WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Yep. They have shut down production to shift to their new line of bags this spring. Old bags are great, new bags will be lighter and more expensive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I realize this thread hasn't been touched in a while, but I think it's worth mentioning the liner/bag combo approach. If you stick with a 25-30 degree bag, and add a Sea to Summit Reactor (just one option they offer) Liner, it will make said sleeping bag a 5-10 degree bag for only 50-60 dollars more, and you gain a ton of versatility, and a much more hygienic bag. Essentially, the liner is the sheet to your comforter (bag). You can wash it in any old machine as often as you wish, sleep without it, or only sleep with it, depending on the weather. It's cheaper than dropping the 20 degree in the bag, and generally leads to a more compact set up. As the cost of down continues to rise, this is seemingly a much cheaper way to get the extra warmth needed and still maintain low weight and packability.

Journal Entries

And, apparently I can't tell the difference between join date and posting date. New thread, got it.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I'm a bag man myself at colder temperatures. One word: Western Mountaineering. You won't be disappointed.
    I second this opinion ... you get what you pay for ....
    "the legs feed the wolf gentlemen, the legs feed the wolf" from the movie "Miracle"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    If I could make my sleeping bag selection again, I would spend the extra money and go with the zPacks 20 degree. In my opinion, there are places to economize but trying to do so with sleeping bags isn't the ideal way to go about it.
    This, exactly. I'm of Scottish ancestry and hence (so they say) a real tight-wad by nature, but when it comes to critical gear, I spend the $$$. I made mistakes early in my "gear buying career" by trying to save money, but eventually you realize you should have bought top quality to begin with, assuming you're serious about backpacking, and it sounds like you are. Those zpacks bags look really sweet, though I'm a huge WM fan. I just made my first zpacks purchase (a hexamid solo+ tent) and we'll see how their stuff works out. A double-crown (PCT, AT) buddy of mine just bought this zpacks bag and raves about it; best weight/warmth ratio out there I think, for an adequate sized bag, and not too ridiculous of prices. I'd definitely go with the "wide" though as extra shoulder girth is important IMHO. so 20 deg, wide/long, 19.8 ounces, $420.

hey miller! i'd also recommend checking out top quilts. fire fighters are supposed to be tough, right? no need for that compressed down and zipper.

on a side note... NO WAY you're 52. Easily thought you were late 30's, early 40's. Good for you man!

Journal Entries

Default I know you??

Can't pick up name?? I know you?? You got me wondering?? My brain is hurting. Hey when your 52 your memory starts to go. HIKE ON!!!

Miller

Quote Originally Posted by apd07c View Post
    hey miller! i'd also recommend checking out top quilts. fire fighters are supposed to be tough, right? no need for that compressed down and zipper.

on a side note... NO WAY you're 52. Easily thought you were late 30's, early 40's. Good for you man!

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    Hey when your 52 your memory starts to go.
    Yeah, memory is the second thing to go.....can't remember what the first is.

The only winter bag I have and have ever used is a Marmot Helium (15*). It's pricey but for weight/comfort/durability I absolutely love it.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

I have been really happy with the 10 degree zpacks bag I got this year and and seriously considering getting on of their 40 degree bags this year

I just ordered Marmot Plasma 30 to replace my old Marmot Hydrogen 30. The Plasma is a few ounces lighter. That Hydrogen will likely be posted here for sale shortly after I get a chance to checkout the Plasma after delivery. It will likely become my go-to 3 season bag for the east coast.

Journal Entries
    Images

For years I used a North Face Cats Meow. Now I have several different bags. If I add up all the money, this simple fact rings true. Hike with what you have and enjoy yourself wearing one out, save and get a Western Mountaineer soon as one can. Don't skimp on feet or sleep related items.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++