Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Resupply question - am I crazy?

I am almost apathetic about planning resupply on my PCT hike. My big plan is to send a box to Mt. Laguna and Warner Springs to get rolling and then figure it out as I go. I load up the PCT Planner website and just can't get into it.

I bought 2 of Yogi's guides and am giving one to my wife. I'm thinking if I just plan what's in front of me I can decide at that time whether to call and get her to send me a box or resupply in town or wherever I find myself.

I'm a member of the "2014 PCT Thru Hiker" group on Facebook and it has slap worn me out reading extensive resupply plans. Just not sure if I'm having a reaction to that or know from experience that there is such a thing as too much planning and things work out.

There are some key places where it's hard to fully resupply based on a buy as you go approach. Prime example, is sending a resupply box to KM as you enter the Sierras either mailed from back in TN or some bigger resupply stop - south of there perhaps at some place like Tehachipi/Mojave, Big Bear, etc.

I was planning a resupply box at KM too - forgot to mention that one.

As for Tehachipi and Mojave - I have read about them and both seem like "flip a coin" options, with both being more than adequate. Same with Big Bear - seems like the big decision there would be which Big Bear...

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I bought as I went with some strategic sending of boxes ahead in WA and OR.

You'll be fine with your experience and attitude. Seriously.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Don't worry, the beginning is easy. You could carry out a days worth of food from the border then resupply at both Lake Moreno and Laguna the next day. People, including me, complete overthink the resupply.

Garlic
    Images

My first was at Warner Springs. Mt Laguna seemed so close to the start to stop for a resupply. I believe my next food box after that was KM. I had some gear sent to Aqua Dulce and to Onyx Pass, but it was my first hike and I was still figuring things out.

I did very little planning for the PCT. I wasn't sure how far I could go, so I thought I'd just play it by ear. Certainly anything past KM was just a remotely possible dream, so I didn't plan for it at all.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

People still insist on sending a maildrop to Warner Springs for some reason, although I think a much more comfortable plan is hitch into Julian at mile 77, hitch into Idyllwild at mile 151, and send a box to Ziggy and Bear's at mile 210. You could also skip maildrops altogether at the beginning by grocery shopping in Julian --> Idyllwild via Devil's Slide at 175ish --> Big Bear at 250ish.

Kennedy Meadows is the only place in the first half where you *need* a maildrop. The rest are all down to preference, and since you seem to prefer avoiding maildrops, you really don't need to do them. All the people you see on the facebook group with crazy schedules are probably newbies or people with dietary restrictions, and you know as well as I do that all their careful planning is going to get completely screwed up once they're on the trail.

EDIT: forgot to mention that you're probably thinking, "Why would I go to Julian?" But no one's told you yet about the FREE PIE AND SANDWICHES at Mom's Pies (as of 2013). So you'll probably be in Julian anyway; might as well do some resupply shopping while you're in there.
    Last edited by SCRUB HIKER; 02-12-2014 at 22:26.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

I mailed a box to Mt Laguna and prolly saved having to haul an extra days food wt somewhere at the start but in hindsight it wasn't absolutely necessary. Sorry. You did say that you were tired from all the preaching from the pews. You have the stage. Preach it brother.

Tehachapi is a bit spread out especially if having to get by foot to the PO. Julian is nice, bit touristy though. Nice getting a malt at the old time pharmacy/malt shop/general store.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I mailed a box to Mt Laguna and prolly saved having to haul an extra days food wt somewhere at the start but in hindsight it wasn't absolutely necessary. Sorry. You did say that you were tired from all the preaching from the pews. You have the stage. Preach it brother.
    haha - No, I know you guys and value your thoughts and appreciate them very much.

That was my thinking - just sending a box to Mt Laguna to avoid the carry.

Tehachapi is a bit spread out especially if having to get by foot to the PO. Julian is nice, bit touristy though. Nice getting a malt at the old time pharmacy/malt shop/general store.
    So would you recommend Mojave over Tehachapa?

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    People still insist on sending a maildrop to Warner Springs for some reason, although I think a much more comfortable plan is hitch into Julian at mile 77, hitch into Idyllwild at mile 151, and send a box to Ziggy and Bear's at mile 210. You could also skip maildrops altogether at the beginning by grocery shopping in Julian --> Idyllwild via Devil's Slide at 175ish --> Big Bear at 250ish.
    Looking at the guidebook a few weeks ago I mentally worked my way to Kennedy Meadows with only a drop at Warner Springs. Thanks for this suggestion, I'll definitely consider it.

The bottom line is that resupply isn't going to be a problem at all in the beginning and that's the attitude I have - I just wanted to double check to see if I was just being slack on my planning. I feel confident about this hike.

I can't give a fair analysis of Tehachapi or Mojave because I didn't have to walk all over as I was mainly riding shotgun back and forth between the two towns with Gordon(Nimblewill Nomad's support driver). Gordon was the kind of guy who you just loved listening too because he had experienced so much. i hung on his every word. He always had Walkin Jim Stoltz music going too. loved it.

I would say Tehachapi although perhaps having just a bit more services was a bit more spread out. Either one works. Yogi offers her take on each. you have her PCT town guide.

The new PCT Sierras section resupply paradigm can be shocking for ATers who are accustomed to the frequency and easy short hitch outs to resupply on the AT. Get the Sierras figured out and it gets generally easier from there. One more thing. Consider/don't totally ignore the possible fish camp, campground, YMCA etc resupply supplements locations in Oregon as they can decrease the amt of food wt you have to haul between primary resupply locations. That's Dogwood's UL PCT tip of the day.

I feel confident about this hike.

You should be, not that you should get cocky about it. Normally, I can read between the lines really well. IMHO, your hiking style and where you're at in your hiking is well suited to doing a PCT thru right now. You're going to do fine. It's OK you don't know everything. It's part of the adventure.

I feel confident about this hike.

You should be, not that you should get cocky about it. Normally, I can read between the lines really well. IMHO, your hiking style and where you're at in your hiking is well suited to doing a PCT thru right now. You're going to do fine. It's OK you don't know everything. It's part of the adventure.
    Re-reading my post that's an oddly placed and worded sentence. I was watching Sherlock and talking to my wife at the same time I was posting.

I just meant to convey that I was pretty sure everything would work out ok.

Garlic
    Images

I can't give a fair analysis of Tehachapi or Mojave because I didn't have to walk all over as I was mainly riding shotgun back and forth between the two towns with Gordon (Nimblewill Nomad's support driver). Gordon was the kind of guy who you just loved listening too because he had experienced so much. i hung on his every word. He always had Walkin Jim Stoltz music going too. loved it....
    Hah! Pickle and I met Gordon when we hiked the AZT and Nimblewill was a 1/2 day behind us. Gordon is one of the most interesting people I've met in the last few years.

Garlic - did you see my question in the "Should I go to Canada" thread? I was wanting to confirm if the PNT route I had marked was the same one you were suggesting. If you get a free minute check it out and let me know.

Seemed like Gordon was everywhere when I hiked in 2008, and in fact I walked into Manning Park the same day that NimbleWill did.

Resupply: I sent myself way too many boxes on the PCT. I would send a bear canister pre-packed with food to Kennedy Meadows. If you're willing to plan ahead a bit while on the trail, it makes great sense to once in a while stop in a place with a good grocery store and nearby post office and make up a box or two to mail ahead. So for example, in Ashland, mail ahead a box to the Adventists Youth Camp.

It makes a lot of difference how picky you are, or not. If you can happily resupply from a gas station mini-mart, then you don't need a whole lot of resupply boxes!
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

That was 2008 I was talking about, BrianLe. I saw him several times up and down the PCT. I got something like 4 shuttles from him in 2008 in various locations. I hung out with Gordon keeping him company and trying to stay out of trouble offering him whatever help I could for most of a day shuttling other PCTers all around. Always had cases and cases of Gatorades in the back of the van. I always looked forward to seeing and talking w/ Gordon and Nimblewill Nomad. Good people!

I loved Julian! I think more people should go there. It's a fun little cowboy town, plus it was Cinco de Mayo when I got there so they had an awesome Mexican cookout going on! I wouldn't stay over night though, it's pretty expensive.

As for Tehachapi vs Mojave, I didn't see Mojave but I loved Tehachapi. Yeah it's spread out but I was able to hitchhike to and from the Chinese buffet no problem. If you stay at the Best Western, you are in close walking distance from the Super K-Mart and the movie theater ... with FIVE DOLLAR MOVIES!!!! Did I mention there was a Chinese buffet? And movies for five dollars?? That town was like paradise!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++