor, dancer, personal trainer and professional body builder in NYC. She set me on the path of fitness and healthy lifestyle. Even with the MS she never gave up. I also get bored walking the same route day after day or around the mall. One of my Bucket list items is to climb Kilimanjaro, so I need to get in shape.
    I started the training process yesterday. Here is my first journal entry.
    Training Day 1:

My Horoscope for May 16, 2014; Libra 9/23-10/22

Exploration suits you just fine today -- so get out there and take in new sights and sounds! You are likely to discover the next big thing, or at least your next new obsession.

Today I decided to walk to the grocery store. The nearest one to my house, it is only 7.5 miles each way. After all I have been walking an average of about 4 miles a day for the last year and I am in decent shape. I put on what I thought were my best walking shoes (turns out not so much) and set out. Start time 1:45 PM. Starting temp 69 degrees. I just got back home 7:35 PM. Present temp 45 degrees. OK it is Colorado. Along the way I encountered 5’ deep snow drifts across the trail, ankle deep mud in a couple of spots and some really cute Alpacas that walked along their field beside me. Oh, it also rained a little. When I got to the store was exhausted. I bought some lunch and considered calling my neighbor to come pick me up. Then I thought about the commitment required to hike 2200 miles and the commitment I made today to walk to the store and back. I set out for home at 4:10 PM. I should mention that the trail/road to the store is downhill most of the way which means the trail home is mostly up hill. Not a bad day all in all. No blisters, bites, scrapes or cuts and not broken bones. Time now for Epsom Salts and the whirlpool bath then some dinner, Alive and bed.

Before I read your posts I already started making a spreadsheet of equipment. Things I included are: Item name, Item Brand, Store/Source, Item Weight, Acquired, Details.

Looks like most of the folks here are from the eastern side. Anyone who wants to come hike in Colorado is welcome to stay with me, at least until I sell my house. I have 4 extra BR. We could get in some nice hikes on the Colorado Trail for practice.

Welcome Lordwilliam
    I admire your dedication. I unfortunately decided to go another route and am nursing bruised ribs. The wife an I were in Damascus this weekend for Trail Days. The restaurant we were headed to was 1/4 mile away. When I said "That's too far to walk" thunk....... I'll live.

Journal Entries

I'm so excited about the trail. I've purchased some equipment so far and the thing I have to keep telling myself is 'watch the weight'. I saw this sleeping bag I really, really, I mean really like. so I bought it. It's supposed to be here tomorrow. It's from (I'm cringing from the expected back lash) Sierra Designs, Backcountry Bed 600. I know it weighs 3lbs 1oz but that's good isn't it? So far it's the only thing I've purchased from the big three. At this point I'm really doubting whether I can make it this year but I'm still planning and purchasing as if it's going to happen. I'm trying to make sure I'm saving for the bills that will have to be paid while I'm gone and that is what may derail it until 2016. But it may work out. I still and in like with the sleeping bag. I've planned for train trip to Springer Mt. and tentative plans for the return trip from Mt. Kitahdin.

Awesome!!! and I completely understand the hardest part is just waiting for the "start" time to arrive. Been planning and prepping my hike since mid-2012. I've put it off for 30 plus years. Kids grown, house is empty and spouse agree's. Do it now and wait no longer. My start time will be first week of April '15. Work has been understanding thus far. Wish you the best on your journey.

Journal Entries

Just finished working a job in NY, where I was able to enjoy some wonderful hikes - look forward to seeing it again next year. In the meantime I just moved to Nellysford VA. Getting settled in this weekend and then I am interested in getting together with anyone from the area for some hiking and possible overnighters over the course of the summer and fall.

Journal Entries

So, down to 8 months before I head to Georgia. The 2015 ATKO is the 6th-8th and I plan to hang out for that, then head to Springer on the morning of the 9th. Still working on getting all my gear together using all the great information I am learning here in WB. Getting some practice hikes in along with some overnighters, both solo and with others.

Looks like a great class is shaping up for 2015. I enjoy reading about everyone's plans and am learning so much from their questions. I am excited to see so many hikers planning to start in early March as well. I can't wait to meet some of you. Hurry up March 2015!!

"I am excited to see so many hikers planning to start in early March as well. I can't wait to meet some of you. Hurry up March 2015!!"

The more the merrier. You all can huddle together and keep warm.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    "I am excited to see so many hikers planning to start in early March as well. I can't wait to meet some of you. Hurry up March 2015!!"

The more the merrier. You all can huddle together and keep warm.

Wayne

I ran into a 2014 thru couple at a restaurant outside Warwick NY last month. They left March 8th. They said it wasn't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    I ran into a 2014 thru couple at a restaurant outside Warwick NY last month. They left March 8th. They said it wasn't that bad.
    Perhaps they were lucky. It can be much worse. Read Trilliam's (spelling?) account in her Trail Journal of some nasty weather.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

That should have been Trillium's 2014 Trail Journal started ~March 1, 2014.

Wayne

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    That should have been Trillium's 2014 Trail Journal started ~March 1, 2014.

Wayne

The Trillium I found started February 23th and from her picture I swear by all I know that I passed her hiking up to Pinwheel Vista outside Venon just off route 94. I passed a hiker by the name of Shakespeake (1 of 2 on the trail this year from what he told me). Stopped him long enough to give him all the Clif bars and trailmix I had left in my pack, wishing I had carried more stuff up with me. Very nice young man. She came up about 20 minutes after him. Seemed very focused so I didn't disturb her. Then past the pasture but before the beginning of the boardwalk area I passed another young man who commented on my dedication because I was hiking with a cast on my arm. It does sound like she ran into some difficulties when her bag and underquilt got wet after her tarp got loose during some cold rain. I am glad that turned out okay for her. Her entries end in NY back in early June. Do you know if she is still on the trail?

Yes, she is the young lady who had a bit of bother early on but kept going. I was close, ~ March 1. Hard to follow exact dates on my phone.

Wayne

Images

I plan on leaving the first week of March as well. One thing about the cold is you can always bring enough clothes with you to stay warm. The heat well thats going to be another story.

The wife & I will also be starting our NOBO the second week of March. We will be leaving our hometown in Indiana (for good), Feb 1st & heading out West for a month long road trip, then headed down to meet you fine folks in March. So pumped to start this journey!

Btw: Nic & Jess be our names....

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++