WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

6lb 8oz for 170

compare that to a

six moon lunar duo is on sale now for 110, 3 1/2 lb

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    6lb 8oz for 170

compare that to a

six moon lunar duo is on sale now for 110, 3 1/2 lb
    That's a great deal!

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/outfitter.html

No, I'm not concerned with protein. I'm concerned with getting enough carbs. It's not possible to be protein deficient if you consume a sufficient amount of carbohydrates.
    ... I love you. Not too many people understand this, it always makes me happy to talk to someone who does. I hope to see you on the trail man! Ill be leaving March 4/5.

Images

I have a Big Agnes Seedhouse UL1 and it's great. Plenty of room in the vestibule for pack and boots.

SWVA 006.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kidben View Post
    I think I’m going to leave the swiss card at home and only take one t shirt. I’ll try to find a trash compactor bag to use as a liner(I have the Osprey 65 which has a divider at the bottom. Should everything be in the trash compactor or should I maybe put the dry sacks of food or clothes under the divider at the bottom of the bag?) I think I'll try out the Solitaire for sure. One of the reviews says "I thru-hiked the 2,655 mile Pacific Crest Trail." (in the $69 tent!) One of the last things I'm wondering about is will the pocket rocket stove workout?
    I would unzip the divider at the very least. Easier to pack stuff & fill every nook & cranny. If it was my pack, I'd cut out the divider. Use the trash compactor bag to keep everything your want dry - clothing, sleeping bag, tent body, etc - inside it. Everything thing else can go outside the compactor bag. My food bag was highly water resistant (supposed to be water proof). I didn't put it in the trash compactor.

You can successfully thru-hike using a $69 tent. I wouldn't. I'd get something lighter & more storm-worthy. It should be noted that some PCT hikers don't have to put up their shelter very often. I read a trail journal of one thru-hiker who only put up his tarp tent 4 or 5 times the entire way (much drier out West). Not so on the AT. As noted above, Big Agnes makes some nice tents - Fly Creek & Copper Spur. I'd look really hard at the Copper Spur UL-1 if I was a new wanna-be thru-hiker. Sweet tent (fyi - I have the Fly Creek UL-2). As it was, I mainly used shelters & occasionally used my tent. Convenient & I enjoyed (for the most part) the novelty of sleeping in shelters. Especially in all the bad weather we had last year.

The Pocket Rocket stove is a popular canister stove that can be purchased at a reasonable price. You should have no problems with it. Note: I used an alcohol stove on my AT hike. If I were to do it again, I'd probably carry a canister stove (I have the PR & two others that are a little lighter than the PR).

Whatever you decide upon, it isn't something that is etched in stone. If it works, great. If it doesn't, swap it out for something that does. Early on, pay attention to what some of the other hikers are using. They'll give you the good, bad, & ugly about what they're carrying.

Wish you luck on your hike. Hope the 2014 class has better weather than we did.

Quote Originally Posted by danielpflood View Post
    ... I love you. Not too many people understand this, it always makes me happy to talk to someone who does. I hope to see you on the trail man! Ill be leaving March 4/5.
    Yes! Thank you. It's hard when your opinion is with the minority of people and no one understands. I'll probably have a slow start but yes, hopefully I'll see you out there too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do you feel like someone attacked you about being vegan? plenty of people understand diet choices man. three weeks after starting, just about the only thing hikers talk about is food. thats the crowd you came to. when the impossible goal is 5000 calories, its all you think about.

you don't own the thread you start, many others will read and possibly benefit from the dialogue, for years to come sometimes. maybe use the straight forward board if you're so focused.

How about a tarptent squall2? Just over two pounds with extra space for gear for $259

http://www.tarptent.com/squall2.html

i'd sell you a tart tent virga (predecessor to the contrail) for a really good price, it is missing its back curved pole but henry would probably hook up with that. its front pole set is a hiking pole its a 1+ size, mean you and gear, with a decent vestibult. i got it modded out with floor and front entry doors. i loved it for years, replaced with a six moon trekker.

it is a single wall tent, with venting along the bottom that can be belayed down to the ground to close up tight, very versatile. but being single wall, there is a bit of a learning curve on how to set it up with the wind. it is not freestanding, but i've never had a problem with that. i haven't used a freestanding in 10+ years

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Get a trash compacter bag to use as a liner. They are much tougher and don't tear as easily as trash bags. (yes, you will need some sort of waterproof liner even with a pack cover).
    Agreed. Also if you want to save weight and don't care about looking good, you can skip the pack cover and the interior trash compactor bag. Instead use only a trash compacter bag on the outside of your pack. I cut two long vertical slits in the bag for arms/pack straps, and hiked through many a rainstorms and drizzles during my 2005 thru with no leaks and almost never had wet gear except when I had to pack up a wet tent, but that wasn't because the method of a trash bag on the outside of my pack failed me....
    Those things are tough too... With proper use and taking care, I only went through 2 of them the whole way. Needless to say I am a big proponent of extremely cheap, extremely dry and reliable, yet ugly looking pack cover solutions!
    The Cheek GA->ME '05

I've been viewing the forums for awhile now but seeing a fellow vegan aspiring thru-hiker finally prompted me to register (I would've done it soon enough) so I could offer some advice. First off, nice choices on the socks. I'm going with the same approach and I like to think it'll work out well. As far as clothing, I'd suggest having a separate set that will be solely for camp use/sleeping in and therefore always dry. I'm sorta in the same boat as you about the hats and balaclava so maybe someone else can provide some insight? For food, tortillas seem like an easy way to get a ton of carbs. Maybe hot sauce for flavoring? I'm bringing mixes of different seasonings to change up the taste of the same old stuff (think Mexican spices, Italian, Indian, etc.). And nutritional yeast!

Quote Originally Posted by joannaxvx View Post
    I've been viewing the forums for awhile now but seeing a fellow vegan aspiring thru-hiker finally prompted me to register (I would've done it soon enough) so I could offer some advice. First off, nice choices on the socks. I'm going with the same approach and I like to think it'll work out well. As far as clothing, I'd suggest having a separate set that will be solely for camp use/sleeping in and therefore always dry. I'm sorta in the same boat as you about the hats and balaclava so maybe someone else can provide some insight? For food, tortillas seem like an easy way to get a ton of carbs. Maybe hot sauce for flavoring? I'm bringing mixes of different seasonings to change up the taste of the same old stuff (think Mexican spices, Italian, Indian, etc.). And nutritional yeast!
    Hi there, I was never vegan but I have spent some time as a vegetarian and I have several friends who are either vegan or vegetarian.

Out of curiosity, what are some examples for meals? Rice and beans probably. Are you going to carry coconut oil? How about dried seaweed?

pack it gourmet has some great vegetarian meals, a little expensive but that are great ideas to play with cooking your own and dehydrating

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    Hi there, I was never vegan but I have spent some time as a vegetarian and I have several friends who are either vegan or vegetarian.

Out of curiosity, what are some examples for meals? Rice and beans probably. Are you going to carry coconut oil? How about dried seaweed?
    Haha yeah rice and beans, quinoa, couscous. Some Tasty Bite meals are vegan and (appropriately) tasty! Tortillas or bagels with peanut butter, maybe hummus. [Oh, that reminds me, to the OP, I was going to suggest PB2 or that other brand of dehydrated peanut butter since they're much lower in fat than regular peanut butter.] I didn't really think about coconut oil but I might look into it now that you mentioned it. The multiple uses are a plus! I was going to carry olive oil. And I unfortunately don't like the aftertaste of dried seaweed.

Haha yeah rice and beans, quinoa, couscous. Some Tasty Bite meals are vegan and (appropriately) tasty! Tortillas or bagels with peanut butter, maybe hummus. [Oh, that reminds me, to the OP, I was going to suggest PB2 or that other brand of dehydrated peanut butter since they're much lower in fat than regular peanut butter.] I didn't really think about coconut oil but I might look into it now that you mentioned it. The multiple uses are a plus! I was going to carry olive oil. And I unfortunately don't like the aftertaste of dried seaweed.
    If you mix pb2 with a hot chocolate mix.... Crazy amazing! Also makes a tasty pancake.

Coconut oil works well with Indian spices.

I read on another thread there's powdered hummus. Which would be super convenient for you.

I read on another thread there's powdered hummus. Which would be super convenient for you.
    fantastic world foods. they make a variety of powdered stuffs. never understood why they don't market to backpackers, maybe ignorance of a market. their tofu scrambler is awesome.

I'd say camp shoes are worth taking on any extended trip, but don't have the practical AT experience to back it up. I do know that on my last trip I had wished for a camp shoe slightly more substantial than flip flops, so if your weight budget allows I'd maybe get something else.

I think the problem with picking a tent is that there are no two reviews the same!!
    I bit the bullet and went with the TarpTent Double Rainbow... I went with the extra weight of the 2man after stuffing my pack full of pillows and walking into my local supplier, than climbing myself inside the only 1man they had, pulling the pack in and zipping myself in.... Pretty sure the staff thought I was mental... But I crawled back out 5 mins later, said thank you politely and went right home to order online. I'm still second guessing myself after having a comfortable night in it!!

For food flavouring options I'd take salsa and tortillas to make lunch burritos (with your beans) and peanut butter can be an alternative flavour for rice that the standard soy plus if you get one of the chunky salsas it's ok with rice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

If you mix pb2 with a hot chocolate mix.... Crazy amazing! Also makes a tasty pancake.

Coconut oil works well with Indian spices.

ooo that does sound amazing! I haven't really sought out a vegan hot chocolate mix though. I'm sure there's some somewhere. And I actually attempted to make my own dehydrated hummus! Well, I dehydrated store-bought hummus. I'm definitely going to look out for the brand that Hill Ape mentioned. Powdered tofu scramble? Sign me up!

ooo that does sound amazing! I haven't really sought out a vegan hot chocolate mix though. I'm sure there's some somewhere. And I actually attempted to make my own dehydrated hummus! Well, I dehydrated store-bought hummus. I'm definitely going to look out for the brand that Hill Ape mentioned. Powdered tofu scramble? Sign me up!
    Buy pure chocolate powder and mix with... almond or coconut milk? How well does almond milk heat? Not well I wouldn't think....

I would dehydrate garbanzo beans by themselves. Powder them via a mixer and then later you could rehydrate with olive oil. And add whatever hummus seasonings you like. Garlic or or onion powder or celery salt.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++