WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Talking Revised Northbound Gear List (V2)

Gear List (Revised V2)

Starting around March 17th.

PackOsprey Atmos 65
    Sea to Summit Pack Cover

Shelter
    Synthetic 20F Sleeping Bag
    Small Inflatable Sleeping Pad
    Compressible Pillow
    Eureka, Solitaire 1 Person Tent

Clothes
    2 pairs injinji sock liners
    2 pairs darn tough Vermont socks (1 thick pair for sleeping, 1 regular pair for hiking)
    New Balance trail runners
    Flip Flops
    ExOfficio briefs
    Thermal bottoms
    Zip off pants
    2 polyester t shirts
    Thermal top
    polar fleece
    synthetic jacket
    rain jacket
    winter cap
    summer cap
    balaclava
    sugoi synthetic gloves
    10L dry sack

Cooking Materials
    Toaks 850ml Titanium Pot
    Toaks Titanium Spork
    Pocket Rocket stove
    lighter
    matches
    1/4 sponge
    10L dry sack
    50ft chord (and small bag)

mini carabiner

Electronics
    iPhone 5 (life proof case, ear bud headphones, and charging cord)
    PowerGen Mobile 12000mAh External Battery Pack (PowerGen charging cord)
    Black Diamond Equipment Storm Headlamp

Accessories
    2014 Northbound The A.T. Guide “Awol"
    Micro Towel (sea to summit)
    90 mL all purpose soap
    90 mL hand sanitizer
    tooth brush (and toothbrush cap)
    mini toothpaste
    nail clipper
    1 pen ( and a few folded pieces of lined paper)
    First Aid Kit (bandaids, moleskins, antiseptic wipes, antiboitic ointment,gauze,small medical tape roll)
    Small spf 50 sunscreen
    2L camel bak blatter
    2, 1L Platypus
    aquamira water treatment
    Pace Maker trekking poles
    vitorinox hiker
    vitorinox swisscard
    prescription sunglasses
    prescription glasses

• I'm thinking my list is getting pretty dialed. I don't have the weight because I'm waiting for my tent, pot, and socks to be delivered. I'm thinking I'll be pretty satisfied with the weight but not certain.
    • I have a 12000 mAh batter pack(5 to 6 full iPhone charges), which is a bit large, but I'm hoping to read some books on my iPhone so I'd like to have enough battery power.
    • I've got a summer cap, a winter cap, and a balaclava. Is this too much? My winter cap is not comfortable to sleep in but the balaclava is.
    • Two t-shirts or one? I've also got a thermal top and polar fleece but will having two t shirts be worth the extra comfort of having a dry one to change into?
    • Pretty excited about the Eureka, Solitaire 1 Person Tent I got for $69 on amazon. It's got some pretty good reviews if you read through them.

• Do I need to have a liner(like a trash bag) on the inside of my pack if I've got a pack cover. It seems very difficult to pack your things inside of the trash bag, inside your pack.
    • Fuel for my Pocket Rocket is not on the list because I can't fly with it. Will I be able to get fuel for it along the entire trail? I've read it's expensive and hard to find. I've also read about people who have completed their thru hike using it.
    • I'm a vegan and I like to eat a low fat diet. Hoping to mail lots of oatmeal,pasta,rice,dried fruit, and sport bars. (I usually eat pasta with pasta sauce and rice with some kind of soy sauce what can I do to flavor it instead?)

Please let me know if there's anything I can improve. Thanks so much!

A vegan? Are you packing Braggs Liquid Amino?

No, I'm not concerned with protein. I'm concerned with getting enough carbs. It's not possible to be protein deficient if you consume a sufficient amount of carbohydrates.

Quote Originally Posted by kidben View Post
    I'm a vegan and I like to eat a low fat diet. Hoping to mail lots of oatmeal,pasta,rice,dried fruit, and sport bars. (I usually eat pasta with pasta sauce and rice with some kind of soy sauce what can I do to flavor it instead?)
    Damn, good luck staying vegan! I work at a vegan bakery/cafe so here's some food items I would take:

Quinoa - Should be your best friend. A perfect protein and some carbohydrates make it a great hiker meal.
    Nuts of Any Kind - Generally full of fats and protein
    Olive Oil - Tastes delicious and has the most calories you can get for the weight. Also full of good fats.
    Thru-Hike NOBO 2014
    Trail Blog

Well... I'm having a hard time with low fat ideas. They seem to have a high water content.

Do you have a dehydrator?

Tbh, I wouldn't worry about staying low fat. Fat is great for satisfying you. Also is weight efficient....

Do you have a fat/carb/protein ratio you're working off of?

How long have you been vegan?

While on the trail do you plan to lose weight or do you want to try and stay as close as you can to the same weight?

Images

Can't say I like the tent. Can't sit up in it, nor is there room for gear. Mixed field reviews.

That's a lot of soap and hand sanitizer to carry around. If you are mailing food anyway why not put a one ounce (not three oz) bottle of each in your food drops?

Get a trash compacter bag to use as a liner. They are much tougher and don't tear as easily as trash bags. (yes, you will need some sort of waterproof liner even with a pack cover).

Interesting sock choices. I just use three pairs - one worn, one washed and drying, one dry. But your system may work. I don't know.

Debatable items: Flip flops, swisscard, two jackets, two t-shirts, pillow. All kind of fit into that "nice to have" category. Some will say take them all, some will say leave them all. Just pointing them out.

I've been a vegan for 4 years and am going strong. I rode my bike 3,000 miles in 31 days to come in 5th of 46,000 competitors in a worldwide challenge. My friend Harley who is also a vegan came in first place.

http://app.strava.com/challenges/cyc...ile-blast-2013

Did you hear about the raw vegan couple in their 60's who ran 366 consecutive marathons around Australia to set a world record?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.1563451

Quinoa is great. I'm hoping to get some lara bars and make a little trail mix. I don't recommend olive oil. Too much fat in your blood block's insulin receptors and in doing so prevents sugar from traveling to your cells effectively. Here's a good video about "is olive oil goo for you" The whole videos good but he starts talking about olive oil at about 3 minutes in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaciUCAT-B8

I'd like to do a 80/10/10 (carbs, fat, protein) ratio but that's hard for me to do. I'll probably have a little more fat than that.

The other tent I was consider is:

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Spitfir...=1+person+tent

The problem is it comes with steel stakes so I would need to buy another set which would cost more than twice as much in total.

I thought flip flops are good choice for camp shoes? Do you think there are no need for camp shoes? Do you think it's good to only bring one jacket? One is insulation the other is a rain jacket? Most people seem to bring 2 jackets. I think a pillow is important for my quality of sleep so I'd like to take a small compressible on and put in my compression sack. Maybe I will only take one t shirt. I don't know.

I wasn't fighting you about it... I was a vegetarian for a while and I never felt better.

I would rethink that ratio.... 60/20/20 seems a lot healthier to me. How do you hit 80% carbs? What's your usual diet?

I don't usually hit 80% carbs but I'd like to. Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as fighting. Just expressing my comments and criticisms. I like to eat a big fruit breakfast if I can. I like to eat a lot of rice and beans and pasta and bread and potatoes and fruits and vegetables.

What's a good tent? Should I choose a different one?

I don't usually hit 80% carbs but I'd like to. Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as fighting. Just expressing my comments and criticisms. I like to eat a big fruit breakfast if I can. I like to eat a lot of rice and beans and pasta and bread and potatoes and fruits and vegetables.
    If you're worried about insulin levels then simple carbs are your enemy.

White rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, and fruits wreck havoc on your body.

Oil and fat is a natural insulin regulator.... It's how humans treated diabetes before we started fabricating insulin.

As a vegan I would try to eat clean and keep the sugars down.

I'm not on this forum to talk nutrition. I'd just like help with my gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btw, starches are complex. Fruit is simple.*

Yes starches are complex fruit is simple. I'd just like help with my gear. Honestly.

Hmm... Okay. I was addressing the last question since it's the only one I could help you with. Lol.

Maybe see a vegan nutritionist before you head off onto the trail. They understand this topic better than you or I. Haha.

Have a good hike.

Thanks! Hopefully it will be great!

What's a good tent? Should I choose a different one?
    When your tent comes in the mail climb into it and imagine spending 150 (appx) nights in it. Use it for a few overnight trips. Make your own decision. Everyone has different comfort level. I carry a two man tent but I like my space.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Is the extra space worth an extra 2 lbs? 1 person tent is about 3 lbs and 2 person tent is about 5 lbs.

and yet, you presented it in your OP, others that are knowledgeable tried to engage you about it, no one was confrontational or judgemental, except maybe you, you twice got worked up about. perhaps you are a little too sensitive about it. just because you started the thread doesn't give you control about what is said. enjoy your hike

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++