WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    'Does anybody know how strict actual enforcement of this rule is?' That question sounds very similar to "if I knowingly break the rules will I be caught?' I hear machetes are being issued to every Ranger this yr with the order to cut off the male genitalia of every male law breaker. You don't want to know what they are ordered to do to female lawbreakers.
    ... Feeling aggressive tonight?

Images

Dogwood, less coffee perhaps?

why does this topic come up at least every two weeks? jeez people, some of you act like the rangers are naive, and have never seen thru hikers or their tactics. why the constant drive to game the system? i think there needs to be an article on the topic, let lone wolf and dogwood write it, that way the appropriate attitude will be communicated.

get your permits, plan to stay in the reserved shelter space like good little boys and girls. but have a back up plan, only in case the shelter is full. do you really want to put yourself into the situation where the word "enforcement" even comes into play?

if you stay in a donation hostel, pay $20 like good big boys and girls. do some house chores too, like mommy taught you.

there is no free meal, even blue berry pancakes. hike your own hike, and carry your own weight. don't be a leech, contribute.

pack it in, pack it out, and maybe a little extra for good measure. thats giving back. if you know better, do better.

+1 Hill Ape!

Why risk fines? If a person is planning to hike the entire trail, the GSMNP is only going to be 3 or 4 nights of a trip where they could tent for the rest of the 120+ miles. Get off at Gatlinburg, chill out for a night at the Grand Prix, decompress and then carry on your merry way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
    +1 Hill Ape!

Why risk fines? If a person is planning to hike the entire trail, the GSMNP is only going to be 3 or 4 nights of a trip where they could tent for the rest of the 120+ miles. Get off at Gatlinburg, chill out for a night at the Grand Prix, decompress and then carry on your merry way.
    I also agree with Hill Ape, but I want to add that It's not about a thru hiker risking fines, it's about a thru hiker forcing a non thru hiker to risk fines.

If a thru hiker without a reservation does not give up their space to a non thru hiker with a reservation, the non thru hiker is the one that ends up sleeping in the tent, which they are not allowed to do. This puts the non thru hiker with the reservation at risk of getting fined or kicked out of the park.

Some folks may not care if they break the rules and are willing to take the risk of getting fined, that is their decision, but does anyone on here think it's okay to put other folks at risk of getting fined? Especially when the other guy has done their best to follow the rules?

I would hope not.

Interesting how complicated walking a foot path has become.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Interesting how complicated walking a foot path has become.
    C'mon Spring............

The hiking class of 2014 has started in GA. FB is slammed with pics & details of departures for Springer mOuntain. We are stuck here.

The thing is, once you get into the Smokies and it's cold and raining, staying in the shelter suddenly looks much more attractive then being a tent set up over a field of dung.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Just hike with a large group of hikers thru the smokies so that somebody has to tent for lack of space.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    not strict at all
    Nor convoluted at all.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Some folks may not care if they break the rules and are willing to take the risk of getting fined, that is their decision, but does anyone on here think it's okay to put other folks at risk of getting fined? Especially when the other guy has done their best to follow the rules? I would hope not.
    It is amazing how "entitled" some hikers feel, how much they feel that rules are for lesser mortals, indeed.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

It is amazing how "entitled" some hikers feel, how much they feel that rules are for lesser mortals, indeed.

thats been the theme of the weekly "how can i tent at a shelter in the smokies" threads as of late........

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    thats been the theme of the weekly "how can i tent at a shelter in the smokies" threads as of late........
    If it is legally done by long distance hikers, I don't think that is a bad thing. I had a friend who would get to the shelter later on purpose just so he could tent legally.

I don't think that is necessarily entitled or even a loop hole.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I wouldn't mind a shelter but I know others will not appreciate sleeping with me and my hiking buddy, so I asked with the intent of being courteous to others. Thanks Hookoo for making it clearer. Heck I could have spoken to a janitor for all I know when I called
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    'Does anybody know how strict actual enforcement of this rule is?' That question sounds very similar to "if I knowingly break the rules will I be caught?' I hear machetes are being issued to every Ranger this yr with the order to cut off the male genitalia of every male law breaker. You don't want to know what they are ordered to do to female lawbreakers.
    Glad i just tuned in. this oughta get pretty interesting from here on out i imagine. Back to my lurk position now

i think this is a symptom of another phenomena manamana doot doo da doot doo. people that are new to hiking sit around and think about every possible little detail and what if scenario, and try to solve it on their couch. really folks, don't sweat it. so much just simply works itself out on the trail. scrape together a big pile of money. make decent choices on the big ticket gear items. and just go hike. let the trail guide you, not only in how you hike but in how you think about what "problems" you'll face out there. sort of a don't sweat the small stuff approach

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The thing is, once you get into the Smokies and it's cold and raining, staying in the shelter suddenly looks much more attractive then being a tent set up over a field of dung.
    Good point, I prefer my tent, but when it was in the teens with snow and ice, that shelter with a fireplace was a lot more appealing.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yes..these are the rules of the Smokies.

- All thru-hikers must stay in and fill up the shelters before tenting is permitted.
    - Thru-hikers must give up the shelter to small distance hikers.

Its a policy to reduce camping damage to the grounds around shelters.

The easiest thing to is hang back at the shelter, and let other hikers take up the shelter first.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 02-20-2014 at 17:08.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    Glad i just tuned in. this oughta get pretty interesting from here on out i imagine. Back to my lurk position now
    Gee whiz macattack. Next time why don't you just go shoot Archduke Ferdinand or something.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Yes..these are the rules of the Smokies.

- All hikers must stay in and fill up the shelters before tenting is permitted.
    - Thru-hikers must give up the shelter to small distance hikers....
    Just to keep things clear for everyone, "small distance hikers" are never allowed to tent at shelters. I point this out because of your first bullet above, not that it's wrong (it isn't), its just not complete.

If you have a "short distance hiker" reservation and you show up and the shelter is full, you still cannot tent at shelters, either someone leaves the shelter or you are SOL according to the back country rules.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...untry-regs.htm

Please note #7: "Backcountry permit holders may not use tents at shelters."

Also this note: "Backpackers and hikers are expected to follow all park regulations. Failure to do so may result in a fine of up to $5,000 per violation and/or 6 months in jail."

All this adds up to is that thru hikers get the privilege of not needing to reserve shelter or camping space, but they take on the responsibility to ensure they don't take up space that others have reserved. I think that is a fair trade.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++