WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Brainstorm!!

Default Brainstorm!!

Ok. My wife and I need to get away. We have a newborn babyand a dog. We can get out around April or May. So we are looking for a cabin to rent and stay in as a base camp (hot tub would be nice.) We would like to do long day hikes (8-12 miles ) and then return to the cabin to relax in the evenings. Areas with loop possibilities are what we are thinking. GSMNP and Shenandoah are out b/c of the dog but close to the areas may work. We live in central Ohio and are thinking of areas in VA, WV, TN, NC, or other areas somewhat close to us. Do the areas around Ashevlle or in Pisgah NF have what we are thinking? Any ideas are well appreciated.
    Schnikel

Dogs are allowed in Shenandoah, but must be leashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Dogs are allowed in Shenandoah, but must be leashed.
    And they will allow you to keep a dog in your room or cabin. You just cant leave them unattended. nor can you take them into any of the other buildings,

Check out Hot Springs NC. The AT runs right down Main Street. There are several loop trails nearby, many cabins with hot tubs available in the area and it's an easy drive to the GSMNP and all it has to offer.

Had not thought of Hot Springs. Thats a good idea. Didn't know dogs were allowed in the Shenies so that is cool also. Any other ideas?
    Schnikel

Last edited by rocketsocks; 02-14-2014 at 00:33.

I'd recommend Shenandoah BP because you have several options for shelters/lodging and access to hot food.... and a high probability of seeing wildlife .... May would be when Mt Laurel blooms I think ..April may be a bit early

Congrats on the new baby ...check out your REI store > I just bought my 18 month old grandson his first convertable hiking pants.
    "the legs feed the wolf gentlemen, the legs feed the wolf" from the movie "Miracle"

Lots of loops in areas not too far from Knoxville TN (<2 hrs each way). Big South Fork, Frozen Head, Obed, Fall Creek Falls, Cumberland State Park, Cumberland Falls KY, Daniel Boon NF, Sundquist NF. Some great day hiking options.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

vrbo.com/307647

close to Springer, Woody Gap, BMT, Lake Windfield Scott. Lots of possibilities!
    Last edited by hobby; 02-14-2014 at 23:54.

Check out Hills Creek State Park in northern PA. Dogs are allowed in two of the modern cabins. The park has a beautiful lake and many easy trails. The Mid State Trail passes through the park. Hiking loops can be found at Tioga-Hammond Lake to the north, Sand Run Falls to the south, and many trails along the Pine Creek Gorge to the west. The park is near Wellsboro, a cool town.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...reek/index.htm

Cook Forest State Park is another idea. Tons of trails, old growth forest with some of the tallest white pine trees in the east.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...rest/index.htm

Also check out Willow Bay in the Allegheny Nat Forest, they have cabins. Beautiful area. Tons of loops in Tracy Ridge.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/alleg...6119&actid=101

Tracy Ridge:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5107583.pdf

++ New Posts ++