WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recommended sections of the trail

Can you recommend a single section of the AT to hike + tent for a 5-6 week period (mid September- end of October)?
    Alternatively, can you recommend a couple (3-4) of smaller sections of the trail for one-two weeks of hiking (each) - to give a "better taste" of the AT?

As I'm coming from abroad, my starting point in the US will be New York, and from there I'll join the trail by public transportation.

Thanks,
    Ariel

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Can you recommend a single section of the AT to hike + tent for a 5-6 week period (mid September- end of October)?
    Yes, in one word - Maine! http://www.matc.org/
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

At that time of year and for that distance you could either start at Katahdin and hike south through the end of October, which would be beautiful but crowded as you "swim upstream" against the flow of northbound thru-hikers.

Fully relying on public transportation means that you will have to take 1-3 days in between each section. Another option might be take Amtrak from NYC to DC to Harpers Ferry and start hiking south through Virginia and into North Carolina/Tennessee. You would be hiking through the peak fall colors when there are few people out on the Trail during the week.

In 6 weeks you should be able to make it to Erwin, Tennesse, from where you should be able to arrange some sort of transportation back to NYC.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Start in Hanover, New Hampshire and hike north. Or start in Gorham, NH and hike north. Either way you can't miss.

Default An Alternative

You might also try the southern trail, from Damascus to Fontana, or Erwin even to Springer. The timing puts you in peak fall color season, with considerably warmer temps, and little risk of snow. Of course, it's a little bit more of a 'public transportation" challenge, but hey, NYC to Hanover is probably 5-6 hours. That will get you a long way to the south as well.
    In training for the Chappaquiddick Triathlon "Drink - Drive - Swim"

5-6 weeks late Sept to October. Sounds like a win-win proposition to me. You can't miss.

Hmmmm...coming from NYC. I think I'd also catch a bus to Hanover, then hike to Katahdin. It's a beautiful section, there will be section hikers, thru-hikers, moose, loons, fall colors and maybe some early snow flakes.

For that "better taste" of the AT, I'd still do Maine, then head South. Do a small bit the "rocks" of Pennsylvannia south of Deleware Water Gap. By then, maybe it won't be so hot and dry in the southern highlands. Head for NC/Tenn and include the Smokies.

On second thought, don't do the "rocks".
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"] [I]"Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes."
    (Forrest Gump; Greenbow, Alabama)[/I] [/COLOR]

My favorite sections/states were New Jersey and Virginia. Both are beautiful and relatively easy walking. Lots of road crossings and hostels too, making it easy to get on and off the trail. Of course, I didn't make it past Mass. so perhaps my advice is not the best
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

Yellow Jacket
    Images

I'll second the Hanover hiking North suggestion. You'll be with other NOBOs so they will be able to help you out with trail logistics that you might not have prepared for and general trail info. You probably won't be able to keep up with a particular group, but you'll meet new folks everyday as they pass. And you'll run into folks that did flips 'cause they drank too much in the south.

When planning town stops, mail drops, etc. don't expect to do more than 10 miles per day. As the terrain is a bit tough (steep and very rocky) in NE. But the views are excellent. The weather can be cool that time of year. Bring gear for 20F, though "normal" lows are probably much higher (40F?). Bugs are almost non-existent and rain is a bit less likely (though does still occur, when hurricane leftovers work their way north).

I believe you can take a bus (Greyhound) from NYC to Hanover. Probably a 6-10 hour bus ride. By the time you finish your hike you will "know" how to get a ride back to NYC for the return trip.
    Last edited by tlbj6142; 09-11-2005 at 17:03.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

hi hey

start in Conn. head north enjoy the fall foliage for a week or two then head into the white mountains and do the presidential traverse to complete your trip
    safe adventures
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Alternatively, can you recommend a couple (3-4) of smaller sections of the trail for one-two weeks of hiking (each) - to give a "better taste" of the AT?

As I'm coming from abroad, my starting point in the US will be New York, and from there I'll join the trail by public transportation.

Thanks,
    Ariel

Images

Since you'll be in New York take a bus ride up to Harriman State Park where there are any number of other trails that will lead you to the AT. Then head north or south, your choice.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Default Do you LIKE winter weather?

Depends on how much you like, or can tolerate, cold and possibly wintry weather. Hiking north from Hanover or Gorham into late October--you could see winter-like conditions in a few places. Whether you actually do or not, you would be well advised to at least pack for the possibility. But I'll agree with other comments here that the scenery is spectacular.

But if you can get from NYC down to DC via Amtrak (trains every hour or so--about the only place in the USA that has frequent rail service like that), then take either Amtrak or a MARC commuter train to Harpers Ferry, you could hike southbound on the AT with better results--at least from the perspective of someone who avoids camping in Deep Winter.

Hiking southbound from HF, the first few days would be in lower elevation with lots of road crossings in case you need to tweak gear, or for other reasons leave the trail for a day or so. Then you'd climb up into Shenandoah National Park and stay in the mountains most of the way from there. The scenery is also not bad once you're in the mountains, and a few places also qualify as "spectacular." You'd hit Prime Time for leaf color change in October, and most years it doesn't get winter-like until November or beyond (tho be prepared for some cold rain the later it gets).

++ New Posts ++