WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Don't really think about it, I'd say i'm probably 70% NOBO, and 30% SOBO. Did the Wilderness SOBO in June one year. Did Dickey Gap back to Damascus another year, but other than that I've gone almost entirely NOBO...just happens to be the way it works out for shuttles, etc. I really don't have a preference, although my favorite so far has been both my SOBO hikes.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

I don't have much preference. I just start and stop at points that logistically seem to work out best. I like stopping near a town so I'm close to food.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    VA 635 AKA Stony Creek Rd - Trail head between Pine Swamp Branch and Baily Gap Shelters - 71 miles to Daleville.
    This includes a crossing of VA 621, I believe, just south of Kelly Knob? Where my attempted thru ended, and where I finally finished the trail 17 years later, ambling down from PA way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Depends on which direction is downhill!
    Glad somebody else said it! Look at the elevations of the two planned endpoints. Start at the higher one!
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I go NOBO for no other reason than I decreed that I would do all my sections NOBO. That was 7 years ago, and I've now done about half of the trail...I wish I hadn't of laid down that decree, but I'm going to honor it anyway. That way I'll have done a NOBO hike once I finish.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Lemni Skate View Post
    Glad somebody else said it! Look at the elevations of the two planned endpoints. Start at the higher one!
    I did a number of my sections as bike-hikes, so my logic was exactly the opposite. I'd leave the car at the highest trailhead, bike to the other end (by road) then walk back to the car and pick up the bike on the drive home. Eg. hiking from Gorham to Grafton Notch, I'd rather bike going the other way, and coast downhill from the Notch.

Taking this same approach on the Long Trail, there's no way to win. It's always a stiff uphill over several miles to the trail crossing.

Section hikers take it* any way they can get it.

North or South.
    In the heat.
    In the rain (raingear optional).
    Uphill and downhill.
    Quickly or for days and weeks at a time.

With or without a dog.
    Alone or in groups.
    Day or night.

*it being hikes that is.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I did most of mine SOBO because it was easier to find people on here going NOBO and then set up car swaps with them. The other advantage of SOBO is most people are NOBO and you can hit them up for trail intel.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    I hike to my car. Sometimes its NObO, sometimes SOBO. Depends on where the car is, normally a hostel, or trail town (Franklin, Hot Springs, Erwin, Duncannon, Damascus, etc.). Most times I'll do one hike Nobo and the next Sobo using the same ending point and shuttle provider.
    This is exactly what I do as well. Same line of thinking when setting up my next section.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm nearly to Harpers Ferry & I switch my directions up in hopes of seeing a few thru's so I can learn how their hike is going & to encourage them since they are right round their 1/2 way point & I feel they could use a little love..
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I like going SOBO but as I mostly hike to and from my car it really doesn't natter I see the trail in both directions anyway.

Yup, VA 621 will be about 1/2 way.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

sometimes the parking or shuttle situation dictates direction, but normally I try to go down hill.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

The last few years, I have hiked SOBO in the Spring and NOBO in the Fall. Last year, Damascus to Erwin ran into about 80 hikers.

My plan is to summit Springer and Katahdin in the same year...............this year am going to switch things up, going from the Smokies to Erwin.

I prefer yo-yo to avoid hitchhiking and shuttles, but I did VA mostly unidirectional with the help of Greyhound.

Images

Almost all SOBO - don't know why.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    sometimes the parking or shuttle situation dictates direction, but normally I try to go down hill.
    Completely true for us.
    One possible exception: If a section has a particularly difficult or dangerous incline, we will adjust our direction according to the advice of those who have "been there, done that."

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Section hikers take it* any way they can get it.

North or South.
    In the heat.
    In the rain (raingear optional).
    Uphill and downhill.
    Quickly or for days and weeks at a time.

With or without a dog.
    Alone or in groups.
    Day or night.

*it being hikes that is.
    Alligator- This post is so funny- I love it! You covered it all... LOL. & everything in between! Of course you had me with all the emoticons!

I happen to agree with you too! Section hikers will git it any way they can... jus git er done!

C'mon Spring!

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Interesting. I figured I was in for the long haul, saving vertical never entered my mind in choosing direction.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Interesting. I figured I was in for the long haul, saving vertical never entered my mind in choosing direction.
    I section hike with my daughter. When we can work out the logistics so that we can do a section avoiding the big climbs,(like earlyriser26) we are open to changing directions. (we do)

We aren't "purists", but I do admire the ones that section hike, in the same direction, the entire way "up" or "down" the trail.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++