WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: To walk alone

I don't consider myself an introvert but I'm not exactly outgoing either. I doubt the trail will "cure" anything but I do find folks on the trail for the most part much easier to warm up to and develop a relationship quickly. My take away from the trail is memories of the folks I shared time with...met a lot of good people out there, all ages and sex...a few dogs also, and I do mean literally dogs.

I'd suggest you do a bit more research. For example... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJWA2MARNxk
    Interesting perspective.

And with the exception of nature, just think how quiet you camp will be!
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Might want to read what Tyler Tervooren says about this. I liked what he said. Your results may vary.

http://riskology.co/alone/

I like the link Dogwood.

As as far as I'm concerned, if you're shy or introverted you have two choices, either embrace it, or work hard to force yourself to interact with people. It is possible to move on the spectrum of introvert to extrovert. You might never get all the way to the other extreme, but if you work hard you can change by degrees.

Professionally i I have been challenged in the past by bosses to be more social, especially with clients. I've worked hard, and l am a lot better than I was a decade ago, but it's still a daily challenge for me.

Personally, aside from my wife, I generally prefer to be alone. I've enjoyed going to movies/dinner alone for many years, and I greatly prefer backpacking alone. I find I feel MUCH more lonely in a large group than I do when I'm actually alone.

Do I need to weigh in on this subject........?
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

If you liked that try this, same site. http://riskology.co/conversation/

Don't worry about it! After hiking and talking to yourself for 8 hours everyday, you'll want to talk to all the other hikers at the end of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Do I need to weigh in on this subject........?
    Thanks for my best chuckle of the day!

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Wow, some really good links.

skinnbones, since it appears we may be trail mates next year let me share this. I'm the person who looks for the campsite away from everyone. I could hike beside someone for hours without feeling the need to talk to them unless it was really required. Not because I dislike conversation but because I don't feel the need to fill the silence with sound. I can't tell you how many times I have had people comment in astonishment " you camping alone?" "Yes, I'm a female out in the woods camping alone". I won't worry what people think if you won't and I promise not to think you strange if you won't think me so :-) Hope to see you out there!
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

When I'm alone, I prefer to be by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by wnderer View Post
    We should avoid one another because when I am by myself, it is on purpose, and I prefer, at that time, being alone too.

Quote Originally Posted by wnderer View Post
    Now I want whiskey.

I test out on the extreme end of introversion. A lot of hiker friends might be surprised though, because when I am on the trail, doing what I love, the shyness that is a part of me, and the reclusive hermit part of me don't get much expression. I can and will talk your ear off about the trail. I am happy to meet all sorts of people and interact with them. I am in a situation I am not the complete misfit I am ordinarily. At the same time, I have a lot of quiet alone time to recharge my energy. To me, it's the best of both worlds. A community where I belong, and time alone to enjoy the beauty of nature.

I remember one hiker I met who always stayed quietly on the sidelines, watching the other hikers but not participating in the discussions. It looked like he was having a miserable hike. Yet he told me, "I've never been as happy in my life." That was me.

Images

Doing solo hikes just reinforces the confidence in being alone with my thoughts. I like talking to people, but I'm ok with talking to that voice in my head... except when it starts to nag
    Simple is good.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    Does thru hiking the AT trail cure introversion?
    Only thing it cures .......are your feet!!

They'll be tough as 'ol boots by the time you get through Virginia!

Is there a name for people who absolutely have-to-have a few hours a day alone but are not introverts? I definitely am not an introvert but I absolutely have to have an hour or two alone every day or I get dysfunctional. Likewise, I mostly hike alone but after not seeing anyone for a day or two I'll go to town, even if I don't need anything, just to re-emerse myself with others. I really don't even need to talk with anyone (though I like to talk and listen) I just need some eye contact. Is there a scientific/psychological name for that?
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Quote Originally Posted by Julio Garcia View Post
    Don't worry about it! After hiking and talking to yourself for 8 hours everyday, you'll want to talk to all the other hikers at the end of the day!
    But I never listen.

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    Is there a name for people who absolutely have-to-have a few hours a day alone but are not introverts? I definitely am not an introvert but I absolutely have to have an hour or two alone every day or I get dysfunctional. Likewise, I mostly hike alone but after not seeing anyone for a day or two I'll go to town, even if I don't need anything, just to re-emerse myself with others. I really don't even need to talk with anyone (though I like to talk and listen) I just need some eye contact. Is there a scientific/psychological name for that?
    You sound like you know that you are more extrovert than introvert but no one is pure. I like to have alone times away from people too even though I "recharge" by being with people. (I'm an extrovert)

‘There is no such thing as a pure extrovert or a pure introvert. Such a man would be in the lunatic asylum.’”

Also, I love this. We all have "pieces & parts" of most PD's (personality disorders) The only way that one can be diagnosed with a PD, is if one particular type of disorder is "well represented" in our personality. It's great!

There's no such thing as "normal"- it's only a setting on a dryer.

People commonly confuse introversion with shyness. Extroverts can be the quietest one in a room and introverts might be the chattiest. They are not the same thing.

Introverts need their "alone" time to recharge their batteries. Extraverts recharge in social environments. Nothing "wrong" with either method of recharging to be their best.

Perhaps the question might have been, "Does thru hiking the AT trail help make one more comfortable in social settings?".

I used to think I was an introvert. Turns out I just don't like most people.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++