WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by apd07c View Post
    Are you implying one choice is better than the other? I don't understand the perceived negativity about choosing your own trail name. Most people don't get to choose their birth name. Why not use this opportunity to pick something you actually want to be called? Because some other people think that you shouldn't? Forget that. Do what makes you happy out there. I've never heard someone say that a trail name is illegitimate because an 18 year old section hiker, you just met, gave it to you. But I have heard several times, "you gave yourself that name? That doesn't count." It seems one faction prefers you do it the way they did. And the other doesn't give 2 mountain house dumps about how you got your name. Just be happy in your own decision.
    I wasn't trying to hit a nerve with that post. The guy's point was that the macho names are almost always self given, simple as that. My personal opinion is that you should do what you want, just try to be a bit original and don't name yourself Gandolf.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I wasn't trying to hit a nerve with that post. The guy's point was that the macho names are almost always self given, simple as that. My personal opinion is that you should do what you want, just try to be a bit original and don't name yourself Gandolf.
    I heard Tarlin on a podcast discussing trail names which was hilarious. He was talking about the LOTR trail names and one day he met a (yet another) Gandolf. But not just any Gandolf. Dudes name was Gandolf17.

Much funnier when Tarlin said it than when I typed it.

Images

I was planning on going with Doc because it's the military nickname given to all hospital corpsman that serve with the marines and what I was called for 5 years, but since it's a popular one on the AT I'm rethinking it.

In addition to several already mentioned:
    Badger
    Snot Rocket
    Last edited by map man; 02-23-2014 at 15:22.

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    so many lone wolf's out there , Bigfoot and striders too.
    Gleaning the 1800 plus membership in ALDHA there's one Lone Wolf (not the one here) one Bigfoot and two Striders.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    But not just any Gandolf. Dudes name was Gandolf17.
    Jack mentioned this the other day . . . when another hobbit was expected at Kincora . . . and speaking of Dudes . . . .

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

norovirus awareness

Images

I have met at least 6 "Wild Bills" in my travels

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I heard Tarlin on a podcast discussing trail names which was hilarious. He was talking about the LOTR trail names and one day he met a (yet another) Gandolf. But not just any Gandolf. Dudes name was Gandolf17.

Much funnier when Tarlin said it than when I typed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

... but I thought "xXx Gandolf420blazeit xXx" would look soo cool in the logs =( I guess I'll have I think of a new one.

Anything with bear, goat, or man in it.

I think the "bear" trail names have gone away but in 2008 there seemed to be a lot of trail names with "bear" in it. Bear bait, Bear Bag etc....

One of my favs was a guy from New York, his trail name was- NY minute.

Among my favorite trail names: The Breadless Horseman (celiac guy), The Dogfather, and Paul with Bunions.

******socks
    Socks****
    or any variation there of, and no "Rockets" either, it's been done to death. O'coarse if your names already have these, your grandfathered in...just sayin.

any astronomical sign.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 02-23-2014 at 15:58.

Images

Anyone come across a "hydrate" on the trail?
    Simple is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    Anyone come across a "hydrate" on the trail?
    I think he changed his name to "Dusty"

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Among my favorite trail names: The Breadless Horseman (celiac guy), The Dogfather, and Paul with Bunions.

Another fave was Buns & Roses.

Wanderer. You end up having to spell it funny.

Journal Entries

Is there any way of finding out what are the most popular trail names. For me I know there was no other Starchild on my thru, though there were 2 'Starman' (who quickly denied any relationship to what I assume was a attempt not to pay child support).

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I think the "bear" trail names have gone away but in 2008 there seemed to be a lot of trail names with "bear" in it. Bear bait, Bear Bag etc....
    Not dead yet. 7 bears on the 2013 2,000 miler list which was posted earlier in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    so many lone wolf's out there , Bigfoot and striders too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Come on, if you have been around WB, you know there is "only one Lone Wolf'. The rest are just posers.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by DocMahns View Post
    I was planning on going with Doc because it's the military nickname given to all hospital corpsman that serve with the marines and what I was called for 5 years, but since it's a popular one on the AT I'm rethinking it.
    Was gonna go with Doc since that is what some of my students call me, but it was already taken on WB, so I stuck with Astro chosen by my son. Actually he was originally Astro and I was "Old Astro", but when he stopped after our second section at Dicks Creek, I dropped the Old.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++