WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: precious items

Default precious items

What luxury item / precious item did you /will you bring with you ?
    Did someone really carry a tuba with him?
    I'll probably bring a penny whistle and sheet music, the squeeze box is too big and can't get wet.

I would seriously consider leaving any extra items at home and then once you get your trail legs and have gotten rid of stuff you thought essential then have the item sent to you. Mountain Crossings sends tons of essential gear home every year that folks quickly found out were none essential. Unfortunately the ridge runner also gets to collect some also (not by choice).

My dog. Lol

Arturo Fuente cigars and 15-yr-old El Dorado rum.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

the loud crinkly Neo Air I hope to get for $10 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I would seriously consider leaving any extra items at home and then once you get your trail legs and have gotten rid of stuff you thought essential then have the item sent to you. Mountain Crossings sends tons of essential gear home every year that folks quickly found out were none essential. Unfortunately the ridge runner also gets to collect some also (not by choice).
    This is great advice. The 30 miles to Neel's Gap is a circus side show of random crap from people that didn't do research. Allow yourself 1 personal luxury item of about 8oz or so and you're good. If you want something else, wait until you're at least in NC. In 2011 some guy brought Cello. I mean c'mon.

My personal item was a Kindle. I love to read and laying down at the end of the day and knocking back a chapter or two was one of the greatest pleasures of the trail.

I also hiked out Whiskey whenever I could find a 500ml or 750ml. Shot of whiskey or 4 at the end of the day was/is a great pleasure.

Images

Yes, Super Scott the Tuba Man really did thru-hike with his Tuba. He's also taken it on a 4000 mile cross country bike ride, run the Boston Marathon with it, and probably most other places. http://www.bronxmall.com/norwoodnews...1215page1.html

Pocket am/fm/wx radio. Ipod nano. A little extra toilet paper. Radio for news and weather and maybe late night talk shows. Ipod nano for hard rock. Toilet paper for...well you know.
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
    This is great advice. The 30 miles to Neel's Gap is a circus side show of random crap from people that didn't do research. Allow yourself 1 personal luxury item of about 8oz or so and you're good. If you want something else, wait until you're at least in NC. In 2011 some guy brought Cello. I mean c'mon.

My personal item was a Kindle. I love to read and laying down at the end of the day and knocking back a chapter or two was one of the greatest pleasures of the trail.

I also hiked out Whiskey whenever I could find a 500ml or 750ml. Shot of whiskey or 4 at the end of the day was/is a great pleasure.
    Yup a cello. And for him, I am sure its his most precious item. For some folks its more than worth it. I know that if I seriously concidered a thru, that I would most certainly pack my 2pound hammer and stop at and check out forges along the way.

igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries

Where is the photo of the Cello getting played on top of Mt Washington and Katahdin?

I admit, I carry TP. Recently learned on this very forum that this is a luxury (read; extra weight) item.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    I admit, I carry TP. Recently learned on this very forum that this is a luxury (read; extra weight) item.
    But somehow the hammock was not... Aside from TP I like bringing coffee.

Images

if somebody wrote a book compiled of interviews of hikers 1 mile before neel gap (or blood mountain) about this kind of stuff i would read it. like what they will send back, what they learned, who gave them bad advice, etc.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries

TP isnt really a luxury, and the amount you need if sparingly between towns or resupplies is really small.
    Bringing whole rolls is sort of foolish, you dont need that much.

But I recall Minnesota Smith was reported to carry like 5 rolls at a times, used 1 roll a day, so obviously everyones different.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    TP isnt really a luxury, and the amount you need if sparingly between towns or resupplies is really small.
    Bringing whole rolls is sort of foolish, you dont need that much.

But I recall Minnesota Smith was reported to carry like 5 rolls at a times, used 1 roll a day, so obviously everyones different.
    I suspect he was just being obstinate and did it just because folks on here told him it was stupid.

Me, if I did a thru, mine would be my kindle, and maybe a full roll of TP, just because some folks on here would call it stupid

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    I suspect he was just being obstinate and did it just because folks on here told him it was stupid.

Me, if I did a thru, mine would be my kindle, and maybe a full roll of TP, just because some folks on here would call it stupid
    do take the TP AND the Kindle. You can't rip pages out of a Kindle
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

The only thing of value I carried were the family jewels....and they weren't worth much.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    What luxury item / precious item did you /will you bring with you ?
    Did someone really carry a tuba with him?
    I'll probably bring a penny whistle and sheet music, the squeeze box is too big and can't get wet.
    everything i ever take in the woods is a want/need. no luxuries

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Yes, Super Scott the Tuba Man really did thru-hike with his Tuba. He's also taken it on a 4000 mile cross country bike ride, run the Boston Marathon with it, and probably most other places. http://www.bronxmall.com/norwoodnews...1215page1.html

I met him in VT. He was SOBO and my wife and I were doing Magic. He played us a concert of tuba music. Fun guy but crackers for sure.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++