WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Toli,

This is a thread celebrating someone's life. Someone who obviously inspired many people.

Whether you agree with this sentiment or not is immaterial.

Please be a bit more respectful and cease stirring the pot.

thanks.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

The old saying if you cannot say something good about someone then do not say nothing at all. Bill was truely an inspiration. I read the book about his hike and what determination he had! Could only come from God above. We will really miss him.
    Grey Ghost

Well put Mags! I did not see the inappropriate post but a big Thank You to Marta for taking action and removing them.

I met Bill during his 1990 thru-hike. He is a man that really turn his life around. As previously stated, he inspired others with his faith.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Thank you Lone Wolf. That was beautiful.

+1...........

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    Well put Mags! I did not see the inappropriate post but a big Thank You to Marta for taking action and removing them.

I met Bill during his 1990 thru-hike. He is a man that really turn his life around. As previously stated, he inspired others with his faith.

Wolf
    I saw the posts. It seemed like they were referring to Bill, at first, but they were not apparently. Nonetheless, they had nothing to do with this thread. #wuzupwitdat. Thanks Mags and Marta.

I sooo wish I could have met Bill, myself! What an awesome man he was.. making a difference in others people's lives too.

What a guy. A great achievement.What is the name of his book?
    Frightening just to walk a little while with my eyes closed. I had to do spell of night walking in the 100 mile wilderness.I tripped several times on roots and I thought my luck is going to run out and I am going to seriously fall; so made my mind up, bears or no bears, at the next clearing I am going to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by English Stu View Post
    What a guy. A great achievement.What is the name of his book?
    Frightening just to walk a little while with my eyes closed. I had to do spell of night walking in the 100 mile wilderness.I tripped several times on roots and I thought my luck is going to run out and I am going to seriously fall; so made my mind up, bears or no bears, at the next clearing I am going to stop.
    Blind Courage

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Blind Courage
    http://www.billirwin.org/author.html

Quote Originally Posted by English Stu View Post
    What a guy. A great achievement...(concerning to me as well) just to walk a little while with my eyes closed....I tripped several times on roots and I thought my luck is going to run out and I am going to seriously fall.....
    After reading Blind Courage I tried hiking for a 1/4 mile with my eyes closed and blindfolded. I stumbled and fell repeatedly. I felt I had to take the blindfold off before I seriously injured myself. What Bill did not only on the trail but with his life is an encouragement to us all IF WE LET IT. A true AT legend in my mind. I celebrate Bill Erwin's life!

Images

On the hiking side of this story when I asked Bill how the heck he hiked the AT and what frustrated him the most?

His answer was "Road crossings. Come out on one side of the road and have to find the trail on the other side. That really frustrated me a few times."

He just wanted to get back into the woods back onto the AT

Seriously, doing the AT legally blind?

I have often tried to close my eyes for X steps...........Georgia to Maine?

Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    On the hiking side of this story when I asked Bill how the heck he hiked the AT and what frustrated him the most?

His answer was "Road crossings. Come out on one side of the road and have to find the trail on the other side. That really frustrated me a few times."
    Bill and me both. I've got perfectly good eyes, and that was one of my favorite gripes as well. So many roads, so many roads...

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post

He just wanted to get back into the woods back onto the AT

Seriously, doing the AT legally blind?

I have often tried to close my eyes for X steps...........Georgia to Maine?

Amazing.
    I've tried this as well, not on the trail but just in general, hope everyone has tried this at some point in there life...it's quite telling.

Thanks Lone Wolf, I will seek out a copy to read.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Interesting story of how I met him back in 1991: I was at an AT convention in Mass. Came out of a building where a salesman for the Zipp stove was demonstrating a model to a hiker. I stepped around to watch the guy attempt to do what the salesman told him to do and immediately recognized Bill. He was about to do what the salesman said and reached for the stove that was aflame. I quickly grabbed his hand and told him to stop, then scolded the salesman for not telling Bill about the flames AND that he was blind. DUH!! Bill thanked me and he and Orient walked with me over to the outdoor presentation area, all the while, telling me wonderful stories about his hike.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

BTW, Bill didn't do the trail entirely unassisted. He did have others along the way that watched out for him as he walked long.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    BTW, Bill didn't do the trail entirely unassisted. He did have others along the way that watched out for him as he walked long.
    As we all do.

Never met Bill, wish I had, am tearing up even with not having met him. Ah, who am I kidding, I'm nearly crying!

Thanks Bill, you were & are an inspiration!
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

An amazing man! The other part of his hike he shared with me was when he was in PA, a drought year, HOT, no water on the ridges. Bill said, "a dog will ALWAYS find water. I followed Orient through stickers, scrub bush, over rocks, down steep mountains, fell a lot of times. We always found water. Then we had to go back up and find the trail".

Bill Irwin was one TOUGH "DUDE".

Has all of my respect.

I never met Bill in person. We talked on the phone a couple of times. He told me to stop by last fall, but I didn't want to intrude. I was crushed when I got the news of his passing. I wanted so much to tell him how much of an inspiration he was to me, and how much his story touched my heart. I had the chance and I blew it. Those of you that were blessed enough to have met Bill, are better today because of it I'm sure. My prayers are with his loved ones...
    "Never lose faith, and Never give up."
    Bill Irwin

There is a movie in the works on Bill's hike ... or at least in the early stages:

http://www.blindcouragethemovie.com/
    BirdShooter
    n2backpacking.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++