Default Backpacking and pregnancy...

Hello all.
    Most people don't mix backpacking with pregnancy, but with a little common sense (and my doctor's approval) we are going on a quick overnight into GSMNP. My husband will carry the majority of our gear, leaving me with just a Camelbak, and a camera. But thinking about it made me wonder if there are any others with experience in this area? GSMNP is one of our favorite places to backpack, and I'm hoping to get in a few trips before I'm too large to hike! LOL.

Happy Hiking!
    Sweetgreen

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I went white-water rafting on the Penobscot in ME while pregnant. Of course I was only a "little" pregnant (but since pregnancy is a binary state, I don't suppose that matters.) The only trouble I had was getting the wetsuit on.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

My aunt continued on running 6 miles a day through most of her pregnancies. Only stopping the last month or so.

Images

Just don't be upset later in life when this in utero experience causes this child to want to drop out of college to thru-hike.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I went white-water rafting on the Penobscot in ME while pregnant. Of course I was only a "little" pregnant (but since pregnancy is a binary state, I don't suppose that matters.) The only trouble I had was getting the wetsuit on.
    What's a "Little Pregnant"?
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DeerPath View Post
    What's a "Little Pregnant"?
    Like I said...a binary state: you are or you aren't. However, during the first trimester there is little threat to a fetus though this sort of "jostling" activity.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Just don't be upset later in life when this in utero experience causes this child to want to drop out of college to thru-hike.
    That will be perfectly fine with us! We'll probably join him or her! haha. We were already trying to figure out when next summer we could start doing overnight trips with the baby! So many people have told me that we would have to give up our backpacking hobby until the kid was much older...but apparently they don't understand the attraction to the AT! (Or in the backcountry.)

I'm pondering on why he said "drop out". Phrasing like that has other ... implications (? )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    I'm pondering on why he said "drop out". Phrasing like that has other ... implications (? )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I think he meant drop out of school. But I guess the baby could come out ready to hike!

I was 8 minutes away from having the deliver our second child, ain't no way I'd be hiking with a pregnant lady, delivering a baby isn't on my bucket list.

Section Hiker

I suggest wearing heart rate monitor/watch and keeping an eye on it on the up-hills. Your doc may recommend that anyway.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I was 8 minutes away from having the deliver our second child, ain't no way I'd be hiking with a pregnant lady, delivering a baby isn't on my bucket list.

Sort of being a receiver on a football team, the view is obscure and the potential to deliver is awesome - oh it is so about making a major change in your life-you need to be there for your partner.

Part about being married is emotional support - and physical. Yes I could deliver, it is part of my training as a Life guard. Honest I don't have a take on this, but if you jostle the baby in the first few months you can loose the baby.. saw that with my mom and my wife. I won't tell what they did, but at the time it was well, obvious. In this realm this isn't about guidance. Stuff happens - have a plan.

honest I had some ansk here about posting.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Good for you!!

I am a OB nurse, and wish more of my patients would stay active during pregnancy. The biggest concerns are hypotension (due to dehydration), hypoglycemia (easily remedied with frequent snacks), and tachycardia (the pregnant person already has an elevated heart rate due to the increased cardiovascular demands of pregnancy).

Just drink lots of water and take it easy on the uphills or on hot days. If you feel your heart racing, it probably is

The worst that may happen is syncope (passing out). We live near the beach and have lots of this kind of stuff in the summer from hugely pregnant women baking in the sun and not drinking water all day. Fixed pretty easily enough with lots of hydration!

Of course, pregnant women are notoriously clumsy, so watch your step!

Have fun!!
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I remember (can it be twenty years ago?) dancing, quite entusiastically, with my very pregnant wife at a party. A solicitous grandma who was at our table said to her, "do you really think it's a good idea to be doing that in your condition?" Her doctor was at the same table and replied, "Well, I'm her OB and I think it's a fine idea!"

So ask your OB. Most of them recommend carrying on any activities that you'd normally do until very close to term. Of course, you might have some unusual concern or other, so ask, but you're likely to get a green light.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Not sure if its true or not but some pregnant women are s less stable on her feet than one who is not pregnant. Walking hiking on flat land is much differant than climbing steep hills with rocks and roots and grimlens helping stub your toe and throwing for a face plant. If you were my wife I would encourage a change of venue.The trail is going nowhere

I met a trail angel on the AZT last year who told me that he's met a six months pregnant lady and her husband hiking the trail. He was carrying about 40-50 pounds of water everywhere because he was so worried about her getting dehydrated, but they were 300 miles in! They did eventually stop but they made it farther than some non-pregnant hikers do. Have fun on your hike & congratulations on the baby too.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

My wife backpacked while pregnant. 3 kids later and no issues. The human body adapts amazingly to whatever you put it through.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I hiked during my last two kids - to a point. I hit second Tri in each and got severely anemic - and even climbing stairs wore me out. But honestly, there is rarely anything bad in hiking when pregnant if you are healthy! Hiking isn't going to jostle the baby and cause a miscarriage - unless there is already an existing condition!
    The blunt truth is this: if you have unexplained bleeding, a short cervix or a history of lady problems, then most likely your OB will advise you to rest. With my second son I had unexplained bleeding at 18 or so weeks, but the baby was fine. I listened to my Dr and rested most of the pregnancy though, after.
    Just don't carry a heavy load, stay hydrated, rest often, avoid over stressing yourself but get outside! It is good for the soul

And realize you can get out after having the baby Those first few years are actually pretty easy if you only have one child!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Back in 1987 or 1988 there was a woman who hiked the entire AT while Pregnant. I never met her but remember hearing the stories.

I'm not sure if this helps but for a couple of years, I use to teach Pregnant Physical Training for the Army. Along with other exercises, part of the program involve letting women walking at their own pace and distance for 30 - 60 minutes. The program was designed to help women when given birth and return to back to duty safely. One of the most important part of my job was to make sure the women did not over due it. If baby is not getting enough air because the woman was pushes herself to hard (breathing hard), it can hurt the baby. It is a balance that you have to find a happy medium.

I hope this helps and Congratulations!

Wolf

I not an expert but if you take your time

I guy I used to work with hiked the trail back in the 70's. His wife was pregnant the entire way. They were mentioned in a book years later about women who hiked the trail. Oh, they named their daughter Georgia Maine.

++ New Posts ++