WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Seeking Northern Virginia Experienced Thru-Hiker

Would anyone in the Northern VA area be willing to take me "under their wing" to help ensure I am making the right gear choices for my needs and am training appropriately? My SOBO is 2016, so I have plenty of time. I only have day hiking experience and not multi-day yet.

Feel free to mock me, but I believe it is wise to seek knowledge from those who have experience instead of putting myself, other hikers, or SAR at risk for noob mistakes. Many of you are extremely helpful, but I feel face to face talking, hiking, etc will provide me the most benefit.

Will also extend to MD and DC hikers. I am in VA close to DC.

Thanks in advance

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Just ask here, there's plenty of experienced hikers willing to put their 2 cents in.
    Also read the articles and search previous posts. Lots of info here.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Just ask here, there's plenty of experienced hikers willing to put their 2 cents in.
    Also read the articles and search previous posts. Lots of info here.
    Very true Don. I have received good advice in the past. It just gets confusing for me sometimes to see 20 different opinions to one question. I am hoping one source can help streamline the information flow so my brain can process it easier.

WolfCBP,

I thru-hiked in 2011 and am gearing up for the PCT this year. I live out in Centreville and work at Ft. Belvoir just north of you in Woodbridge. Feel free to PM me with your personal e-mail address and we can shoot some ideas back and forth. My time is a bit limited as PCT thru-hiker season draws near.

I'm a light hiker, with a base weight of 12-15lbs depending on the season. I can sure point you toward different strategies and gear choices. So shoot me some messages and I'll see how much I can help.

-Shutter

Quote Originally Posted by WolfCBP View Post
    Very true Don. I have received good advice in the past. It just gets confusing for me sometimes to see 20 different opinions to one question. I am hoping one source can help streamline the information flow so my brain can process it easier.
    Fortunately there are way more than 20 different ways to accomplish this mission. I would not rely on just one. Most people like to bring more of something (socks for me) than others, electronics, whatever. Your best plan is to get a good idea and then go and do a hike long enough to require a re-supply. Only you are going to know what you want extra of and what you can do without.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

go hike the easiest part of the trail in your neck of the woods (SNP) , waysides every 20 miles right on the trail! 100 miles = around 5 days, its got lots of people and its an easy hike

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Happy44 View Post
    go hike the easiest part of the trail in your neck of the woods (SNP) , waysides every 20 miles right on the trail! 100 miles = around 5 days, its got lots of people and its an easy hike
    5 days for a new backpacker that has never done an overnight hike? I don't think so.

To the OP, there is nothing wrong with seeking knowledge. Your confidence will come quick once you get a few nights behind you. Good luck.
    Last edited by bfayer; 02-18-2014 at 14:49.

Actually your approach is sound. Hopefully you and Shutter can get together.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries
    Images

My SOBO is 2016, so I have plenty of time.
    You might also consider several trips to Harpers Ferry during Jun/Jul. Not only will there likely be knowledgeable hikers on staff at the HQ but the NOBOs should be coming through. Pick their brains . . . and learn from their mistakes.

Also consider Trail Days in Damascus this year or next.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

Thank you all. Shutter is sharing a lot of what he knows and I will definitely be picking more of your brains over the next 2 years. I have a lot to learn. Unlike some.....I am willing to learn and ask questions.

Thank you all. Shutter is sharing a lot of what he knows and I will definitely be picking more of your brains over the next 2 years. I have a lot to learn. Unlike some.....I am willing to learn and ask questions.
    Get out and hike! Snickers Gap to Harpers Ferry is an awesome section to start on. Nineteen easy miles and you can finish with a burger and a beer in HF. Set aside a weekend this Spring and get some experience under your belt.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Get out and hike! Snickers Gap to Harpers Ferry is an awesome section to start on. Nineteen easy miles and you can finish with a burger and a beer in HF. Set aside a weekend this Spring and get some experience under your belt.
    I second this recommendation. You can also do Maryland in 3 or 4 days if you take it slow. The terrain is fairly easy with several improved facilities along the way (running water, bathrooms, showers at some) and campgrounds. Hike it south and end in Harper's Ferry as others have mentioned. Really, the best advice I can give is to get some gear together and a short overnight hike just to try the gear out, the fit of it all, what you felt you needed and didn't. Then work your way up to a long weekend and finally a good week long hike with a resupply point in the middle. You will learn so, so much about your likes and dislikes, about your gear, your packing, walking, sleeping, everything else systems. I/we could go on and on. Read some. Hike much. Have fun!
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Fortunately there are way more than 20 different ways to accomplish this mission. I would not rely on just one. Most people like to bring more of something (socks for me) than others, electronics, whatever. Your best plan is to get a good idea and then go and do a hike long enough to require a re-supply. Only you are going to know what you want extra of and what you can do without.
    WolfGBP and I have traded a few e-mails, long e-mails. I started out on the A.T. as many others have, not having backpacked a day in my life. It's the research that I did on WhiteBlaze as well as an REI salesmen (who had done the A.T. and PCT) that made me successful and with a lower pack weight than most. Simply being pointed in certain directions to start is huge.

No one strategy works for everyone, but the philosophy does. New guys don't need to know the difference between 15 and 30 denier nylon and the natural waterproofing abilities of cuban fiber. Or why I hike with 2 pair of socks and 1 pair of ultra warm fluffy socks (take my warm camp socks and war will break out). Or if a hatch door tent is better/worse than a side-loader. Those things are personal preference. What new guys need are simple tricks we all know but take for granted. Simple things I feel are non-negotiable in backpacking. One such thing is keeping everything waterproof. Everything and I do mean god damn everything needs to be in either a ziploc, a drysack, or both if it's your down bag, even with a pack cover. Too many times did I see groups endangering themselves with wet gear. I remember just outside of Fontana damn there were 2 adult and 6 kids drying out their gear over a fire. They had Wal-mart tents with mesh panels. They assumed the mesh panels were waterproof, because, ya know, why would a $30 walmart single wall mesh tent NOT be waterproof? There was a torrential downpour that night and the temp dropped to near freezing; their lives were in danger. I was camped 6 miles away and didn't encounter them until the next morning.

I did something stupid day 2. I thought I was going to be cleaver by putting my camelbak water tube through my tent zipper so I could drink (like a hamster) in the middle of the night without getting out of my sleeping bag. Well, Instead of elevating the mouth piece, I had the mouth piece resting on my tent floor. During the night my neoair had slid over, pinched the mouth piece and let over 1 liter of water dribble into my tent soaking all my clothes and 1/2 my sleeping bag. Dumbass.

It's best to read and get as much knowledge now in February so when Spring hits you're ready to hit the trail.

WolfCBP - If you're interested, when the weather warms a little I'd be happy to hike with you or meet with you. I live in Carroll County, MD and thru-hiked in 2010. If interested, drop me a line with your e-mail address.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    5 days for a new backpacker that has never done an overnight hike? I don't think so.
    With due respect, I actually think 5 planned days in SNP is a great idea; Wolf can bail anytime he wants; cell coverage is good there and plenty of people/waysides (food)/places to bail. Best to start when weather forecast is good; rank beginners can overnight easily in good weather. It's just walking/eating/sleeping/pooping.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    With due respect, I actually think 5 planned days in SNP is a great idea; Wolf can bail anytime he wants; cell coverage is good there and plenty of people/waysides (food)/places to bail. Best to start when weather forecast is good; rank beginners can overnight easily in good weather. It's just walking/eating/sleeping/pooping.
    I totally agree with you, just not the 100 miles in 5 day part. SNP is a great place to start the AT.

100 in 5 days would be a challenge for me at this present time. The most I ever did for a day hike was 17.2 miles. But, I do like the idea of dropping my car off on one end and having a friend drop me off at a starting point. Maybe 60-75 miles in 5 days would be a good learning opportunity. Appreciate it everyone.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    I totally agree with you, just not the 100 miles in 5 day part. SNP is a great place to start the AT.
    Ah, now I get what you were saying, you didn't have the "100 miles" part in your response (but it was in the quote). My bad. Yeah wolf, just do whatever mileage seems right at this point, 12-15 tops to start would be plenty, I forget how far apart the shelters are in SNP, just plan accordingly. I would try to tent camp, though, at least one of the nights to get a feel for that aspect.

Rob, 2017 I am wanting to summit Long's peak. Can I look you up then?

++ New Posts ++