WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default considering building a shelter, your thoughs on design,location,liability and so on..

hello everyone,
    For a long time now, i guess about the 18 years we've been here, I've had the notion to build a shelter for the hikers that pass by my property. My family and I live about as close as one can live to the trail and have often thought about being more involved with it. I was thinking about ideas for a shelter's design and related concerns. If you, the hiker, could have an input as to how a shelter is located,designed,constructed,positioned and so on what would they be? Also are there any unforeseen issues with a shelter on private land along the AT? Would i be getting into something I'd come to regret? Can I control who uses it? Will it become a party spot for the locals and be trash all the time? I'm located north of the Roan Highlands section of the trail across US19E, about a 20-25 min hike I'm guessing. Is this a good location for a shelter or will it just be passed by due to the distance from other shelters? Can I blue blaze the spot one would turn off the main trail? Should i put it as close as i can to the trail or further away to better monitor it. The further away location has a well,power and a great view does this matter? Another spot I have is more level and has a bigger area for camping, things to consider. I also have a place where people could park about 5 min hike to the trail, is this a good idea? Would I be inviting trouble in the form of some type of liability either from personal injury or property damage? Can I have a "disclaimer" sign to avoid such liabilities that will hold up in court? I'll post more questions and concerns as they come to me. Your thoughts please, thanks

Images

I applaud your intentions! May they work out well for all concerned. Are you familiar with the "Secret Shelter" in New Jersey? A past thru-hiker (name of Murray) did just what you are thinking of. I stayed there last October, in fact.

I'd recommend you get in touch with him and ask for advice. Two things he provides that I really appreciated are (1) electricity, and (2) a warm shower, albeit outdoor on the side of a building.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

You need to talk to a local lawyer.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    You need to talk to a local lawyer.
    And your insurance agent.

Images

I applaud your interest in this too

Other than the obvious issues with liability and maybe a small minority of folks that would abuse and tear up the place. I would be concerned about the long term effects on property rights.

When I lived in southern VA, there was a guy that owned property on a river, he let folks drive down to the river and launch their boats, did it for years as I understand it. A new owner bought the place and put up a gate. The folks with the boats were not happy and it went to court, the judge ruled that the drive way and boat launch were a "public easement" even though it was not on the deed. Would that apply to your situation? I have no idea, but I do think you should talk to a local lawyer about it.

Good luck with your project.
    Last edited by bfayer; 02-20-2014 at 12:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I applaud your intentions! May they work out well for all concerned. Are you familiar with the "Secret Shelter" in New Jersey? A past thru-hiker (name of Murray) did just what you are thinking of. I stayed there last October, in fact.

I'd recommend you get in touch with him and ask for advice. Two things he provides that I really appreciated are (1) electricity, and (2) a warm shower, albeit outdoor on the side of a building.

Rain Man

As much as i hate talking to lawyers i sorta figured as much. As to power and a hot shower, the previous land owner installed power,a well and sewer system for a camper he had up there so it's doable on the further away site. Would just be an issue of sustain cost. The shelter cost is more of a one time thing, with some minor maintenance over time. I'm looking at energy cost for a hot water now, looks like $30 - $50 a month depending on wattage and price for kilowatt hour. If it were to become a popular place i'd bet donation would cover most of it. Now in the summer I could have a big water barrel with a float valve sitting in the sunshine up hill from the shelter or over a shower stall. Supply it with a water hose also in the sunshine, letting mother nature help where she can. Would be interesting :-)

not a good idea. between 19E and Dennis Cove rd. there are 4 hostels

it's interesting you bring up this point, back in end of 1999 we had to sell an easement to the USFS for the trail itself. About 13 acres are now under this easement, we still own the land but it now has restrictions on it's future usage, mainly relating to the development of housing/structures as well as other stuff like open face mining and junk yards, stuff of this nature.

where are these hostels? how close to the trail are they?

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you're planning on being a onsite caretaker (i.e. hall monitor), I think it's a wonderful idea. If not, I'd fear you'd learn the true meaning of "no good deed goes unpunished" in terms of liability.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

OK i know of one near Dennis cove and one on 19E, where are the other 2?

Images

The other thing I was thinking is "How close to a public road is this" In my experience the "abuse factor" goes up in direct proportion to the distance from public road access. I don't think your intent is to create a local hangout for bored high school kids, but if you are close to road access...

Quote Originally Posted by sequor pars vicinus View Post
    where are these hostels? how close to the trail are they?
    Mtn. Harbor, Abby's Place, Kincora and the other one on dennis cove rd.

wheres abby's place?

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    The other thing I was thinking is "How close to a public road is this" In my experience the "abuse factor" goes up in direct proportion to the distance from public road access. I don't think your intent is to create a local hangout for bored high school kids, but if you are close to road access...
    it can be a good ways from a public road with little to no access via car, only really by good 4WD or ATV on a private road,

wheres abby's place?
    somewhere between 19E and Dennis Cove

Images

I wouldn't go that far. What about some other options other than a shelter. I don't think the shower is a bad idea if you have the time to maintain it, not everybody stops at hostels and a hot shower would probably be welcome if it's not far off the trial.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. What about some other options other than a shelter. I don't think the shower is a bad idea if you have the time to maintain it, not everybody stops at hostels and a hot shower would probably be welcome if it's not far off the trial.
    could start with a barrel shower and camp sites easily

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++