The planning begins in earnest. Approximately 1 year and 21 days from now (based on when the 2015 ATKO is scheduled) I will be at the arch, pack on my back, ready to start one of greatest adventures of my life! It has long been a secret desire of mine. You know, the kind you keep to yourself for fear that everyone will think you are crazy (I have also heard nuts and insane) So I kept silent and dreamed. Then one day the dream manifested itself right out of my mouth to my youngest daughter "I am going to hike the Appalachian Trail" "sounds like a nice thing to do this weekend" "No, I'm going to hike the whole thing - at one time" "how long is it?" "2176, give or take a few" "mom, you're so crazy!" "That's probably true" And it probably is crazy for someone who has never really hiked more than 12 miles in her entire life much less backpacked. Now I have my backpack ( fitted by the great folks at REI in Richmond) my sleeping bag, and my tent. Next is my stove, trail wear and odds and ends. In the meanwhile I'll read and learn and plan. And ask lots of questions I am sure. Waiting is going to be the hard part....