WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    What does one get for completing such a monumental task as finishing an Appalachian Trail thru hike?

A Super Bowl type ring?
    A call from the president inviting you to the White House?
    How about a tee shirt?
    A gold star next to your name on Whiteblaze?
    Your name on the ATC list? (hardly seems fitting)
    Just knowing you did it is good enough?

Ahh, I thing I know what it is you get. It's that look on someones face when you tell them you hiked the entire Appalachian Trail. Yea, that's what it is. I don't know what that look looks like but maybe I will someday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Free time to read people argue on WB over super important topics. Plus you can now use CAPS whenever you want.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    a lady friend for life

How/where did you meet and when did you know she was something special?

I'm looking forward to the ticker-tape parade down Broadway in NYC... I wonder if my family can ride with me?

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Another day older and deeper in debt...
    Katahdin don't you call me 'cause I can't end,
    I owe my soul to the trail my friend.....
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

A Appreciation for a simple life, and an Understanding of exactly how much hard work goes into the trail.

A badge and certificate of completion, suitable for framing!

Haven't done it, hope to though! However, below is what I want to get out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    Happiness while hiking, and a lot of really good memories afterwards.
    Ken

...It's that look on someones face when you tell them you hiked the entire Appalachian Trail...
    I think that is a prime motivator for many people to do a thru-hike. Sure they are attracted by the "romance" of walking thru the mountains from one end to the other, but the one thing they love is the attention both during the hike when they meet people in towns and when they come across mere mortals on the trail; And they love the bragging rights.

This pride manifests itself in various ways, but one way you can see this pride materialized is when in a resturant and the thru-hiker table is louder than any other group, talking about all their exploits; they want everyone to hear how adventurous they are.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post

Brilliant!

But at least you get to keep the gobstopper.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    How/where did you meet and when did you know she was something special?
    I met her in person. She's a wonderful lady! The friendliest & sweetest lady ever! That was my first impression of her when I first met her, last May, & it hasn't changed.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I met her in person. She's a wonderful lady! The friendliest & sweetest lady ever! That was my first impression of her when I first met her, last May, & it hasn't changed.
    At first I thought this meant I had TWO moms.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I think that is a prime motivator for many people to do a thru-hike. Sure they are attracted by the "romance" of walking thru the mountains from one end to the other, but the one thing they love is the attention both during the hike when they meet people in towns and when they come across mere mortals on the trail; And they love the bragging rights.

This pride manifests itself in various ways, but one way you can see this pride materialized is when in a resturant and the thru-hiker table is louder than any other group, talking about all their exploits; they want everyone to hear how adventurous they are.
    I thought so. It all comes down to bragging rights. Nothing wrong with that.

Do you really get a
    Badge?
    Patch?
    Certificate? Seriously? who gives them to you? do you have to buy your own? I'm serious.

I'm guna need some kind of motivator (keep your eye on the prize) to get me to Katahdin. 386,000 hits on your Trailjournals page like Chin Music has sounds pretty cool. Talk about attention. Congratulations Chin Music on your thru and all those page hits.

Hey, I didn't get my lifetime supply of Wonka Bars and everlasting gobstoppers at Katahdin

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Hey, I didn't get my lifetime supply of Wonka Bars and everlasting gobstoppers at Katahdin
    Wonka brands backed out of the deal once they realized the true quantity of candy that would make for a "lifetime supply" for hikers.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Personal satisfaction and a nifty certificate and a serious addiction that forces me out into the woods every year since adding end-to-end trips of trails all over the country some of them multiple times. Please make it stop....please....ahhhhh.......................... ............
    Everything is in Walking Distance

You get strong legs and strong shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Wonka brands backed out of the deal once they realized the true quantity of candy that would make for a "lifetime supply" of hikers.
    tweaked it for ya...Now that's funny.

I found a wrist watch in Mass, so I'm gonna say you get nice watch. Oh, but then I found the owner and had to give it back.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

I thought so. It all comes down to bragging rights. Nothing wrong with that.

Do you really get a
    Badge?
    Patch?
    Certificate? Seriously? who gives them to you? do you have to buy your own? I'm serious.

I'm guna need some kind of motivator (keep your eye on the prize) to get me to Katahdin. 386,000 hits on your Trailjournals page like Chin Music has sounds pretty cool. Talk about attention. Congratulations Chin Music on your thru and all those page hits.
    dude, you get a certificate AND a patch FREE from the ATC IF you decide to apply for it. I'm not kidding....it really is free. all is takes is 4 -6 months of toting a pack up and down hills from Maine to Georgia or vice versa and a few thousand $ of expendable cash for gear and supplies. I don't know for sure, but I've been told you can take the aforementioned certificate and patch into any restaurant on the east coast, along with a buck and $.50, and get a cup of coffee. providing it's not a starbucks or one of those kind of upscale coffee joints. P.s. I think the folks up there at ATC are really nice so they send a patch to anyone who applies so you can skip the whole thru hike thing if you don't like hiking or backpacking or stuff like that and still get the same swag.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++